Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • what 6"ish all mountain light enough to pedal?
  • br
    Free Member

456 Ti with Fox 36 talas's on big volume tyres – no one said it couldn't be a HT!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I'm looking at the new Corsair Marque. Low BB and slack head angle, it's 130mm rear travel (single pivot) and takes 130mm to 160mm forks. It builds to around 32lbs. MBR mags first impressions on a short test ride was all thumbs up, but I haven't seen any proper tests yet. A low BB makes the bike very stable and confidence inspiring especially on techy stuff. Pedal strikes are always an issue on low BB bikes, but the trade off out weighs IMO. I'm trying to find a demo bike at the moment.

twohats
    Free Member

Another vote for the Nomad here.

Bregante

been some issues with the corsair marques chain tunnel and the idler pulley system, reported by owners in the u.s. leading to a lot of owners getting rid of theirs at a huge loss

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=389800

nice looking bike though

felixthecat
    Free Member

Whats in an inch?
    I just took my 5 to innerleithen and all i was missing was my 36's
    5 AM gets my vote for UK trail riding.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Good point – but there's no bumps higher than 5" at Inners

felixthecat
    Free Member

Good point but i was thinking about the downhill course.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Its a no brainer !

Yeti 575 even with 160 mm forks climbs very well

benji_allen
    Free Member

I just got an Alpine with Talas's on it. I know it won't climb as fast as my old Stumpy FSR, but at least I can now hammer it back down and do some drops and jumps without it squirming everywhere, and it's a damn sight lighter than my old Patriot. I'll just have to get a bit fitter.

grantway
    Free Member

Backhander the 5 AM is a bloody good bike
    What do I say Buy a scooter 🙄

LOL try a Mondraker Dune

freeridenick
    Free Member

Marin Wolf ridge – last years models are an absolute bargain at the mo. alot of bike for the money…
    and very fun to ride.

grumm
    Free Member

Backhander the 5 AM is a bloody good bike

So good you were trying to sell yours a bit ago? 😉

I can recommend the Pitch/Enduro too – no problems getting up big hills in the Lakes on my Pitch.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

+1 Yeti 575

ronburgundy

Tracer VP – as said in earlier posts its a superb all round bike. Mine is built on the lighter side with Float 32 140, XT/XTR and Stans 355's. Comes in around 26.5lbs.
    Obviously will depend on budget though……..

cove123

i would like a Knolly, not ridden one or seen one other than mags/website but just fancy one!!

AgentOrange
    Free Member

Iron Horse – 6.6 or even a 6.4 with the DW link.

One of the bargains of the year at Evans – £999.00 – Change the wheelset though – must weigh 20lb by themselves, probably to accomodate the average American rider….

ahwiles
    Free Member

Hemlock?

(the pitch is an awesome bike, but built for tall people with short legs)

justablur
    Free Member

Titus El Guapo.

Better than the Intense 6.6 and the Nomad I had before. Also much better than the Spicy, Remedy and Orange's that I've test ridden.

grantway
    Free Member

LOL Grumm yer so good I decided to keep it
    and had it resprayed !
    So yep Orange 5 AM 😉

didmatt
    Free Member

I can pedal up most things on my SX trail, however its not fun! Had a demo on a Lapierre Spicy 916 and it was completely different.

Bikebreaker
    Free Member

Alpine 160 here. No problems pedaling but would happily go a bit heavier for the downhill buzz. I'm flat out with a double and bash and not at the bike's limit. If you want it for the downs more than the ups you won't be disappointed.

grumm
    Free Member

the pitch is an awesome bike, but built for tall people with short legs

I'm short with short legs and it fits me just fine. It is pretty long but I can't say it's ever been a problem.

nickegg
    Free Member

Whilst the 5 is great, the only thing "AM" about it is the bloody fork and a double and bash chainset! otherwise it's just a great trail bike.

I love mine but would happily swap for a Spicy or a Tracer both of which are better bike IMO.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I cant see the need for anything beyond a 5 or zesty for UK riding unless you're the ugly side of 14 stone. Its hard enough to push an out and out xc bike to it's limits short of Fort Bill or Inners. A fuel ex 7 served me fine in Morzine/Les Gets this Summer but then I don't like the tank-like point and go of a DH bike.

B@rney
    Free Member

+1 Intense Tracer – Best bike I've ever ridden uphill or down

coolhandluke
    Free Member

456 Ti with Fox 36 talas's on big volume tyres – no one said it couldn't be a HT!

+1

Just get the Spicy, you know you want one….

backhander
    Free Member

mafiafish, what if you were the wrong side of 14st?
    Ahem, out of curiosity you understand.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

A fuel ex 7 served me fine in Morzine/Les Gets this Summer but then I don't like the tank-like point and go of a DH bike.

Dude you must have been battered to shit. And big bikes are only tank like when they're going slowly!

twohats
    Free Member

Its hard enough to push an out and out xc bike to it's limits short of Fort Bill or Inners

Really! I think you're speaking for yourself there.

hitman
    Free Member

Nomad

vikingboy
    Free Member

im hankering after the spicy too…..just wish you could buy a frame only

simondbarnes

Remedy

dans160
    Free Member

One of these: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36888467@N08/4043654108/sizes/l/

About 32lbs and pedals very nicely indeed.

forge197
    Free Member

My Chumba XCL is a pretty handy 6" bike I can pedal it up hill and have a big grin on the way down, is nimble through the twisty bits and composed and confident on the rough ideal really.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I ride my Turner 6-Pack all day, up and down anything that's there. They don't do the Ht version anymore but I think the DW link one isn't too far away. Be interesting to see what people make of that.

langy
    Free Member

Ibis Mojo?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i've had a nomad for 2yrs and there's nothing around that I would change it for at the moment.

None of the bikes listed above are bad bikes. I think once we all get the 'new bike syndrome', especially with your own set up, that then automatically is the best bike ever. Until I buy something else that is….

chakaping
    Free Member

If money's an issue, a discounted Reign (and then maybe upgrade bits) could be a good option.

I've got one and it does just what you describe pretty well.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Blur LT2 – 5.5" travel – light and efficient enough for XC, but strong enough for doing 3 to 4 foot drops all day (not me I might add). Can't explain, but it just feels right. You can put 160 forks on it if you want more bounce for downhill stuff

gibby

Nomad with Fox 36 TALAS without a doubt. Still going strong after 2 years with no problems whatsoever.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘what 6"ish all mountain light enough to pedal?’ is closed to new replies.