Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What allotment knife?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Dads birthday, only think I can think of that he doesn’t already have is a pen knife for using on his allotment, for picking cabbages etc.

After something that locks and will keep a sharp edge, bearing in mind he’ll be cutting through muddy roots etc. Any suggestions?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Opinel.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Yep, fourbanger is right Opinel is what you want, No.8 is a good size around the garden/veggie patch. Maybe the stainless steel blade rather than the carbon steel ones would be better for wet and muddy use. Relatively inexpensive too, tape it to a nice bottle of scotch maybe? You won’t get a much better knife for him by spending more money.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys, just ordered a ‘Pruning Knife No. 8’ 😀

stevied
    Free Member

+1 Opinel. Had one for years and still going strong.

organic355
    Free Member

I was looking for something similar for the garden, for openeing bags of compost, cutting rhubarb, twine etc.

I settled on a Leatherman c33lx (comes in many models, the x is the combo serrated bladed, amd the L denotes blade launcher system I think?)

Carabiner also works as a bottle opener which is a bonus 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

My pocket always contains an Ontario RAT… (when I’m working in the garden/wood, obviously).

Non-serrated version for me, holds an edge forever and feels beautifully made.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What allotment knife?’ is closed to new replies.