Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • What "Agressive" Hard Tail Frame?
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

Going to be letting my XL Aeris (Mk1.5) go soon to make way for a new hard tail.

I’m going to get a slightly smaller one this time to make it a bit more “playful”.

It needs a 31.6mm seat tube and to be able to run a 150mm fork (not a deal breaker as I can get it lowered).

Narrowed it down to either a Bird Zero AM (L), or a Cotic Bfe (L). Are there any others I should consider? My max budget is around £550 (inc. headset).

I’ve eliminated a few due to my dropper not fitting (Orange Crush/P7, Stanton Slackline).

wl
    Free Member

Shame about the dropper issue, the current P7 is absolutely mint. I use mine for everything (messing on cheeky, techy, steep stuff in Calderdale to 35-milers over the Pennines).

johnw1984
    Free Member

Well, I suppose it could sell it (Magura Vyron) and get a cable operated one.

It’s just more hassle and expense, could possibly go over budget.

And it’s great to take off and put a regular seat post in with a rear mudguard for the 1.5 miles to work during the week.

wl
    Free Member

Well whatever you go for, enjoy it. You would ideally have a dropper on a P7 to make the most of it – it’s that kind of bike. Crush is good too, but I like the comfort of steel for longer rides. Geometry on the P7 is spot on for fast and playful.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I was quite keen on a P7 to be honest and it’s not helping 🙂

ljs1977
    Free Member

Again no help and recommend what you have!

this review is spot on, I love my Crush

Posted by The Riders' Guild on Wednesday, March 1, 2017

pickle
    Free Member

You’ve eliminated the wrong Stanton, you want the Switchback…..job done 🙂

johnw1984
    Free Member

You lot are not helping! 🙂

bone_idle
    Free Member

The NS eccentric is a great slack little hardtail with that comfy steel feel. Its made from a Tange tube set and has super short 420 chain stays and rails corners like nothing I have ridden, you can get a shim for the seatpost or make one from a coke can. I am super pleased with mine.

prawny

I’ve just bought a new bike with a 31.6 seat tube a 30.9 dropper and a USE shin for exactly this reason.

I’d get the p7 like I should have done last week.

5lab

you’d get a 2017 dartmoor hornet, a headset and a dropper for that money. runs 180mm triple clamps if you want to 😀

bone_idle
    Free Member

Doh…

Got the seat tube thing the wrong way round speak first think later habit of a lifetime.

jonnym92

Recommend what you own. Pace RC127

Really love mine. I give it some hammer. I think it can run 150mm, I run 140, but has a 31.6 post.

simonside
    Free Member

One of these, underated, more giggles than a bus stop full of teenagers on Lambrini on a Friday night

31.6 Yes, 150 mine is…..

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Pp Shan but again you need a 30.6 dropper. Love mine!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Pace and Mondraker hadn’t been considered to be honest, good shouts though.

With the events that have happened today, the budget got a bit of a cut, so I’ve had to adjust my thinking.

I already have a Commencal Meta AM HT (2016) frame that I can build up. I might as well make use of that.

I can fit my current 150mm fork to it, but the frame is designed for a 160mm fork. That got me thinking about angle sets.

I know a few people on here have used them with good results. Thinking bit shorter on travel and a bit slacker might make it a better descender and keep the BB low for cornering.

If I use that for a bit, I can actually save for something special. End goal would be a BTR Ranger, don’t see many about though.

beagle
    Free Member

Stif Morf?

Chromag wide angle (new geo model)? Shame no uk dealer now for frames. Probably out of budget because of this.

I’m looking for similar and the Morf and the P7 are on the top of my list at the moment if going 650b……

Not keen on the standard paint colours for frame only in the P7. £100 upcharge otherwise.

Like the pace too.

PP OKA and Shan written off for pushfit BB and lack of stealth dropper routing. More the stealth dropper really.

I’d probably look at a 29er but have 650b bits sat around.

eulach

What happened to Dialled Bikes?
    Moved to ‘murica and haven’t been heard of since.

breninbeener

PP Shan

duir
    Free Member

The P7 is a truly superb hardtail and the most underrated thing Orange have made in a long time. That would be my choice in your shoes and I would push to a new stealth dropper to go with it that will work with your mudguard.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Stif Morf was another I’ve considered. Only back in stock early/mid April and the price is going up due to the dollar/pound.

I was really keen on one of those too. I’ll run the Commencal for a while and I think the P7 is crept to the top of the list. Just need to wait till I can afford a dropper to go with it.

I love the look of the Shan, but as people have said, no stealth dropper routing. Press fit BB wouldn’t bother me as I’d just get a Hope.

wl
    Free Member

Should be easy enough to demo a P7. Can’t fault mine, to be honest. 140mm Pikes, Stealth, proper tyres.

aldo56
    Free Member

I just finished off my new Chromag Wide Angle. Highly recomended and cheaper than I thought it was would be:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14477497/

Bought my Shan frame off PB for £250 delivered – I’m running it with 170’s and it’s fine

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Sa9bdf]2017-03-07_01-14-46[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve eliminated a few due to my dropper not fitting (Orange Crush/P7, Stanton Slackline).

Honestly? You can pick up a second hand dropper from the classifieds, PB or ebay and sell yours to make up some of the difference. You can also then go stealth / non-stealth as necessary.

It really shouldn’t be a deal breaker.

I should add, I prefer a slimmer ST on a HT anyway, especially steel or ti. The 31.6 I had on my Holeshot beat my backside black a blue – a slight marr on an otherwise fantastic frame.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Lovelo Cycleworks in Berkhamstead have been helping design the next generation of Alpine.

deviant
    Free Member

Another Dartmoor Hornet here….was sensibly running it with 140mm Revs and was suitably impressed by its ability to match any HT I’ve had before (including more expensive stuff like a Dialled Alpine etc)…..

….now have a 170mm long, 36mm stanchioned coil sprung beast of a fork on it and it just takes the mickey with what it can do downhill, as a ‘play’ bike it’s my weapon of choice even though in all honesty the Trance and the Tues are both quicker in objective terms.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I really really miss my old Santa Cruz Chameleon… 2002 I think. Those were the days… 🙄

Marin
    Free Member

My P7 being delivered Monday yeeha!

ledude
    Free Member

@johnw1984

I’ve got a mint Shan 27.5 Classic that I’m trying to unload, can include an external dropper if youre interested…

Shoot me a PM if so.

poah
    Free Member

Dartmoor hornet 2017

beagle
    Free Member

OP – any idea how much the Morf is going up by?

Aldo – tell me more about the Chromag if you have a moment? Did you go direct? What was cost/duty etc? Cheers.

P7 probably gone top of my list too – especially if the Morf has gone up more than something negligible! Shame about stock colours though…

wl
    Free Member

Marin – wise choice. Enjoy it.
    Beagle – cyan blue with black decals looks great in the flesh.

beagle
    Free Member

Is Cyan blue a stock colour!!???

Thought it was just black and orange?

aldo56
    Free Member

beagle – I got it direct from Chromag. Great company to deal with and they answers all my questions. Cost me just under £600 for the frame, rear axle and postage via FedEx within 4 days. I expected to get hit with an import tax bill but it never arrived…

Apparently FedEx have reduced their rates recently which helped.

ratherbeintobago

I really really miss my old Santa Cruz Chameleon… 2002 I think.

There’s a new one that might suit?

beagle
    Free Member

Ta Aldo. Ignore my Pinkbike post! Except the compliments! Lush!

P7 looking tops really. My luck would mean I’d get stung with loads of charges.

wl
    Free Member

beagle – soz, you might be right, stock last year I think. Mine is Cyan but it’s not the very latest one.

johnw1984
    Free Member

@ledude – Thanks for the offer, but I’ve decided to stick with the Meta and thrown a few new bits on it. I’ll post some pics when it’s ready.

The Dartmoor Hornet had totally slipped off the radar until now. I’ll end up looking for another frame to try eventually.

@Aldo56 – Liking the Chromag, looks good!

@beagle – They didn’t give any specifics on price. I’ve copied the email below.

Morning John,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Morf.
    We are hoping for a delivery Early/Mid April. This is dependant on Shipping and customs.

We are also expecting a price rise due to the industry trading in US $ and the current state of the $.
    Shimano have increased there prices across the whole range as have Santa Cruz and Niner.

eulach

Lovelo Cycleworks in Berkhamstead have been helping design the next generation of Alpine.

Any more detail than this?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘What "Agressive" Hard Tail Frame?’ is closed to new replies.