Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What 700c commuter tyres?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Currently running Specialized Borogh tyres 32mm, converted to stans and running at 60 psi. Works a treat on my Tricross which normally carries one or two panniers.

I'm building up a new bike and will be running 29er Arch rims and disc brakes.

Option 1. Do the full tubeless thing and use Hutchinson Intensive 25mm tyres.

Option 2. Get somnething like the Borough at 32mm and convert it again?

timbur
    Free Member

Could you give me a quick run down on ghetto tubeless for 700c tyres please.

I've got a Tricross SS and it would make a lot of sense to try it.

Cheers

Tim

Onzadog
    Free Member

I didn't ghetto, I used a 26" stans rim strip stretched around. Worked a treat.

As I'm planning to use Stans Arch rims, I can tape it nd either use a proper tubeless tyre and go up to higher pressures or do the stans thing with a normal tyre and keep the pressures down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

You're asking about 2 different tyres but not saying why you are thinking of going narrower?

EDIT Not sure if those rims will take high pressures or narrow tyres. Whether 25mm will be OK will also depend on the road surfaces and how much you put in those panniers.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Al, if someone made a 700c x 32mm tubeless tyre I'd use it. The Intensive is the widest I've found without looking at 'cross type knobblies.

One of the things I'm wondering is whether I'll notice much difference in terms of comfort and control by dropping to 25mm. It would be the narrowest tyre I've ever ridden in my life.

rootes1

yep 25 sections tyres on those rims – no good it withblow off and/or the tyre will not have the correct profile

why not get some proper road rims? i.e. ones suited to narrow tyres

I use 622-28 on my commuter bike, with Halo Aerorage rims

Onzadog
    Free Member

The Arch is a 19mm inner width. Is that much wider than road specific rims? With it being a tubeless specific tyre (Hutchinson Intensive 25mm), I hope the bead would be strong enough to resist blow off.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run 25 or 28mm on the commuter. Wouldn't fancy anything wider personally. 25mm is generally tough enough for the roads I commute on. 28mm in winter.

If you drop down to 25mm you'll definitely notice the difference, in speed.

Intensives aren't cheap though. That could be a factor. I'm a big fan of tubeless, and run it on my roadie but I keep my commuter on tubes, for cost reasons.

Onzadog
    Free Member

reggie, what's the widest tubeless commuter tyre you know of? Is it the Intensive at 25mm?

rootes1

The Arch is a 19mm inner width. Is that much wider than road specific rims?

mavic open pro is 15mm.

do Stans list min compatible tyre section for their rims? should be ok for a 32, more an issue of putting over fat tyres in too narrow a rim.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've been looking but the best I can find is a chart on the Schwable (sp) site whivch suggests a 17mm rim could take 25mm tyre but the 19mm rims shouldn't take less than a 28mm.

Can't find anything specific to Stans or Hutchinson.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Intensives are the widest proper tubeless road tyres I know of. There are tubeless CX tyres about but they're knobbly, obviously.

I've done ghetto conversions with standard CX tyres (32mm) and even played around with some 28mm GP4Seasons, with some success, but the sidewalls on standard tyres are quite porous so it takes some time for the Stans to seal them up properly.

Like I said, nowadays, I just run cheapish standard tyres (Krylions or GP4Seasons) and thickish tubes. No faff and pretty tough.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Stans do a road-specific tubeless rim now – the Alpha

see http://www.justridingalong.com/?product=6370

but it's not cheap, especially for a commuter, and you can tape up Open Pros to do the same job (albeit a heavier rim).

Onzadog
    Free Member

So might be worth trying some GP4seasons then. Shame, proper tubeless tyres do appeal.

Had my eye on the Alpha for a while but it was a long time coming and I got bored of waiting. Also, I don't want a braking surface as I'm running discs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I use 28s but occaisionally put a lot of weight in panniers, and the roads roudn here are ****.

I don't think 25s are significantly faster than anything bigger (all other things being equal) but they will feel a little faster given the lower weight (rolling resistance is in fact slightly higher!).

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Had my eye on the Alpha for a while but it was a long time coming and I got bored of waiting. Also, I don't want a braking surface as I'm running discs

Same here, oh, and….. £85 a go!!! 😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

True, not cheap. I did manage to get the pair of Arch rims for £99.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I think I'm going to end up with some Halo Aero track rims, and 25mm Schwalbe Marathon+ tryes through the winter to achieve a puncture resistant (if a little dead) ride (for about the same price as just you Arch rims, including rim tape and tubes ;-), and swap to, say, GP4000s in the summer to make use of the light rims. Not ideal, but as you've found, nothing is…..

TooTall
    Free Member

I got some wheels made up on the Halo White Line rims – 24mm wide rims for £18 each – complete bargain and they are riding really well.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

White Line's look a steal and bombproof…. but are nudging 700g a rim……

ourmaninthenorth

Regular tubes with Vittoria Open Pavé.

The clinchers are 24c (tubs 27, but I wouldn't commute on tubs). Roll really well, comfortable at 100psi and grip like sh*t to a blanket year round.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What 700c commuter tyres?’ is closed to new replies.