Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What am I describing? (metalwork question)
  • franksinatra

I need to get a small piece of metal work done for a project and I don’t want to sound like a complete tool when talking to the fabrication place.

I an getting a metal ‘tube’ made that will be abount 7inches in diameter. It will fit around a slightly smaller diameter tube. This will be used to disguise some damage to the smaller tube but it is not structural, the new one is purely cosmetic. The larger tube cannot slide over the smaller one, it needs to be ‘wrapped’ around it. I am therefore asking for the tube to be split and flexible enough to do this.

You still with me? If so, this is the bit that I struggle with. I will need to clamp the new tube shut, I think this would be best done with a clamp a bit like you get on some older suitcase or storage boxes. It has a square metal loop that clips onto a hook, the whole things is then tensioned by pushing a lever down. It is the sort of thing you see on strong camera cases, the metal ones with foam inside them. It does though need to be curved to fit the shape of the tube.

Does that make sense, what is that clamp called?

DrP

I googled ‘suitcase clasp’ and found the trail from there…

DrP

Cougar

Not quite the same field, but I think you’ve just described a springform pan.

DrP

SUITCASE LATCH works betterer…..

DrP

kevj
    Free Member

If I understand what you require correctly, then I suggest you look on the Stauff website for either a 7″ OD pipe clamp or even an accumulator clamp.
    These are available off the shelf and <should> fulfill your requirements. Slightly more robust than the clamp locking mechanism you describe though.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

What you need is a split double standard transverse cyclic sleeve complete with a non-actuated retaining ringstrap, they come in both left and right handed modes, and are in all metric sizes up to 8 inches

irelanst
    Free Member

The clamps are generically called over-center latches/clamps, or toggle latches/clamps.

franksinatra

suitcase clasp
    springform pan
    suitcase latch
    OD pipe clamp
    accululator clamp
    split double standard transverse cyclic sleeve complete with a non-actuated retaining ringstrap
    over-center latches/clamps
    toggle latches/clamps

I’m sure within that lot is the perfect product, thanks!

maccruiskeen

A lockdown clasp latch perhaps

or a drawbolt catch

Look at the Adam Hall and Penn Elcom catalogues perhaps, they have all sorts of buckles and latches for flight cases and the like

bigyinn
    Free Member

Jubilee clip? Hose clip?

Duane…
    Free Member

Duck tape?

johnellison
    Free Member

+1 for toggle latch. Check rswww.com, they’ll have em.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What am I describing? (metalwork question)’ is closed to new replies.