• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What 3 in 1 pram/buggy/car seat?
  • piemann
    Free Member

We have a new arrival due in April. What does the STW hive mind suggest in the way of a pram/buggy car seat thingummy?

Thanks,

Pie.

AndyRT
    Free Member

get a pram that fits on a bus/tube/taxi. You will need 2, by the way:

1 for offroad (anything not flat level and made of tarmac) A 3 wheeler with 12" wheels is best.
    2 The finger chopping wonders of Mclaren for shopping trips.

Oh, and don't be suckered into buying new ones, they have not changed much in the last 5 years, and the only reason to buy new is for buggy envy.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

piemann I also have a clone arriving in April and i believe me and the boss have settled on the idea of a Quinny!

jeff

We plumped for 2, a Quinny and a Baby Jogger, both off of ebay here.

Baby not arrived, so can't give you real feedback yet!

TimP
    Free Member

We went with a Cybex Callisto (same as SJP dahhhhling), as it is lightweight, maclaren type folder with a carry cot attachment and takes a car seat. All the bits are rated pretty highly by Which? too which was the main reason. The 3 wheeler will come later as Jnr will not be doing too much off roading early in his life, and that will be second hand

TimP
    Free Member

Oh and will be able to give you feedback in about 4 weeks, all going well! It also has a high push bar if either you or Mrs P are tall

beamers

We have got a Maclaren XLR which you can attach the car seat to.

Its worked pretty well for us, the only downside being that the car seat is quite heavy even without child and as the Beamlet has got heavier Mrs B has found it increasingly hard to get the car seat out of the car with the Beamlet sat in it.

For off road duties we bought a Chariot CX2 (we got it in Canada so it was effectively half the price that you pay for them in the UK)

Given the choice of the two I opt for the Chariot when I am out and about as although it seems quite large its not much bigger than the Maclaren when it has the small wheels on the front.

geetee1972
    Free Member

We went for a Quinny Buzz with the carrycot and push chair. This system also is compatible with the Maxi Cosi car seat. Everything apart from the car seat we got off of eBay at a quarter of the new price.

Littleun spent the first two month sleeping in our room in the carrycot so this was a good purchase even if the thing is on the large side. Compatibility with a car seat for quick shopping trips is a huge bonus as you don't have to wake them up getting them in and out of the car.

steve-g
    Free Member

We got a Quinny Buzz 3 wheeler, I didn't want it cos it seemed a bit style over function for me seeing as it is absolutely massive and only has about half a litre of carrying space for any shopping you do, the missus insisted, then also insisted on buying it new because "my baby's not a pikey so we're not buying secondhand stuff" That set us back about 600 quid with all the trimmings and the car seat.

It is actually OK, it is pretty easy to fold down/take wheels off etc when you need to get it in the boot, you need adaptors for the maxi cosi car seat so make sure you get those if you're buying secondhand, most mothercare shops have their display ones stolen as they take some getting hold of. Great for offroading, easy to steer, except on polished floors in supermarkets where the front wheels don't get any grip. Not too sure about the build quality as it seems a bit wobbly after 6 months use but maybe it was always like that cant remember…….and the thing comes with a puncture repair kit, not sure I can see my missus making effective use of that in a hurry

geetee1972
    Free Member

£600! That's a new steel hardtail or half a new FS frame! Makes you want to weep doesn't it.

Travis

We've got a BOB stoller for the running and coping with the pavements here, and then as an extra, I've bought a Graco car seat, which attaches to the BOB (via a clip on bar)

Bob was bought 2nd hand, and the Graco, can be used until 1 year of age

lister

britax vigour 3 , good threewheeler, travel cot thing and a britax car seat (top which seat). and not as common as a quimmy 😉

piemann
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the look of the Quinnys. We're totally at one with our pikey-ness, so it'll be 2nd hand all the way.
    Cheers all.

mudshark
    Free Member

my baby's not a pikey so we're not buying secondhand stuff

That made me laugh. IME, the more well off someone is the less they care about looking like a 'pikey' – maybe it's a self-confidence thing? Some of the wealthiest people I know have holes in their jumpers and scruffy cars/dogs/homes…maybe it's also an old money v new money thing?

steve-g
    Free Member

mudshark – I agree, but I also learnt pretty quickly not to argue with pregnant people

hora
    Free Member

OP. We looked into the same. We are going for a:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230563697/Product.aspx

and a seperate car seat.

Why? My partner doesnt drive and loves shopping. The Baby jogger is light, nimble, highly versatile and drops/pops up with one hand.

We dont care for 'Quinny' etc. Its function for us. My partner is petite/8stone. The bulky Quinny doesnt do it for her.

Depends on your missus though and if she drives herself etc.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What 3 in 1 pram/buggy/car seat?’ is closed to new replies.