Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • what an utter IDIOT i am for BELIEVING something EVANS told me!
  • bonj
    Free Member

so i need a new mech for my MTB, i go into evans to get one.
    I was about to buy a nice shimano shadow one, when the bloke says ‘sram ones are very good, work well and have good clearance’
    ‘ah but they aren’t compatible with shimano shifters are they?’
    ‘er.. yes, they are’ he said.
    ‘are you sure?’
    ‘yep.’
    ‘Can you check, ‘cos i thought shimano had 2:1 actuation ratio and sram had 1:1 ratio or something like that, and therefore they weren’t compatible?’
    (goes off to check with ‘the mechanic’)
    (comes back)
    ‘yep, they definitely are compatible’.

ok then i’ll buy it, cos i’ve broke two shimano ones recently.

get home, the inevitable discovery occurs.

WHY oh WHY do these IMBECILES feel the need to avoid saying “I don’t know” at all costs!?! for **** sake…
    You don’t know SH1T about bikes and you never fu*king will…

Still, i suppose like i say it’s my fault for letting the moronic brainless little tw4t convince me against my belief of the truth.

ABSOLUTE CRETIN

Can anybody please tell me nice stories to calm me down and give me loads of good reasons why evans staff are worthwhile organisms because on tuesday when i take it back i’d rather calmly walk out with a shimano one instead of the police being called to chuck me out.

PePPeR

Certain SRAM rear mechs are compatible with Shimano, they always have names and are usually at the lower end of the range, SRAM Rocket springs to mind.

Nick

Still, i suppose like i say it’s my fault for letting the moronic brainless little tw4t convince me against my belief of the truth.

Well yes, but don’t let that stand in the way of a good rant especially when it’s aimed at soft target like Evans or Dave Hinde etc

simonralli2
    Free Member

Are you sure you haven’t just put it on the wrong way round or something like that?

scaredypants

I didn’t know they made derailleurs that work with shimano – though I know Rocket SHIFTERS do operate shimano mechs

Are you sure PePPeRrRrRRR ??

PJ266
    Free Member

NO sram rear mechs work with shimano shifters.

grumm
    Free Member

There are sram shifters that work with Shimano mechs – called SX rather than X.

armyrider
    Free Member

They are halfwits, and dangerous too. Some especially low IQ mechanic there was convinced my pivot bolt was upposed to be in two halves.

Spare me

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can’t believe no one has posted the Ha Ha picture of Nelson from the simpsons yet. Come on guys, what gives?

brakes
    Free Member

which store was it?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ah well.

slowdown
    Free Member

ooh look. an Evans advert next to this triumphal discourse.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hang on, your having a rant beacuse you f*cked up??

ABSOLUTE CRETIN

Nail on head..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

and yes, the rocket and attack shifters run with simano mechs.

Its my prefered setup, becasue i can run a rapid rise mech, and the sram paddles are unmissably huge!

Speshpaul

Why wouldn’t it work?
    Its a rear mech, its not indexed. the mech allows the chain to move between two stops that are set by the limit screws.
    The shifters move the chain and control how far it moves which has to match the cassette spacing.
    So will a sram X9 mech work with a XT shifter, well it should.
    Will it give you the best shifting in the world, well may be not.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So will a sram X9 mech work with a XT shifter, well it should.
    Will it give you the best shifting in the world, well may be not.

as I understand it the Shimano shifter would need 2 clicks per gear change, and leave the mech only half way across the cassette 🙁

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

which store?

waits for captain toiletflush to comment……….

pypdjl
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t it work?

The mech needs a different amount of cable pull per shift.

armyrider
    Free Member

My particular bout of ‘special needs’ mechanic encounter was Waterloo

aP
    Free Member

I remember years ago attempting to buy an expensive seatpost in Evans opposite Waterloo station and when I asked to buy it (£90 or so) the guy behind the counter reached up picked out a £5 seatpost and told me I should buy that instead. So I bought one from Condors instead which 10 years later I still have and use.
    I never, ever buy anything from Evans that I need advice on as I know that it’ll be wrong.

grumm
    Free Member

He was probably right, £90 for a seatpost! My adjustable one cost about that. 😛

I’m quite astounded that you knew it wouldn’t work, yet let the grease monkey convince you it would. Who’s the numpty?

bonj
    Free Member

brakes
    what store was it?

nottingham

bonj
    Free Member

I’m quite astounded that you knew it wouldn’t work, yet let the grease monkey convince you it would. Who’s the numpty?

Exactly! that’s why i’m angry with myself for being so stupid…
    my only explanation is that i thought maybe just maybe he knows that they’ve recently changed them to be the same ratio.

gravitydroppersrock
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

good point well made

bonj
    Free Member

as I understand it the Shimano shifter would need 2 clicks per gear change, and leave the mech only half way across the cassette

yes, the sram mech only moves half way across the cassette.
    basically SRAM shifters pull more cable than shimano ones.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Evans (Waterloo Cut branch, fact fans) once told me “you can just undo the bolts a bit more” when one of their monkeys presented me with an Easton stem although I wanted a stem for my Cannondale Lefty and told them the Easton would be no good.

Avoid.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘what an utter IDIOT i am for BELIEVING something EVANS told me!’ is closed to new replies.