Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What All-Mountain helmet apart from Fox Flux?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Had a Flux for 4 years, need a new similar helmet. Any alternatives I should try on before I buy another to replace it?
    Flux is a little warm but fits my head perfectly.
    Tried:
    THE F-14 – bad fit
    Urge Enduromatic – too small even in largest size (New Urge All-Mountain version probably same bad sizing and now launch been put back to February so stuff ’em!)
    Various others that I can’t remember.

flow
    Free Member

Urge won’t be cool, and you would look like someone off Kick Start, lucky they don’t fit.

Giro Hex

Giro Xar

Met Slant

Met Kaos

661 Recon

juan
    Free Member

Urge helmet are shit. Factomundo.

spudly1979
    Free Member

got a 661 recon, really comfy, but is fairly warm!

bruneep

Ahh kick start….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZ60sT9tXQ[/video]

Deveron53
    Free Member

tried the Recon, sat a bit too high, not as good a fit as flux. Urge have got a new recon/flux – ish lid coming out.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Protec.
    Great stuff

flow
    Free Member

Giro Xar sounds good

That clip is funny

Big-Pete
    Free Member

I have a flux but much prefer the Xar that I recently aquired (Merlin seem to be cheapest on Flux at the mo)

jedi

kali protectives are worth a look.
    scott karma
    met kaos

takisawa2

You’ve got to try them on. Giro seems to suit my bonce, & I’m happy with the Hex I have. Had a Xen but found it too warm. Fox didnt sit right, & 661 were really off the mark. The Hex & Xar have the Rocloc5 system (I think) which is very good. The Xen still has the old system.

grantway
    Free Member

I use to use a Xen which is great, but then tried a Urge. To dame hot
    used it for 30mins then chucked it in the van and put me Xen back on.

But for proper All Mountain with rocks etc i now use a Specalized Devient
    Bloody brilliant and you will have to remove the cheek pads that just
    clip in for all day riding.

Bosh
    Free Member

Giro zen….. Had mine for 3 years now… Very solid and well fitting

robsoctane
    Free Member

What Bosh Said… perfect for me too.

shredder
    Free Member

This looks interesting was featured within some guys post on here from a show he’d been to. Cant find anymore details out at the mo.

Giro Feature

Pauly

Met Kaos UL.

thered

I find helmets areally individual thing, Giro fit my bonce lovely but spesh really badly, met not very well and I’ve never tried fox.

Obv i know but try before you order

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve just bitten the bullet on a Fox Flux 2010 model, came yesterday. I’ve always worn Giro before but didn’t really like any of the colour schemes currently on offer.
    Anyway, the Flux fits well but i notice its a lot wider but a bit lower than the old Hex i have, now the Hex appears to sit ‘atop’ my head rather than ‘around’ it. Flux is slightly heavier i reckon as well.
    Don’t know about heat dissipation for the Flux but the Hex was always dripping from the forehead pads when warm, the Flux i notice has vent channels around the rim to deal with this whereas the Hex is solid.

jam-bo

This looks interesting was featured within some guys post on here from a show he’d been to. Cant find anymore details out at the mo.
    Giro Feature

Looks like the discontinued semi-mx with square vents instead of round.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bloomin’ eck, justt looked on Merlin – even discounted helmets are damn pricey now!!

matt_outandabout

Uvex XP100 is ace – proper full head adjustment around and up/down. First cycling helmet that stay put properly on my head.

Deveron53
    Free Member

The Flux is a very hot helmet. I use mine for my daily commute and my specs need gutters to channel the sweat away! I need a nicely vented commuter helmet and an all-mountain lid. The commuter helmet needs mesh to stop insects as well, the feeling of bugs in the vents is not nice!

New Fox Striker – other colours are available. Reviewed in WMB and proclaimed to be the only trail helmet surpassing the Flux – slimmer profile and better venting £90

muddydwarf
    Free Member

One thing – how do you remove the straps for washing on the Flux?

I can see me being even more smelly than usual…

Can’t say I’ve ever washed any straps on any helmet. Pads yes, but straps no.

I’ll go and have a look at my Flux now….

You can’t remove the straps

rockfield
    Free Member

I have a Uvex Xp100 and its bloomin brilliant. So much more comfortable than the Giro Xen I had previously. Similar shape and coverage but its a lot lighter, the adjustable fit is better, it seems to deal with sweat a lot better and best of all its about half the price! Best bit of kit I have bought in ages..

Northwind

Striker seems obvious. Flux is fantastic despite being a pretty basic design so hopefully it’ll be a refinement of what already works so well.

Oh yeah, just to add – I had a Xen before the Flux and the Flux is a much better lid, comfort and heat wise

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bugger, wish i’s seen the Uvex lid before i bought the Fox! Just been out for a ride and the Flux is comfy, fits well and isn’t as hot as i was expecting so a win for me on that one!

soobalias
    Free Member

i didnt realise my uvex was an ‘all mountain’ lid

its comfy on my head

brakes
    Free Member

I bought a Fox Striker after wearing a Fox Flux for about 4 years, pretty much every day on my commute.
    Striker is much nicer – lighter, fits better to your head – clamps around it, cooler, and looks better – I don’t think the protection is that much lower either.

here’s a pic of me in mine 😀

if I was wearing my Flux, I wouldn’t have been so far ahead 😉

Bit ott for a road ride brakes…. 😉

brakes
    Free Member

true, but as you can see, I’m about to drop-in to a massive canyon

nodrog2
    Free Member

Liking my 661 recon. Lightweight and comfy. Only 2 sizes though and a lot of people seem to be in between sizes, worth a look though. The straps being fixed to the side of the helmet is a nice touch as they don’t interfere with glasses.

Just to add to your point nodrog2 – the Flux straps sit well away from the side of the head and are great with glasses. My Xen was a PITA.

dougieb
    Free Member

Another vote for the Uvex XP100 – brilliant lid, very light, loads of adjustability and very competitive pricing. I also have a Giro Hex and the Uvex is way better.

andyl
    Free Member

As takisawa2 said – the Rocloc 5 on the Hex is MUCH better than the older version. Easy to back off when on climbs and tighten back up with gloves one.

I tried a Casco helmet at my lbs which was pretty nice. But doesnt seem to be on their site any more.

Go try and see what you like.

flow
    Free Member

Buy the Poc Trabec and you will look like this…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What All-Mountain helmet apart from Fox Flux?’ is closed to new replies.