Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What Air Shock
  • Shirebikes
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’m a little out of the lop when it comes to airshocks these days – last time I paid much attention to them was when the RP3 was released!

Essentially my query is this – what air shocks are good enough for DH and have lockout/climbing modes for XC? Which would you buy?

I know the CCDB is the dogs, but my budget doesnt stretch that far – what are my other options?

Thanks

Ed

mjsmke

I’m really happy with my Rockhox Monarch Debonair RT3 that came with my bike. Has Open, Pedal, and Lock modes. Feels really smooth with excellent small bump compliance.

scruff
    Free Member

There was a CCDB air on the classifides the other day.

Northwind

Do you want it for a full on dh bike? If it’s for a regular bike that does dh, then really any decent shock is fine- RP23 has been doing that job for years frinstance.

scruff
    Free Member
    munrobiker
    Free Member
    poah
    Free Member

you need to buy the hardware as well ontop of that price. £370 from TF with hardware and set up with the shock checked

andylc
    Free Member

I don’t think the CCDB Inline is comparable in performance to the CCDBA. Also still seems to be dogged with questions about reliability.

poah
    Free Member

seems to be a real issue with the spesh bikes and the stupid yolk putting too much stress on the shaft. this happens to other shocks too. mine has been nothing short of perfect

leftyboy
    Free Member

I like my RockShox Monarch Debonair, RT3 and in a shameless plug kind of way I have one for sale:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/nearly-new-rockshox-monarch-debonair-rt3-reverb-125-stealth-and-more

mikeep
    Free Member

Swapped my CCDB inline that came with my enduro 29 for a monarch rc3 debonair. Really suits the bike and just works with minimal faffing. Mega plush 🙂

mafiafish
    Free Member

If you’re not on a budget then the fancy new float is supposedly a good deal better than the older rp23/ DHX shocks.

Shirebikes
    Free Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies – this is my situation – I have just bought an intense 6.6 second hand prior to emigrating to Canada, and moving back to whistler. I’m primarily going to be doing XC rides, though the XC trails are pretty full on. I will also be going into the park from time to time.

I have a DHX 5 on there a the minute, but i dont really want to have a coil, and would ideally like to use an air shock to save weight.

Budget is probably about the 150 mark max as thats what i think i could get for the dhx…

thanks

ed

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pushed CTD on my 6.6 and it does work really well. The climb function works well and makes the bike really good with minimal bob. Tend to use the Traction setting for general stuff and Descent for, well, going down.
    Offset bushes also help with slackening the front a bit. My HA is about 65.5 – 66° now, running a 170mm Lyrik.
    If you decide to sell the DHX I may be interested as I’m on the lookout for a coil for DH days.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The DHX5 will struggle to get £150 to be honest! I sold one a while back for 70. They’re old heavy shocks, granted they work great, but just not fashionable. So you’ll probably have to add some cash to get a good air shock.

The Monarch Debonair rct3 would be my choice, new or used.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If you are in North America and have DHX 5 Air then get it Avalanched. EDIT sorry now realise it is coil….

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you’re in Whistler or surrounding area, i’d keep the coil, send it to Vorsprung or SuspensionWerx and get them to rip the guts out and put something better inside, then put one of the new super light steel springs on it.

It’s only going to save you a pound or so of weight.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What Air Shock’ is closed to new replies.