Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • what 29er tyre is good for 70/30 road/offroad ( easy stuff )
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Basically need a tyre for bimbling around the rough back lanes of devon and occasional forays onto fireroads /easy singletrack etc . I’d like something with a reasonable width and not too heavy .
    recommendations please
    thanks
    Bill

whitestone
    Free Member

I use Bontrager XR4 on the front and XR3 on the rear which is good for what you want plus more tech stuff. Go XR3/XR2 if you want better rolling

jonnyrockymountain

I’d go xr2 on front and xr1 on rear both 2.2

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Maxxis Ardent does that for me.

enmac
    Free Member

Maxxis Ikon is probably grippy enough for what you are using it for, certainly for the back. Possibly an Ardent on the front.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wtb nano raptor. 700x40c

andyv
    Free Member

Kenda smallblock8. Light fast and cheap.

oxym0r0n

+1 nanoraptor

1-shed
    Free Member

Big apple

kaiser
    Free Member

funnily 1 shed…i’m considering the schwalbe Super moto 2.35 folding which is lighter than the BA but similar . I know it has little grip on damp offroad stuff but i won’t be blasting along and have good balance so they might be just the job.

zippykona

nikk
    Free Member

Super Moto is great, rolls nice, is fine off road if you are taking it easy. Just watch out for mud, they do not like that stuff one bit.

ben98
    Free Member

Geax (now Vittoria) AKA’s are crazily fast tires that offer surprising grip in most conditions, so they’re my recommendation. 2.0 and 2.2 inch versions depending on what you deem appropriate.

timba
    Free Member

Hutchinson Python

kerley
    Free Member

I would agree with something like the super moto. If you are most on road then you don’t want knobs of any kind. And surprising what you can get away with offroad as long as you go easy on the tight corners

TimCotic
    Free Member

With your 70/30 road/smooth off-road requirement, the 700 x 40c doesn’t sound like a bad idea. A 40c (maybe even 35c or 32c) cyclocross tyre will do gravel tracks and unchallenging singletrack pretty well, and will be way quicker than mtb tyres on the road. You can vary the pressures according to use.

I’ve got some open pro hope disk wheels which I put all sorts of tyres on.

jameso

Nano 2.1s if you want any grip in damp/soft conditions as well as a relatively smooth ride on road. Anything with good volume and a fine file tread or similar semi-tread with a smooth centre for faster, smoother rolling on tarmac and dry trails.
    tbh I wouldn’t go 700×40 unless clearances or skinny rims dictate it. A larger file tread with lower pressures can grip really well off road in the dry as long as it’s not too loose, copes with uneven ground better than a 40C and rolls easily, parhaps easier, on tarmac. Nanos are great all-rounders, I love the 40s on my CX bike but ime a 2.2 file/smooth centre tread is faster-rolling on tarmac.
    Super Motos are well worth a try, I liked riding my 29er rigid with Big Apples for mixed terrain summer rides. Also the Vee Speedster / On One BSC 2.3s.

eshershore
    Free Member

Specialized control fast trak with Stan’s sealant could be ideal for your needs.

firedfromthecircus
    Free Member

Marathon Mondial 1.75 flavour doing that job for me.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Racing Ralph in my opinion.

ceepers

As mentioned above, a 700c x 40 cyclocross tyre is a good choice, they are pretty capable on easy off-road and will roll faster on.

Clement x’plor mso in 40c will do a good job. The wtb nano is supposedly excellent too!

tommid
    Free Member

Schwalbe Furious Freds I have them in 29×2.0 and I thought they would be rubbish in the wet, but have proved themselves very capable and fast both on and off road.
    Last few weeks have seen them in the wet mud and sandy off road here in Norfolk and have managed amazingly well. On the road there is no buzz and they are so quick.

epicyclo

I can highly recommend 2.35″ Big Apples. I’m using them for the purpose you want.

I’ve been using them for rides such as Kingussie to Dores via the Corrieyairack (about 60 miles all up)

and the Alladale Loop (Dingwall via Strathrusdale to Alladale, the along Loch Vaich to the Ullapool Road, and back to Dingwall) That’s about 80 miles and 50% offroad.

And many other shorter rides such as Dingwall to Achnasheen and then over the top to Ardroy and back by road.

The high volume makes up for the lack of knobs. I considered the Motos, but they look a bit lightweight for offroad. (I’d be happy to know different.)

I have them on 32mm rims and run them at 20psi unless it’s all on road in which case it’s 25 psi.

I’ve thought about getting a set of Thunder Burts, but I can’t stand the noise of lugs on road. If it was 30/70 I’d consider them.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘what 29er tyre is good for 70/30 road/offroad ( easy stuff )’ is closed to new replies.