Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What a ride !!!!!!!!! arrrrggghhh !!!! HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU IF SO HELP
  • bollard
    Free Member

Just being out this afternoon
    Wondered if this had happened to anyone else?
    The bolt on my easton ea50 snapped and had to ride the rest of the ride on the stump any ideas where i can get a replacement bolt ?
    Or shall i bin the lot ???
    or has anyone got one for sale nice and cheap ….

lowey

Ha.. yes exactly the same thing happened to me half way round the Marin. PING and the saddle fell off. I remember posting about it here and it had happened to a few people. I checked it on the commuter and bought a Tompson.

MartynS

bought a Tompson.

thats what I did to..!

go down the hardware shop and see if they have something to fit.. its an M something, really can't remember!

scaredypants

I snapped one once on an old post -replaced with a bolt from a hardware shop & snapped that pretty soon; did same again & snapped that – I think the original bolts are pretty tough comapred to "standard"

Pieface

The bolts in my Thomson have threaded.

Great seatpost but the bolts aren't necessarily great

stucol
    Free Member

Try an iso 12-9 allen cap screw (of whatever size you need)if it will fit. They are a good deal tougher than iso 8-8 bolts you usually get at ironmongers.

Of course, you may already have specced Titanium !

bollard
    Free Member

Well the other problem is the black nut side shot off like a gun and couldn't be found 🙁
    so a new post is on order
    thanks for your help lads

theotherjonv

Yep. I reckon the design of post is flawed, any forces to the front or rear of the saddle are trying to open the bolt up. On a Thompson type one bolt is in compression and the other extension to share loads.

That said, plenty of seatpost manufacturers still use it. I have a little bolt shop near me that sells all sorts of sizes for pennies a time, and since having a ride ruined by this situation I bought a job lot and replace them every few months routinely.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

This happened to me last year. I put it down to my lardy ass.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What a ride !!!!!!!!! arrrrggghhh !!!! HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU IF SO HELP’ is closed to new replies.