Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • What air rifle?
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’ll say it, cos no one ever dares.

Its also enjoyable.

I await the flames.

ninfan
    Free Member

And then there is the issue of efficiency. A couple of guns can clear a good amount of land over a weekend, whereas to get the same results would require an awful lot of traps.

True dat, especially with a couple of shotguns and some drey poles, great sport 8)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

cdoc thanks for the response, you make some valid points. If live trapping isn’t suitable then spring traps could be considered.

A lot of it depends on the local population of squirrels one is attempting to control (just a garden or woodland?) and the location, ie not using spring traps within 10km of red squirrel populations. There is comprehensive guide to squirrel control here: http://www.europeansquirrelinitiative.org/ESI_Trapping_Document_11_July_2011_Ver_1_3.pdf

ninfan
    Free Member

Some amazing work going on in Northumberland with knocking back the greys to protect the Reds.

Ps, squirrel does make good eating, very nice.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Its also enjoyable.

How can shooting animals be enjoyable?? 😉

I remember coming in from school & going up to the disused quarry near where we lived with my BSA Airsporter (still got it within reach, 44 years later) & shooting rats that were feeding on rotting grain & spuds the farmers used to dump there, IIRC my record was 22 rats in one sitting.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

I had the Original 35 rebuilt

Good choice. Spent my life savings on a HW35 at 10yrs old, had it now for 32 years. Did a self fitted rebuild once…. seemed to have a lot more punch after that 😉 Always used the open sight but fitted a 4 x 40 scope a couple of years back which makes it a completely different tool.

Also picked up a mint second hand Airarms S410 recently for £300 so a bit of a bargain. Fast & quiet with a 10 shot mag and super accurate. Not saying you can’t get the accuracy with a springer but much easier to do so with a pcp. Also you could never get 10 shots in as many seconds with a springer which you can with a pcp.

natrix
    Free Member

Tbh, I rather like the little sods

So do I actually, they’re more suited to living in the UK than the little red ones (who haven’t always been here).

dorsetknob
    Free Member

Good luck with the squirrel shoot, nothing but a menace. Try eating them bit fiddly to skin but taste like chicken/rabbit. AA 200 is my choice 10 years trouble free shooting.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Stick um in the microwave for a few secs. Loosens the skin apparently.

tinybits
    Free Member

Its also enjoyable.

I’d agree with that!

Air Arms TX200 is still quite an expensive rifle. Go for a BSA Lightning. very accurate, cheap, simple, bang on the legal limit and you can get fancy plastic stocks (not used one) and gas ram instead of sing (very good) if you want to go a bit more upmarket. Pre charged is great, but you’ve got t know you’re going to do it properly before taking the plunge in my opinion.

nparker

Bought an air rifle earlier in the year for shooting crows and magpies. Looked around online and, as always, lots of different opinions on which is best. I ended up going down to the local gun shop and spent a good 2 hours in there talking to the staff and got to try out practically all the ones on offer. Eventually settled on the Weihrauch HW80 based on simplicity, robustness and because it simply felt the most comfortable to use.

Not much help if you want it to be a surprise on Christmas morning though…

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Alternative to shooting them?

[video]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r90/dezb99/Junk/Squirrel_zps397622ed.gif[/video]

VID LINK

v666ern
    Free Member

Thread resurrection,

After my ageing feinwerbau went off and shot my bedroom window 😳 its about time i changed and got a safe springer. any other suggestions or does anyone have an under lever for sale in the gloucestershire area.

lazybike
    Free Member

Here..

stevied
    Free Member

@vern you could try allsports in Gloucester. they used to sell 2nd hand, good quality guns. http://www.allsportsguns.co.uk/index.html
    Normally lots in stock

felixdamouse
    Free Member

as long as he’s shooting grey squirrels only then its all good. grey squirrels are not indigenous to our country and are far more vicious towards the lovely wee red fellaes. as for rifle recommendation my vote goes for a .177 Air Arms s200. had one myself until recently and I couldn’t fault it, superb gun and super accurate once dialled in with the right pellets.

tomkerton
    Free Member

V666ern give rob a call at http://www.rbsporting.co.uk in Ross. Loads of second hand air rifles, I got a good deal on an excellent W77k there recently.

v666ern
    Free Member

well that didnt take long, thanks for all of the recomendations but i’ve just been into my LGS(?) wilsthire road and gun and am now the owner of a stoeger atac…my god how tech has moved on – but pellets £13 quid a tin!?

Had to keep reminding myself its for vermin and in the back garden otherwise those PCC’s were NICE

mt
    Free Member

anyone interested in a BSA R10, have nice one going. email in profile.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You don’t have to spend £13, there are lots and lots of cheaper options out there (Bisley practice for £4.50 for example)

griffiths1000
    Free Member

You don’t have to spend £13, there are lots and lots of cheaper options out there

500 tin Eley Wasp also £4.50 all i ever use in my springer.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Air arms pellets for me in the worlds fussiest rifle

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My HW100 will shoot anything and is spot on every time but I also have a Hatsan AT44 that can’t even manage two inch groups on anything other than H&N Field Target Trophy (which are around £12 a tin!!).

lazybike
    Free Member

Is it me or is there something..nice, about a newly opened tin of pellets.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘What air rifle?’ is closed to new replies.