Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What age did you stop sending presents to your godchildren?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

My eldest godson turned 18 in the summer, and I got him a very fine 18yr old single malt for the occasion. I’ve sent him birthday and Christmas presents every year up until then, but thought that now he’s 18 that’s an appropriate time to stop. Is that the done thing? I know some people continue it into adulthood, but my godparents called it a day with pressies when I reached 18, which was fine by me. With it having just got to Christmas Eve I’ve got a slight feeling of meanness about it 😕

binners

I stopped when the ungrateful little bastard was less than enthusiastic about the power kite and the poppy I got him

whitestone
    Free Member

About three.

I think

Might have been two.

leffeboy

18 seems fine to me too. If they were round at my house on Christmas or just before I would get something but just to mail something out – not really

thegreatape
    Free Member

I figure now he’s 18 well go out for a beer when I see him.

slackalice
    Free Member

Bookmarked.

*runs off to get pen and paper to note down those self-confessed STW atheists who admit to having godchildren and responsible for their spiritual guidance*

😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I fail to make your list 8)

Drac

I never have.

slowoldman

I was probably about 32.

edhornby

I have never been asked 🙂 it’s either my atheism or my repellent personality

OP well done for keeping going for the full 18yrs

Cougar

*runs off to get pen and paper to note down those self-confessed STW atheists who admit to having godchildren and responsible for their spiritual guidance*

You can add me to the list. I was put into a position where I couldn’t really refuse, despite me asking if he was sure given that I don’t believe in god and don’t much like kids. Oh, and the choice of godmother was my ex.

I stopped giving gifts when she was pretty young, when I realised that the only time they ever contacted me was when they wanted something, and when I did see them they spent half the time berating me for how I’d somehow let them down the last time they wanted something.

The last conversation I ever had with them started with a text message, “your presence is required.” I was on holiday at the time and had just started to relax and unwind. After the incandescent rage had subsided I figured “life’s too short for this,” gave him a piece of my mind and downed communications.

So yeah, I’m probably going to hell or something.

Drac

Not the athiest part as I’m a Godfather to 7 kids and all ceramonies were none religious, they were done in church but not no promisies to god just about helping with a moral, fair, impartial and responsible guidance.

kayak23

My godfather still sends me birthday cards. I’m 44 now.
    Can’t remember when they stopped containing tenners…

crankboy
    Free Member

Self-confessed atheist here i have always turned down requests to be god father because despite the parents assertions that it doesn’t matter I felt it would be hypocritical. It’s amazing how many self professed Christians are really just going through the motions.
    On the original point my god fathers stopped buying for me at 18.
    I’m not calling you a hypocrite Drac, I just understood the job had an oath and commitment to guide encourage the kid in the ways of the church.

wiggles
    Free Member

I find the key to all this is just be a bad role model with a very chaotic life then you never get chosen to be a godparent, easy.

simondbarnes

I had to look up godparent on wikipedia. **** that shit.

shifter
    Free Member

What he said. Just say no.

Dickyboy

Have you lot never heard of fairy parents?

shifter
    Free Member

I don’t think that kind of talk’s allowed any more “Dicky”. 🙂

Dickyboy

Sorry got invited to a non religious naming ceremony a fair few years back, was asked to dress our kids up as elves, goblins etc and a pied Piperesq group lead us through an orchard before burning Chinese hell money on a bonfire – quite a sight for the people who had turned up for some pick your own at the orchard

trusty

I’m 45 and still send a present to my godson. He’s also my nephew so I don’t have much choice 😉

fossy

We are still giving presents to nieces and nephews who have their own homes and are late 20’s – getting a bit much, but we do it as out kids are much younger.

jag61

hang on…presents? no one told me that! i was only about 12 at the time tho

lucky7500

I have a longstanding joke with my godmother, who is also my aunt, that at 18 the deal switches around and now I’m responsible for her being ok!! I’m 39 now and do intend to keep up my side. 🙂
    I still get birthday cards from all my mums sisters.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Depends if you like him as a person or just see him as a duty finished with.

I would have a word with him

– he could be very hurt at being abruptly cut off if he thinks you gave him gifts out of friendship or love for him as an individual.

– if he long ago realised you just did it out of obligation, he might be expecting to be dropped like a stone at the first opportunity and have no concerns at all.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What age did you stop sending presents to your godchildren?’ is closed to new replies.