Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What £300 camera for landscapes?
  • geoffj

Preferably smallish if possible.
    What you got?

CaptJon
    Free Member

What kind of pictures do you want to take?

geoffj

What kind of pictures do you want to take?

Err landscapes (and maybe a bit of natural light portraiture)

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Panasonic TZ80.

Cheers
    Paul

PS .and I am a Canon DSLR addict.

bishj
    Free Member

See if you can get a Ricoh GR V (5) anywhere. The new model (GR 5 II) has replaced the old one with only superficial changes and costs around £500, the older version should be available in some places for significantly less.

Incredibly sharp lens and nice simple camera with endless customisation if you want it. The camera has the same sized sensor as a crop factor DSLR (e.g. canon 600D etc) so is good in the dark too. The fixed 28mm lens is a good suit to landscape style shots.

CraigW
    Free Member

Pansonic Lumix GF7. About £250 with the kit lens. It is a biggish sensor, but still a very compact camera. And a fairly wide angle lens, would be good for landscapes.

Sony RX100 mk II for about that price

kiwijohn

Fuji XE2 with 18 mm f2

DrJ

Another vote for the excellent Sony RX100 – get the one to match your budget. I really do sometimes wonder why I lug my Nikon around the place.

Can’t agree about a fixed 28mm lens. I tend to shoot quite wide or else with a telephoto to isolate details.

flyingmonkeycorps

I use a Panasonic GX80 (though I’m not really a landscape photographer, and that’s not why I bought it).

I’d be looking for something with:

The ability to fit filters (a CPL and ND filters make a huge difference for landscape)
    A tripod (so you can use the ND filters)
    A decent zoom range (my Panasonic is 12-32mm on the kit lens, which is equivalent to about 24-64mm on full frame or 35mm and that’s about right)
    A tiltable screen AND at least an EVF, if not a tiltable one (I had no idea I needed a tiltable screen until I got one)
    A removable battery. I dunno if modern little cameras come with built in batteries like on phones, but you definitely don’t want that. Spare batteries FTW.

mikey74
    Free Member

I agree with DrJ about the lens: wide-angle is a good for landscapes IMO.

Unfortunately, you have to get the more expensive RX100s to get the wider lens. The Panasonic LX100 offers a wider lens, but that’s a bit over your budget as well.

martinhutch

Where can you get a Sony RX100 II for 300? Even the lesser version seems to come in at 350 at most reputable places.

Where can you get a Sony RX100 II for 300? Even the lesser version seems to come in at 350 at most reputable places.

The top 2 search results on Fleabay are both ‘buy it now’ for £319

*edit – although they don’t seem like grade A examples

martinhutch

They are both used with no warranty though.

Edit – just saw your edit! 🙂

DrJ

I just sold my mk1 for 120 quid on here 🙁 The e-bay sales I saw had gone for about 200.

The ability to fit filters (a CPL and ND filters make a huge difference for landscape)
    A tripod (so you can use the ND filters)
    A decent zoom range (my Panasonic is 12-32mm on the kit lens, which is equivalent to about 24-64mm on full frame or 35mm and that’s about right)
    A tiltable screen AND at least an EVF, if not a tiltable one (I had no idea I needed a tiltable screen until I got one)
    A removable battery. I dunno if modern little cameras come with built in batteries like on phones, but you definitely don’t want that. Spare batteries FTW.

The RX100 meets these points except for the filters thing. FWIW I haven’t used a filter in years and not felt the need for one. Likewise tiltable screen – I don’t really use the tilting thing. EVF is useful – in fact that’s why I upgraded from the mk1. Just my preferences, of course – not gospel!

RustySpanner

martinhutch – Member

We got a new, boxed Mk 1 for £280 from Wilkinson’s last October.
    Not seen them that price since.

Great camera.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

RX100 (and many compact zooms) can take filters via adapter, ie something like Lensmate.

I had an RX100 mk1 and found the overall IQ and dynamic range to be excellent. Surpringly so, for such a tiny camera. Very nifty little thing ( if you can live with the fiddly buttons/interface.)

flyingmonkeycorps

The RX100 meets these points except for the filters thing. FWIW I haven’t used a filter in years and not felt the need for one. Likewise tiltable screen – I don’t really use the tilting thing. EVF is useful – in fact that’s why I upgraded from the mk1. Just my preferences, of course – not gospel!

Yep the RX100 does look pretty awesome, I seriously considered one when I bought my GX but I like to stick my old M42 lenses on the front. I guess filters are a personal thing but for “serious” landscapes I definitely like to have the option.

I love my tilting screen though!

Not sure how far back in the model line-up it goes but my RX100 IV has a built in ND filter

wl
    Free Member

RX100 here, oldest model, cost around £200 a year back from John Lewis. Mint little camera, great for landscapes (also, crucially, tiny enough to easily carry to the places where you take landscapes).

ampthill

My rx100 was £250 but they went up

But still brilliant

Landscapes aren’t just about wide angle

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Q3uzZH]Lakes-2[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QbWxu6]Lakes[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Nt2C4n]Curbar Edge[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GbEPrx]DSC00681[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GeNfL8]DSC00741[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What £300 camera for landscapes?’ is closed to new replies.