Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What AM bike for £1500?
  • spacemonkey

Yes, I know there are similar threads but not found one exactly mimicking my requirement …

Basically, I’ve been road riding for the last 2 yrs and my bouncer hasn’t had a look in (after 15 yrs straight). Recently got the itch to hit the trails again and want a new bike (almost certain to be in XL) instead of doing up my carbon Stumpy.

XL most likely required. Slack. 1×11 or 2x. 140mm+ forks. Want to feel confident hitting the steep stuff and messing around for 3-4 hours as opposed to all day XC epics. Budget £1500 but know there is always something better for that bit more.

Bird Zero AM with upgrades comes in at £1750 for 1×11 and £1900 for 1×12. Booking a demo and could be close to perfect but both options more than I was to spend.

Whyte 901 and 905 not available anywhere in XL.

Sentier possibly, but have only found an XL 29er.

What else is there, or what do you know is available?

Cheers all

chestrockwell

What about the Orange p7? Just got one and initial impressions are very good. It makes me want to arse about in a way my 29er fs doesn’t.

Think Sunset MTB have XL and are offering another 10% off with their code. 😉

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Other half has rediscovered her riding mojo on a Zero Am and couldn’t be happier. She went for NX and the stock DT Swiss wheels to keep it below £1500 and is more than happy with it.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Stating the obvious….for £1500 I’d definitely go secondhand.
    A mate just bought a mint Pivot for that money.

prawny

I’d probably go for the NX bird zero and just put a dropper on it. You wouldn’t get much better for just over £1500 new.

I got a Sentier VRS because my budget was £1 tops, it’s good but they’re a lot shorter than the zeros. If you’re tall you might be better off with the bird even though the VRX is a pretty thing.

That said, the new P7 is better specced than the one I was looking at earlier in the year. Not a bad buy for less than £1300.

chakaping
    Free Member

New AM hardtail with 27in wheels?

I’d be looking at the P7 too.

scaled
    Free Member

There’s a tasty looking (large) Liteville 301 in the classifieds

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-complete-liteville-301-mk-10-size-large

spacemonkey

Had previously dismissed the P7 in favour of a Crush or maybe a Clockwork. Don’t know why as it seems a pretty sort bike on reflection. Sunset not showing XL in either model for me though.

VRS I like except for the colour – have had too many dark/bronze coloured bikes and really want something more lairy. 2016 29er looks the part.

Same for the Liteville.

Yep, GX 1×11 AM still comes in as a favourite (esp with the Yari now back in stock) at £1550. Don’t think much else can touch this

Secondhand – not enough activity out there for XLs. A few bouncers but I’m keen to go HT.

Cheers all

Andy-R

Never mind the colour – that Liteville is a bloody good buy. If I hadn’t all but lost my riding mojo I’d be sorely tempted to buy it, to have another 301 to use in Greece.

All the more of a bargain because it has both the 140 and 160mm rockers, the Syntace SCS guide and the mech guard.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris XL
    It’s 120mm travel but that’s ok cos it’s a 29er. Which is what you want if you’re that tall anyway

spacemonkey

Nah, the Solaris doesn’t do it for me. Nor does the Litespeed colour – seriously, I need something dayglo in my biking life!

Ragley Blue Pig was the other option. Stock not good though.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Probably a Sonder Transmitter NX1/Yari at £1299 plus a £100 Brand X dropper and a couple of upgrades ?

They do a loud blue and a loud green.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

There was an XL Singular Swift on here a week or two back.

Andy-R

spacemonkey – Member
    Nah, the Solaris doesn’t do it for me. Nor does the Litespeed colour – seriously, I need something dayglo in my biking life

Liteville 301 and powder coat it?

joebristol

If you’re test riding a Bird it might be worth testing one of their fs bikes at the same time, but you’d need to find about £400 over your budget to get on the bottom rung of the Aeris 145. So much fun and just smashes through all sorts of tough terrain whilst still being fun.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

I’ve had the bird zero am, with xfusion slants and slx for about ten weeks now, went back from a Jekyll and I honestly love it. Really doesn’t feel that much different apart from The bird climbs better and handles quicker due to a small rear triangle. Super slack and very comfy. I actually quicker on some twisty dh’s than on the Jekyll. I’m within a second or so of all my other dh pb’s. Very capable bike. Mines and xl too (6ft 3″) and it’s feels very playful and not gate like at all. Customer service is top notch too. The bike came properly built, spokes tensioned, all cables adjusted etc, only had to straighten the bars. Just had to put a dropper on and went for the brand x. 10 weeks in and about 250-300 miles it’s still perfect! Best value ever.

Considered a crush /p7 too, but value wise they’re not great…

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

And my bird configuration came in at £1400…. apart from the dropper

chestrockwell

Had previously dismissed the P7 in favour of a Crush or maybe a Clockwork. Don’t know why as it seems a pretty sort bike on reflection. Sunset not showing XL in either model for me though.

Stif have defo got a XL in their showroom, or at least they did last week.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What AM bike for £1500?’ is closed to new replies.