Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • What a Specialized like with warranties?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

So I called them this morning and was totally honest about the history given PeterPoddy might have actually done as he said he would (thanks for that).

Anyway, as expected, no joy and I now need to find £££££s for a new bike. Great. 🙁

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You probably can have it welded, but unless you budget for a refinish it’ll look a bit “Frankenstein’s Monster” (I’m assuming the best way woild be to slice a massive gash out, wider than and along the crack, with a grinding disc, then fill it all in with new metal)

wwaswas

So I called them this morning and was totally honest about the history given PeterPoddy might have actually done as he said he would (thanks for that).

If it stopped you lying (which you imply it did) then regardless of whether he was joking or not he’s made you do the decent thing.

10 years is a fair life for an alloy frame.

You can probably get a similar frame from P-x for £80 in one of their clearouts.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If you’ve had ten years of use out of it you’ve not done bad really, have you? Plus: new shiny shiny – always good

johndoh
    Free Member

If it stopped you lying (which you imply it did) then regardless of whether he was joking or not he’s made you do the decent thing.

Perhaps, but as I mentioned several times it was a new bike when I bought it, but just not through official channels as it had been built up using spares by the shop mechanic and sold privately.

wwaswas

It was secondhand. I guess you got it for a good price but you knew it wasn’t ‘new from a shop’ when you bought it?

I rarely buy new frames from a shop (one I have now was a warranty replacement, BNIB, but I don’t expect a warranty on it) but I accept the risk I’m taking and make sure the price reflects it.

scotroutes

So, you also paid full RRP for it?

13thfloormonk

I think that’s why Specialized (or anyone) offer a warranty, as an incentive to actually buy new, from a shop.

Likely as not your mechanic friend will have bought it trade price then sold to you. No harm in that but it doesn’t do Specialized any favours (especially as they would want to discourage exactly that sort of behaviour!) so why would they offer any sort of warranty?

Bad luck though, just try and focus on the shiny new bike you’ll end up with in the long run! 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

That’s a shame. Ribble do pretty cheap frames that most of your kit will swap over onto.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-winter-audax-7005-frameset/#pid=30400

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-7005-sportive-frameset/#pid=30299

Alternatively, a jubilee clip will sort it 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Alternatively, a jubilee clip will sort it

I did wonder about that to see me through until I have the required £££s.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’re even more of a **** that you first appear aren’t you.

Well yes. I very well may be.
    But I’m nowhere near as insulting or gullible as you are.
    Of course I wouldn’t you meat head!!! 🙂
    But seriously, asking questions like that on here is plain stupid. There’s lots of LBS staff on here and I know one occasional STW user that works at Specialized HQ.
    If you’re gonna do something shady, don’t shout about it!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

“jubilee clip”

Hell no. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stress on that area. It’ll still snap and as well as running your own face over you’ll have a broken jubilee clip embedded in your jaw.

wwaswas

I did wonder about that to see me through until I have the required £££s.

you need to look at the winky emoticon very carefully.

Like PP’s dobbing you in – it may not have been a serious suggestion…

joefm

I’m not sure how anyone thought that was serious…

Back to OP. I think you’ve had your moneys worth.

singlespeedstu

ah the Edinburgh defense.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohhh dear. I’m still giggling. I’m so glad I revisited this thread.
    Stu, lighten up. You should hear yourself. 🙂

legend
    Free Member

tbh I’m amazed that he (and the others) bit so hard – even for STW!

taxi25
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if most manufacturer’s or distributors warranty departments googled themselves. Not to catch people out as such, but looking for problems and any general feedback out there.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can’t really grumble about not having warranty on a bike you (presumably) bought at a price reflecting the lack of warranty.

And 10 years is a decent innings. Get a new frame/bike and move on with your life.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you find the original docs with the warranty terms in it? Was it ever covered? 2004 was explicitly 5 years (I snapped a spec at 5 1/2 and got nothing)

wiggles
    Free Member

Chances are if it was sold “off the books” specialized probably replaced the frame with a new one for the blemishes and told the shop to destroy the frame and they flogged it to you…

akira

Usually companies ask for pic of sawed up frame or bb section sent back to prove ots been destroyed.

njee20
    Free Member

I think that’s why Specialized (or anyone) offer a warranty, as an incentive to actually buy new, from a shop

Of course they do, particularly ‘lifetime’ warranties, no one expects their product to last forever, it’s purely a marketing tool.

johndoh
    Free Member

Chances are if it was sold “off the books” specialized probably replaced the frame with a new one for the blemishes and told the shop to destroy the frame and they flogged it to you…

Probably true – the top tube was dinged when I got it which was why I got it in the way I did.

Sundayjumper

Under the old regime, Spesh would have sent the shop a new bike FOC and told them to bin the damaged one. Your mech probably got the frame for free.

Nowadays they get sent back to Spesh, and sold off to the employees.

johndoh
    Free Member

Your mech probably got the frame for free.

Yeah that is kinda what I assumed at the time.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well now…

wwaswas

just come back to this…

So you’re disappointed that Specialized won’t give warranty on a 10 year old frame that you knew they gave to someone as a gesture of goodwill (or asked to be scrapped) and who subsequently sold it on to you for a profit? Gosh.

johndoh
    Free Member

So you’re disappointed that Specialized won’t give warranty on a 10 year old frame

No, I was simply asking the question regarding what their policy is. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp is it? Gosh.

Anyway, here’s a picture of the offending damage….

[quote]

njee20
    Free Member

Sure it’s not a sticker?

taxi25
    Free Member

Joking aside, if it was for one event I’d ride it with a couple of heavy duty jubilee clips holding it together.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

😯

I wouldn’t ride that to the skip.

cyclistm
    Free Member

What size is it? I have a similar vintage a works frame you could have cheap.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I just bought one of these.
    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/road-c37/marin-argenta-elite-road-bike-2015-p13748
    Could strip and sell the bits you don’t want. Would work out even more of a bargain

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s a 52cm I need…

cyclistm
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

johndoh » It’s a 52cm I need…

https://totalfitnessbath.co.uk/specialized-allez-comp-smartweld-2016-52cm-ex-demo/

may want to check the warranty position 🙂

Mine is a 54cm, apologies

johndoh
    Free Member
    sideshow
    Free Member

Specialized refused warranty on my waterproof when zip failed in under a year. And that was *after* they made me pay to retrieve previous bank statements as proof of purchase. Big sarcastic thanks guys.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Interesting to read about the “lifetime” warranty. Must admit I did think it was lifetime. In fairness though, I have a 2007 stumpy, that on average has been ridden about 15-20 times a year. I would still expect the alu frame to last that long – in fact mine is still fine. However if you think that that is around 180 rides, it does sound like a lot. Still, they should be made to take some abuse….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘What a Specialized like with warranties?’ is closed to new replies.