Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What 5k car?
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Looking to spend around 5k on a car. Preferably reliable( last two cars were Citroens) and it’ll be a second car. Something fun to drive and with at least 4 doors. We have a bigger family car so it’s not needing to be too big a load lugger, I’m quite happy to carry a bike on a rack or boot. The fun to drive bit is probably a big factor, I’ve not really been interested too much in cars since I had a Capri which was a while ago.

chewkw
    Free Member

Toyota RAV4.

ajantom

Older petrol Audi A4 or similar?
    I bought a 52 plate a couple of years ago for £1800 – it’s a V6 Quattro, so plenty of welly, handles well, but is also very nice to pootle around in. The auto box is very good, but you can stick it in manual mode. Also sport mode for when you want to be a bit of a hooligan 😉
    I’m probably cursing it, but it’s been very reliable so far, and as it’s a bit older I just get it serviced cheaply by my mate at a local garage. As long as you’re not going through a VAG dealership parts are pretty cheap online.

loddrik
    Free Member

Mk5 Golf GTi

gobuchul
    Free Member

Not 4 doors but a Honda Civic Type R or Type S would tick the reliable and fun to drive boxes.

unovolo
    Free Member

Nissan Pao, it wont be fast but should be reliable(pretty much Micra mechanicals), split tailgate and a canvas roof so easy to get bikes in plus you will never lose it in a car park.

Kamakazie

Hot hatch from Honda, Toyota or Mazda would be my choice.

Corolla TSport / 1.8 are meant to be fun. Not 4 door though.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Ford Focus ST?

You might be able to get one for £5k

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Subaru Forester XT.

skids
    Free Member

4 doors maybe a nissan cube

bails

Focus STs and mk5 Golf GTis can be had for that much.

Left field choice, mk4 (2007>) Mondeo 2.5 turbo petrol. Reviews from the time say it? drives as well as anything else of the same size. Usually Titanium X so a decent spec. More power than a Golf GTi of the same age and the same engine as the Focus st.

For example

It might not fit the “fun to drive” criteria enough, depends how fun you want.

TheFlyingOx

4 doors, fun, and sub-£5k? RX8 all day long.

There’s plenty of internet folklore and urban legend about them, but 90% is regurgitated hearsay from folk who heard a guy down the pub who once read a Jeremy Clarkson hit piece on the Wankel engine and have no actual experience of them.

They use oil, yes, but it’s bog-standard mineral oil at ~£3/litre for every couple of thousand miles so I can’t see what the fuss is about.

They use petrol, yes, but if it’s a second car primarily for fun then shouldn’t be a major consideration. 25mpg is doable.

The 13B-MSP is a different beast when it comes to engines and accounts for pretty much all the horror stories you hear about the RX8. They’re nowhere near as bad as they’re made out to be though. They need a more involved maintenance/service regime, and there are various “upgrades” that come highly recommended (engine bay heat dissipation and changing plastic components in the cooling system for metal being the main ones) but for all but the most incompetent of mechanics it’s maybe half an hour every month at most.

If you’re concerned about engine life get a “broken” one for around £1k and spend £3-4k on an absolutely top-notch rebuild, and then have many years of worry-free warrantied driving enjoyment.

Or you could chicken out and get a Golf GTI.

Milkie
    Free Member

130i? Comes in 5 or 3 door, 3 Litre straight 6 engine, rear wheel drive. Engine loves to be revved, and did I mention rear wheel drive. You can get a bike in the back, with both wheels off, or stick it on the roof. Oh and you don’t need to use your indicators and can just drive like a cock all the time. 😆

I’ve seen some as low as 3.5k. I would also look at the RX-8, but you can’t get a bike inside and I’m not sure if they do a roof rack.

Sundayjumper

My Mum has one, and I heartily agree with the “not fast” appraisal 😀 It’s cute though, and for pottering about town it’s quite enjoyable.

I like Milkie’s 130i suggestion though. I quite fancy one myself but I think finding one in really good condition might be tricky.

Or be a bit more flexible on your criteria and get a Boxster.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Skoda Fabia vRS?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Completely rubbish suggestion given the OP but I’ll say it anyway:

derek_starship
    Free Member

Completely rubbish suggestion given the OP but I’ll say it anyway:

S A A B

DavidB
    Free Member

4 doors, fun, and sub-£5k? RX8 all day long.

I miss my Nemisis so bad. Wish I’d kept it.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Rx8 is an ok motor, I’ve had a 7 and an 8 over along period of time. I could sit and watch the 8 rust away in front of me.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers all, lots to mull over. Some I had considered and some have threw me a bit.

Not a Rav4 unfortunately and the Forester, Pao and Cube. A4 is possible but I wa\s erring towards a hot hatch type. Though I’ve always liked Fords so the Mondeo is definitely worth investigating as is the SAAB, again I’ve liked them for a long long time. Golf, Civic and Focus were probably on my own hit list, the Skoda, toyota and mazda options are going to be worth perusal. 130 is an on the fence car, some days I look at them and think what were they thinking and on others I really like the looks, coupled with the RWD it should be up there. RX8…..I’ve always liked them, RX7 even more so but I’m not sure, had a scan of a pistonheads thread and I don’t think reliable is adequatley covered, really interesting option mind you.

chewkw
    Free Member

If it is a hot hatch you want it will be Suzuki Swift …

vfrmark
    Free Member

You can get a roof rack for a RX8 its from
    http://www.rhinorack.co.uk/Vehicle_MAZDA_RX8_3943.aspx
    fits good and allows you to then fit pretty much any bike carrier you like. ~I found it after much seaching and since just bought a BMW135iM to replace the RX8 I have both a car and a roof rack for it for sell 🙂
    Great car but you must log into the RX8 owners club (GB one or USA one) and read the guild about buying one, lots of owners have had burnt fingers because they bought a RX8 and then decided to check the website of advice. As a toy its a fantastic car and my daughter and me use it for camping and mountain biking trips. only replaced it with the BMW135iM because my rex is 2004 model and getting old.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What 5k car?’ is closed to new replies.