Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What £3k Trail Bike?
  • snax

I’m looking for a new trail bike and I’ve narrowed it down to three bikes, so any real world experience on these three? I will most likely jump for the 2018 version:

Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Trek Remedy 9.7
    or the Whyte T130RS

I live and ride in the Highlands, so tackle everything from local trail centres to full days on the likes of the Torraden Loop or rides around the Cairngorms. The last few years I’ve been riding various hardtails, including an On-One 456, I’m a fairly aggressive rider, if not that skilled.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I’m going to say it first…..Thought about a YT JEFFSY 650b or 29 flavour you will have change too from 3k

rmacattack
    Free Member

yeah for vfm yt and canyon

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I was very tempted by the EX 9.8… but rode it back to back with the EX8 and couldn’t tell enough difference so decided to save a ton of cash 😉

Both very, very nice though.

julzm
    Free Member

Alpinebikes in Innerleithen have a Fuel EX 9.8 in a 18.5 for £2900, with an extra 5% off wit’h an OE Card. Stealth black with Fox 34s.

Someone please buy this, as I’m very sorely tempted having just sold a bike.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Unbelievable.

5 posts, and no mention of bird or airdrop.

Yer losing it, STW….

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Alpine Bikes have the T130 RS on sale right now. Get the Tiso card for £20 and get another 10% off.

DickBarton

Does it need to be 3k?

nickfrog
    Free Member

I would struggle to justify an off-the shelf bike for that money. Custom hand picked bike should get far better VFM.
    If not, YT indeed.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I know it’s been narrowed to three, but if talking VFM, a Bird would get you that off the shelf.

joebristol

Bit late on this one (sorry no beer) – Bird Aeris obviously.

snax

I’ve cash to spend at Alpine Bikes, which is partly why I narrowed it down to these three… WIll look at the 9.8 at Inners… I already have the OE card so get that saving anyway… 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

The Fuel EX would be a good option for your riding, it’d cover ground and climb really well – and probably be just as effective on the descents.

You might need to change the skimpy stock tyres and replace the unreliable Bontrager dropper though.

tish
    Free Member

Llandegla had a few brand new Mojo Hd3’s advertised on their Facebook page for £3000 if that floats your boat.

monkeyboyjc

Personally, id be very tempted by a intense from merlin cycles..

andyg1966

Going off at a tangent …

Trek Stache 29+ ? I’ve got one and its a proper missile.

My Orange Five barely gets a look in!

£3k gets you the carbon framed one with 1×12.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

In a classic piece of recommend what you got advice. I am very impressed with my cotic flare max. The recent stw reviewer was also impressed. So get one of those.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I’d get one of them actually.

Loved it on the demo and would have bought one if my legs weren’t too short for the large.

🙂

rockhopper70

My wish list of one is the soon to be launched Whyte s150s.
    I’ve seen that intense linked above in the flesh at Merlin and it is very nice indeed.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Merida 140 and 160. A lot of bike for 3K ish.

pnik

Whyte is excellent and is not a trek so win/win, but i bought a 29er orange so not really qualified to comment.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Canyon Spectral or a nice merida or cannondale or Specialized or build a really cool bike, like a grand on the frame, grand on the forks and a grand on the rest give and take

mark d
    Free Member

Oh go on then, Bird Aeris One20

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I’ve only ever seen one Bird bike in the wild (at Ard moors enduro) so it always amazes me when so many people recommend them. I’m not sure if it’s because the people who have them love then so much and are vocal about it, or whether most riders are from the south. I’m assuming it might be the latter due to where Bird are based.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What £3k Trail Bike?’ is closed to new replies.