Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • what 6"ish all mountain light enough to pedal?
  • mafiafish
    Free Member

Its hard enough to push an out and out xc bike to it's limits short of Fort Bill or Inners

I'm not saying it would be fun or as fast and obviously an 80mm hardtail is going to take a biker of bitchin' skill to ride it down there but the bike would be fine. I'm just confused as to why such extreme bikes are necessary and furthermore considered all mountain when they are really not an all rounder. In my humble opinion the orange 5 and its peers are all mountain as can be seen from their capabilities. There might be a dozen world cup DH courses where they wouldn't cope but for everything else they would be fine.

Dude you must have been battered to shit. And big bikes are only tank like when they're going slowly!

It was fine apart from the super thin grips and only thing it couldn't handle was the big drops(as far as my skills go) on the Champerey DH.
    It was nice to have a lighter, balanced bike for the jumps but I'll definately be taking something burlier this Summer… so excited already!

Yetiman
    Free Member

I like the look of this Helius AC. Personally I'd change the Pikes for a 150mm alternative but otherwise it's pretty sweet.

mafiafish
    Free Member

It was fine apart from the super thin grips and only thing it couldn't handle was the big drops(as far as my skills go) on the Champerey DH

Sorry meant Mont cherry not Champery

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Selling a Spicy 216 and 316 2010 off at http://www.flyingfoxbikes.com. I think they're on ebay now.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Cove Hustler with 140mm forks.

Cove G-Spot with 160mm forks.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

mafiafish – Member

Its hard enough to push an out and out xc bike to it's limits short of Fort Bill or Inners

I'm not saying it would be fun or as fast and obviously an 80mm hardtail is going to take a biker of bitchin' skill to ride it down there but the bike would be fine. I'm just confused as to why such extreme bikes are necessary and furthermore considered all mountain when they are really not an all rounder[/i]. In my humble opinion the orange 5 and its peers are all mountain as can be seen from their capabilities. There might be a dozen world cup DH courses where they wouldn't cope but for everything else they would be fine.

Taking rider skill out of the equation, and assuming by "extreme" you mean 160mm travel bikes I'll tell you why they are considered all mountain or all rounders – compromise. They will climb a hill as well as can be expected and then get down the fun stuff as fast as you can short of a DH bike. You might not be willing compromise climbing ability for descending ability or durability but others happily will.

And whilst an 80mm travel bike can be rattled down most things you absolutely will not be faster than someone on a Reign X or similar nor will an 80mm travel bike with xc components last very long if used on Fort Bill for example, day in day out. You might feel faster but I promise you you aint. You'll be quicker up, sure, but some people want to push the limits of their own skills and bravery on the any terrain they come across, not just the limits of their xc bikes build quality and they are willing to lug around some extra heft to do so.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

There might be a dozen world cup DH courses where they wouldn't cope but for everything else they would be fine.

I can see what your trying to say, but an example…now i used to race downhill at expert level (until it got too expensive). After i sold my dh bike i was left with an orange 5. Great bike, but even on my local inners dh trails was left wanting. You cant really attack fast or rough sections on a 5, just ride them. That may be fine for most, but not when your used to racing! So i sold up and got a spicy…the spicy only has a little extra travel but feels so much more like a dh bike than the 5. You can ride it more like a dh bike, yet it still climbs as good (if not better) than my old 5. Moral of the story…if i still had my dh bike i wouldnt need a spicy, but i dont so i do!

Konastoner
    Free Member

This should do the job nicely.

mafiafish
    Free Member

nor will an 80mm travel bike with xc components last very long if used on Fort Bill for example, day in day out. You might feel faster but I promise you you aint

I think you misunderstand (if that's the word) me, obviously I'm not saying that a 80mm bike would ever be quicker on a dh course I just meant that it could 'do it'and that a 140mm bike could do it well as well as other things well(all round, no real compromises). I'm more getting at the concept of I want to do this attitude that a bike is incapable of something because it's not got enough travel/the right geometry etc. I also fuly agree that an xc whippet bike would, most likely fall to bits as would your joints after a few runs!

Chase
    Free Member

Gonna add a Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘what 6"ish all mountain light enough to pedal?’ is closed to new replies.