Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What am I doing wrong? 1×11 rear mech set up
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m trying to tune the gears on my new 1×11 set up but without the chain on I can’t get the mech to adjust enough to sit in line with the largest sprocket.

The smallest is lined up perfectly but the largest doesn’t have enough adjustment with the screw. I can’t get it to move left enough so that the jockey wheel is in line with the largest sprocket.

I know it’s user error but what is the error?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

cable too tight?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The cable isn’t attached at this point of the set up. This is done by turning the high/low screws and manipulating the mech by hand.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Assuming that you have fitted the mech properly I would check that the b tension is wound out enough that the jockey wheel isn’t fouling on the big sprocket.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah the b tension is set so that if I hold the mech at the large sprocket it’s has around 5mm of space. Problem is there isn’t enough adjustment to allow the mech to reach the large sprocket. Turning the screw does nothing at this point.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Wheel in dropouts properly ? Bolted up correctly ? Correct cassette on correctly installed freehub? Mech attached correctly?

rob2
    Free Member

I’d set it up with the cable and chain then adjust. I did mine yesterday and it looked like it wouldn’t work when on its own but with the chain on etc it set up first time. And stupid question but are you sure you are adjusting the right ones? I got mine the wrong way round at first.

bumper
    Free Member

are you pushing it by hand as well as using the shifter to see if there’s any extra movement inboard?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m pretty sure they’re the right ones. I’ve set up loads of rear mechs and never had a problem. To be honest I thought this would be the simplest yet not having a front mech to worry about.

I’ll try with the chain and cable on. Maybe my outer casing length isn’t right.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah, by hand it reaches the large sprocket but with cable attached and chain it doesn’t line up and there is no more inwards (towards the wheel) adjustment.

bumper
    Free Member

if it’ll reach by hand it must be cable tension

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s more that one of the steps is lining the jockey wheel up to the largest sprocket using the screw so it sits directly in line. Pushing by hand it does but using just the adjustment screw it won’t move far enough.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m trying to tune the gears on my new 1×11 set up but without the chain on I can’t get the mech to adjust enough to sit in line with the largest sprocket.

Why are you trying to adjust it without the chain on? You’re wasting your time there sunshine! Put the chain on!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I was just following the guide that came with the mech. The first adjustment is with chain off and cable not attached.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve found the xt 11-speed quite tricky to set up perfectly, in fact I was about to post a question about that. However you should definately be able to adjust the limit screws to have more than enough movement.

If I can hijack (but your might need to know this too), I’m struggling to get it so that the chain never touches the larger sprocket in all cogs, fine for the smaller 8, but for 9 and 10 I get the chain touching the larger sprocket next to it. I’ve spent ages tweaking cable tension and limits but it always happens. I’m not sure if it’s an issue or not? No noise or jumping, just touching..

sillyoldman

Pushing by hand it does but using just the adjustment screw it won’t move far enough.

If it’s lining up when you push it by hand, then nothing is wrong. It’s just a limit stop screw – you’ll need to act against the spring (with hand, or with shifter/cable) to get the mech to move over.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood?

sillyoldman

Ferrals – just give the b-tension screw a clockwise turn – that should give you clearance.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity, the shifter isn’t one or two clicks in from highest gear is it? This would make it seem like the mech won’t shift any further than say the 9th sprocket as the shifter thinks you’re already in the 11th one.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve made that mistake before but nope, definitely on the bottom gear.

I’ll reset everything and start again. Might just be my foggy brain today.

rob2
    Free Member

Not that it will feel like it now, but when they are set up they are really good. Shifters have a nice crisp click to them. Good luck sir

julzm
    Free Member

Might be a stupid question but you haven’t gotten the upper and lower limit screws mixed up have you? I made this mistake with SRAM stuff and drove me mad trying to figure out why I couldn’t get it perfect, and turning them seemed to have no effect whatsoever. 😳
    Once I figured it out it was perfect.
    Also do you have the clutch off whilst sorting the mech?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yep clutch off and correct screws.

I’m going to reset everything and start again. Everything was going so well too.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Yup it’ll be the B, I had this just last week when I did mine for the first time, same thing. Reset and readdress

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Doesn’t the b just do up and down though? When I hold the mech by hand it’s about 5mm below the large sprocket. That’s right isn’t it?

Not sure I fully know how to reset back to fresh?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Bent hanger?

coatesy
    Free Member

As said above, if you can move it far enough by hand, then it won’t be the limit screw (all that does is limit how far the mech can move inwards), so it’s most likely to be a lack of cable tension. How much slack in the inner cable is there when you’ve shifted into the smallest sprocket, if your high limit screw is correct then there should be just a trace of slack in it, much more and you’ll not make it to the bigger sprockets.Bear in mind that this is only a sarting point to work from anyway, you’re unlikely to get it spot-on without a chain fitted. Also,re. cable tension, without forcing it, shift up the cassette a couple of times whilst holding the mech to stop it moving, this should seat the cables in their end-caps and stops so you aren’t working against a system that’s effectively self-adjusting.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What am I doing wrong? 1×11 rear mech set up’ is closed to new replies.