Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What All Day Pack?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Looking to get a decent size pack to use for longer rides and some walking. Needs to be able to hold water-3 litre baldder maybe, food for 2 and waterproofs for 2 and all the spares/tools/pumps etc.

Just wondered if anyone had any reccomendations?

Will

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i was in your position and bought a quecha one from decathlon – tis ace and was £30 inc a bladder

pjbarton
    Free Member

i have innov8’s 30 litre pack – not very tough and only 2 litre i think – very light tho.
    and the bladder’s round your lumber and doesn’t move about.

30 l might be too big? they do all sizes…

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG2&L=26&P=5050973017

Mackem

An Alpkit Gourdon does the job.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ergon Is worth the ££ IMO.

jonb
    Free Member

ALkit gourdon would be big enough. I just have something from blacks, about 15L as my 25L gourdon is too big for most things. Suits me and I get everything you list in. It’s good that you can attach stuff to the outside so you have somewhere to put an extra layer if you realise you started off wearing too much.

waihiboy
    Free Member

camelbak ‘cloud walker’ is great, but…. only 2lt can fit 3lt bladder easy

s8tannorm
    Free Member

I use a Dakine Apex when I’m guiding. Plenty of room for everything … not the lightest but bombproof after 2 years of hammer.

stuart

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I use one of these…

Brillant bit of kit IMHO..

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestions, i was also looking at the Deuter Trans Alpine 30 so looks like a bit more though is needed!

househusband

Second Teetosugars suggestion – Osprey Talon. So comfortable and adjustable, way more so than any Camelbak I’ve had.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ll third an Alpkit. Can take time to find stuff in it but its very light and I’ve always found it comfy.

Dr_Bakes

I’ve got a Deuter Hydro EXP12 and it is brilliant. 3L bladder, three compartments and loads of pockets, expandable, rain cover, the list goes on. I got it for less than £40 online. Deuter packs are really well designed and I’d say it was well worth a look.

trail_rat
    Free Member

lol at alpkit gourdon suggestion …. i own one and i wouldnt like to wear it for more than 2 hours tbh … uncomfy and the straps are too wide and too close together and rub on my neck (and im a spindly wee **** so any of you broad guys with a big neck steer clear). Works well as a dry bag though !
    the osprey is comfy , got one of there smaller packs

used an inov8 one in anger —-if my camelback blowfish wasnt so good and durable thats where my money would be going …if i was to do transwales or something id have an inov8 .. the design is top notch and the pack is really light !

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

just to update-I have been and tried lots of packs. narrowed it down to a choice between an Osprey Atmos 35 or Osprey Exos 34!

DezB
    Free Member

Very interested in the outcome as I have to get one for an alps trip in a month.
    Discounted the Inov-8 cos the website is so bad! Deuter is top of my list as it is bike specific.
    Why have you decided on the Osprey?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I just liked the fit of them. They come in different back lengths and their large suits me much more than the other ‘one size fits all’ options. Seem like a really well made pack too. if it was mainly for biking I would go for the Exos right away-superlight for a pack of the size.

FWIW the deuter stuff also looks really good!

DezB
    Free Member

I’m looking at this one. Reckon I should go to a shop and try them on then? Probably a good idea thinking about it!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I looked at that one as-well. gets lots of good reviews. Well worth going to try them, especially as its so important that they are comfortable to wear.

DezB
    Free Member

Update – just bought the Vaude Alpin Air 30 +5. Got mine in Cycle Surgery, so I could try a load on (available a bit cheaper from Wiggle).
    I measured against non-bike specific packs like the Ospreys, North Face, lowe Alpine etc. and the Vaude is much shorter at the top, so less likely to be bumping on the helmet (oo-er). Very comfortable harness system too, fully adjustable. Should be lovely on me Alps trip. 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

Vaude Triset 25+4 Daypack.

Aeroflex back system keeps the rucksack away from your back so promoting good ventilation. A mesh back with a lightweight metal frame which produces about a 2 inch gap.

2 expansion side pockets.

Integral rainhood.

Shock cord gear attachment ror quick stowage.

2 x Ice axe/walking pole straps.

Hydration system compatible.

Volume 25 + 4 litres. The extra 4L is in the expanding side pockets.
    Side straps allow the pack to be fastened down in a more compact form when not so full.

I paid £36.

Excellent bit of kit!

Spongebob
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

That looks like the non-bike ones I was looking at – I think the top is too high. Still, you got a good price!

Spongebob
    Free Member

You can always leave the top pocket empty. I am tall so this isn't a problem anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was looking the other day and plumped for a Lezyne Power Pack, discounted to £30 at Merlin.

Looks about 18 litres capacity, which may be a tad small for your requirements, but would comfortably do one person as an all-day pack – and has a 3 litre bladder.

chakaping
    Free Member
    racing_ralph
    Free Member

i have one of those now – sorted the position out today and it feels good. Love the pockets with pix on – helps my autism when it comes to biking!!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What All Day Pack?’ is closed to new replies.