Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What 700c road tyre?
  • djen83
    Free Member

For general riding in all weather. Thinking Continental Gatorskin from CRC for £19.

What would you recommend?

Cheers in advance.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Vote here for the Conti Gatorskins in 700×25. Solid tyres.

bigG
    Free Member

Michelin pro 4 endurance, best all round tyre IMHO. I used, and hated gatorskins. Just a shame you can’t get Michel Krylion Carbon anymore. They were the dugs bawz.

campkoala
    Free Member

First, General riding where? (surfaces?) what do you and the bike weigh? how much clearance does the bike have?
    Next, what are you after? comfort, low rolling resistance, all out grip or durability?
    Then, what’s your budget?

aP
    Free Member

Tried Gatorskins years ago and they were terrible in the wet, I just use GP4Season as my default workhorse road tire, and either Vredestein Fortezza TriComp Quattro for fast mixed condition riding.

campkoala
    Free Member

Agree 100% with aP above

BadlyWiredDog

Gatorskins, horrible. I’ve never worked out why roadies choose to fit less grippy tyres when the roads are wet. I’d recommend Conti’s Black Chilli compound road tyres simply because the level of grip is ace, wet and dry and the stuff lasts well too. I use GP4000S all year round, but where I am – Peak District – there tends not to be sharp flinty things on the road. If you live somewhere infested by thorns or sharp rocky shards then you may want something with some added protection in the carcass.

tonyd

I’ve been riding on Gatorskins for some time now and don’t understand the lack of grip comments. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I ride all weathers on 23mm Gators at about 100psi and have never had any grip issues other than the usual (wet manhole covers etc).

I might try GP4000S next just to see what the fuss is about.

_tom_
    Free Member

I use the GP4000S, tbh I couldn’t tell any difference between them and the Schwalbe Luganos they replaced!

johnners
    Free Member

Never had a problem with grip on Gatorskins either, but don’t find them any more puncture-resistant than anything else either. I use Conti Ultra Sports, bit heavy but cheap and work fine for me. You’ll find some pretty mixed reviews on them though.

If you want a grip-free tyre, try Michelin Speediums (if you can still get them. Terrifying. Mind you, I should have known there’d be a catch with a £7.99 folder.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Go for GP4Seasons over gatorskins. Much better tyre.

nano
    Free Member

+1 for Fortezza

Northwind

I really liked my Pro 3s, good grip in wet etc, but both tyres are now covered in tiny wee cranks after less than a year’s use- tons of life left otherwise. They still seem to work fine but it’s not too good.

birdage

Never had a problem with Duranos. Except the price

simondbarnes

Fortezza Quattro Tricomp

djen83
    Free Member

Glad I didn’t order the Gator skins now! GP4000 on the way.

Many thanks

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Gp4000s in 25mm for winter duties.

heavyman
    Free Member

I have Schwalbe Ultremo’s on my bike thought they were great until I was flying down a hill and hit a square-ish stone giving me snakebites on each wheel, so much for the extra protection they claim, one of the tyres had a hole and had to be replaced. Lbs replaced with Lugano and it seems ok for now.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

veloflex master, handmade in Italy, what’s not to like.

TheSanityAssassin

Lugano is the entry level, Ultremo is a race tyre. If you’re going Schwalbe then the Durano Plus is the way to go. They’re bullet proof.

heavyman
    Free Member

Lugano is the entry level, Ultremo is a race tyre. If you’re going Schwalbe then the Durano Plus is the way to go. They’re bullet proof.

It’s bad enough hitting rocks but I really hope nobody tried to shoot me when am riding ma wee bike!

unknown
    Free Member

Does anyone have any experience with Planet X’s tyres?

Rage

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What 700c road tyre?’ is closed to new replies.