Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • what am i doing wrong
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

ok i go out riding with my son and sometimes with his mate too (now yep they are half my age and bmale…. but when im in a higher gear why is it that my son and his mate are still way ahead of me ? my legs are pounding to the dozen sometimes and im burning too much energy to keep up with them… im alittle hap hazzard when it comes to gears, sometimes im sure its wrong then i end up peddling too fast and completely burn myself out ……. i guess its my age ? and the fact that males are obvioulsy stronger.
    thing is tho if im in 5th or 6th then crank up, i still get left behind ? why is this…. i do have alot smaller frame too or hasnt that got anything to do with it…

mamadirt
    Free Member

Try to brake less – seriously, riding singlespeed has taught me to be less wimpy in the braking department. Having said that though, my lads don’t ride any more but on quick trip to the shops recently, my middle lad left me for dead on his bmx 😕 . . . and he is just over a third my age 🙄 Still, age has nothing to do with it . . . the oldest member of the family and the only one who regularly comes home with grazed knees and covered in mud (thank God – wouldn’t want to have to clean up after them as well 😉 )

Del

guess you’re new here Elaine?
    hello.
    first off – they’re boys. they’ve been riding bikes a lot. you maybe haven’t. i’m making assumptions. there’s only one way to get bike fit. ride your bike.
    if you can, find a route that’s pedaling all the the way. no stopping, no free-wheeling. ’bout an hour, maybe two if you’re feeling tough. ride it once or twice a week. time yourself. get faster. you’ll be amazed how much quicker you get, err, quickly.
    have fun too!
    all the best.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    garage-dweller

Different people have different comfort zones for number of revs per minute when pedalling. IE the number of times you do a complete circle of the pedal every minute.

The range is generally from 60rpm (slow pedalling, hard pushing) up to about 120rpm (easy to push but legs turn real quick – people who ride like this used to be called twiddlers).

Aim for something in the middle rhythm wise. When you say legs are pounding to the dozen do you mean your feet are going round really quickly or really slowly?

If it’s really quickly (not much shoving needed) then try a smaller cog at the back or bigger one at the front, until your feet are going round between 60 and 90 times a minute. Obviously the opposite for if your legs are going too slow.

If you’re strong but bulky (like I am) you’re probably going to be nearer the 60, if you’re lightly built and supple then closer to 90.

Also make sure your saddles at the right height. Roughly speaking with your HEEL on the pedal your leg should be almost completely straight when the pedal’s at the bottom.

IHN

Hello from me two.

If you’re spinning away like a hamster, you probably need to change up a gear or two – you’re looking for a nice steady rhythm in your pedal strokes. Think of it like a car, keeping it in second or third and revving the nuts off it isn’t the most efficient way.

IHN

He said it all better than me.

tails
    Free Member

Put the pedal to the metal 😀 seriously just ride your bike and one day you’ll get all scared your going to fast. Also he’s your son tell him to slow down or no pocket money.

elaineanne
    Free Member

garage dweller…yep some good pointers there….
    im not new on here , i used to be called pinkie123 then wen the website ceashed i had to change my name but couldnt get on here for ages…
    yep so when i watch my son after 2 full rotations that he is doing (im doing 4 so im burning myself out quicker than he is !
    suppose its all trial and error and what you feel comfortable with your own speed….
    im ok when im out on my own , i go at my own comfortable speed ( not snail pace by the way) lol …. but i like to go out riding with my son as he has got me into doing alot of hill climbs to get stronger legs… and i can do those now without stopping much…

elaineanne
    Free Member

tails : hahah thats funny i could tell him to slow down or no pocket money but he doesnt get pocket money anymore !!! hes 21 ! got more money than me ! lol…..

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Well you’ve already earned my respect Elaine, I hope your son realises how lucky he is to have an active mum!

I hate climbing, but I find I am much better at it when I forsake the lighter gears for one where I have to put effort in and put the power down. It seems to be more draining initially but if you can gut it out and maintain some kind of cadence you’ll be rewarded. I also prefer a smaller frame than is strictly neccesary and I find it also helps here to “muscle” the bike through the climbs as opposed to grinding them out on the granny ring.

MrNutt
    Free Member

let some air out of their tyres!

sockpuppet

even allowing for differences between people, it’s unlikely you need to be turning your legs round twice as often as they do…

sorry if i’m teaching you to suck eggs here, but higher gears are harder to turn, but the bike goes faster. your legs go slower!

it sounds like your having most problems in lower gears, rather than higher gears, from your description. IHN is right – if you’re spinning like mad and don’t feel comfortable, change into a harder gear and see if that feels better

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘what am i doing wrong’ is closed to new replies.