Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What 29er hardtail for around £1k?
  • Painey
    Free Member

So as the title says I’m looking at a 29er hardtail with a budget of around the £1k mark. Have read the great reviews the Scott Scale 960 gets and have to say it sounds right up my street. Only problem is wheels aren’t tubeless compatible (but then I have to be realistic with that budget) and the parts spec isn’t fantastic.

Other than that what else is there? Been looking at the On One Lurcher which looks good.

In short I’m after something that’s going to be pretty tough and fun for trail riding but also light enough to do the odd race. Any recommendations or would I just be better off getting the Scott and swapping the rims straight off?

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Genisis Fortitude?

Edit:
    May be a bit heavy to race on tho’…

grievoustim
    Free Member

My girlfriend just got the Scott on bike to work

It’s a very nice bike for the money, looks great. the wheels and forks would be the first candidates for an upgrade but that’s to he expected at that price

will
    Free Member

Well I was going to say Canyon, but that Kona looks a right deal!

dknwhy

I’ve got the Scott. Had it for about a month now and have put a few hundred miles on it. It’s a good bike. Not the lightest but then for £1000, I don’t know what you’d expect.
    Was hard for me to go from a 26 to a 29er. Steering is noticably slower but then it’s a fast bike in a straight line and rolls well. Build quality looks good. Overall, i’m happy.

mintsauce5
    Free Member
    bookemdanno
    Free Member

I would also recommend having a look at the Genesis range. But not sure about how heavy you would find it for racing. I love my mantle – for local trail riding its perfect.

Painey
    Free Member

I have to say the Scott does sound like a good bike and I agree that the wheels and fork are top of the list of upgrades, then possibly swap the rest over when it breaks. Any idea what they tyre clearance is like on the back? I ride the South Downs mostly and in winter the chalky mud sticks like poo to a blanket!

Any of the Canyon’s look good and already owning a Canyon trail bike I know what to expect from them.

The On One Lurcher is a good spec for the money except I’m looking at roughly £1.6k once I’ve swapped wheels over.

Giant XTC 3 looks pretty good too.

petersnell
    Free Member

Just bought a Whyte 629 on ctw scheme, only been out a dozen or so rides but very pleased so far. Good frame that rides well, slackish head angle,plenty of tire clearance and does great wheelies! Brakes are crap though and needs a better fork eventually.

ska-49
    Free Member

I’d go for that kona. Great deal! Gives you £250 for a nice set of race wheels- Crests on ProIIs ?

j5kol
    Free Member

I’ve owned a Whyte 529 for 7 months now and have covered approx 400 miles on it. My mileage is a mixture of commuting and off road. I would highly recommend purchasing one as i have been massively impressed with mine. Be aware that Whyte have put a significant amount of effort into the design of their 29ers to ensure that they handle much like a 26″. This is evident in the way they have maintained the same length chainstay as a 26″ but put a bend in the seat post tube to accomodate the 29″ wheel, therefore keeping the same geometry as a 26″.

mboy
    Free Member

Just ordered that Kona myself, purely for the frame, but if it rides as good as the geometry suggests it should, it will be a bargain of a deal! Will be putting more boutique kit on it that I already own, but frame does look a goodun.

maxray
    Free Member

Been looking for a similar bike but can’t shake the worry that a 29er when you are 5’8″ is a bit like a clown bike! Think I will have to demo one to see or maybe I should buck the trend and stick with 26″ :$

jim25

Giant Talon 1 for £999. Great bike or if you can stretch to £1500 the carbon xtc 3

oldgit
    Free Member

Second the Trek X-Caliber, coz I bought one on that budget 🙂

Comes with Reba forks which seemed good? And specially corrected ones at that.
    Tubeless ready.
    Pretty tidy looking.
    Had a go at racing and got 3rd in age (grand vet) on it, so pretty happy all round.

weegi
    Free Member

@mboy, what size did you go for? I’m 6ft with a 33″ inside leg, so looking at the Kona website seem to be either the 19″ or 20″. The 20″ has the best reach if I compare it with my other bike but the standover height seems a tad higher at 33.4″. Use will be purely XC and some hours in the saddle, have a bouncy for the hard stuff.

cp

weegi, I’m similar to your dims and a 20″ is too big for me, 19″ is a good sweet spot.

scottalej
    Free Member

I’d go for the Trek as well. I had a 2010 Paragon and ran it with 120mm fork, wide bars and short stem. Brilliant fun. It was only the typically harsh aluminium ride that persuaded me to buy a Cotic Solaris. Interestingly, when I compared the geometry with the same forks, tube lengths, etc, the Trek is virtually identical!

weegi
    Free Member

Cheers CP, good to know

simonlovell999
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

weegi, I’m 5ft10 with a 32.5″ inside leg. I went for the 18″. I’ve not owned a Kona before but have had a go on a few, 19’s are just a bit too big for me and 18’s usually perfect. I’d say at 6ft the 19″ will be spot on most likely, though if you did go for the 20″ it’s only a tiny bit longer.

Getting impatient now waiting for it, suppose it’ll be Monday/Tuesday now as it didn’t arrive today… Can’t wait! 🙂

weegi
    Free Member

Cheers mboy, went down to my local Kona dealer today to have a chat about sizes. My bouncy bike is a Scott in L and the 20″ is actually closer to those dimensions than the 19″ with regards stand over and toptube length.
    In saying that, they thought that either bike would do the job as you can always extend the length of the stem, the 19″ would be more nimble but for hours in the saddle for XC then the 20″ would be more comfortable but again, until you try it, you can never tell.

Would be good to get some feedback once you get it, not seen too many specs with regards stem lengths & seat tube sizes etc..looks a sweet deal though.

@CP Forgot to ask, was it a Kahuna you tried with regards comparing 19″ vs 20″ or was that in general? Kona sizes are pretty close to each other but nice to have the options

tom200

I have had a Scott 960 for about 9 months, and it is a superb bike. It replaced an old orange xc hardtail that was 4lb lighter, the Scott feels so much lighter on the trail, I wiped minutes of my strava PB’s.

My only criticism is the wheels are not up to aggressive riding (nor are any 29er wheels in this price range)’ I tacoed the rear so swapped the rims out for some stans ones (same erd so no need to replace spokes). With tubeless lit rims it is now super fast. The componentry is particularly bling but it all works superbly.

Btw, I am surprised by how well it handles super technical downhill.

maxray
    Free Member

Tom 200 would you really rate it? It got 2013bike of the year in that price bracket, reckon its as goos as slightly more expensive 29ers like the trek stache7 ?

cp

weegi – Konas in general.

weegi
    Free Member

Cheers CP, as this is mostly going to be for XC/hours in the saddle, might go for the 20″ as the reach looks ideal.

mrben101
    Free Member

Hi.

Sorry to highjack the thread – and with my first post too!

Is the Kona Kahuna Deluxe linked above the best bike I’m likely to find for £750/£800?

I’m also looking at

One On Scandal (http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSC29X5/on_one_scandal_trail_29er_mountain_bike)

Cannondale Trail SL2 2012 (http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p4273/CANNONDALE-TRAIL-SL-29%5CER-2-%282012%29

Can’t find any of these 3 locally so can’t go and try any of them before I buy.

Hired a Genesis Mantle 10 round Cannock Chase a few weeks ago and loved it! But thats all the mountain biking I’ve done for years.

Cheers.

maxray
    Free Member

Do swinnertons only do the mantle in your budget?

dragon
    Free Member

Another happy X-Cal owner here, ace bike.

Glad someone else spotted Cotic ‘borrowed’ Trek’s geometry. Makes me laugh when Cotic say they spent ages testing and designing the Solaris.

mrben101
    Free Member

@maxray

Yeah, just the mantle as their basic bike. The next step up is a full sus and if I ride one of those I’ll just want one – which I can’t afford! 🙂 tried to book a bike again this weekend but they were all gone – which is why I’d really like to buy my own 🙂

tom200

I couldn’t comment on the Trek as I haven’t ridden one. I don’t like Treks, something about them that I done get, not sure what it is.

matt_outandabout

That Kona looks great – and a few quid over to swap the Juicy brakes out and some nice tyres.

z1ppy

Can all you bargain hunter explain to me why that Kona is still in-stock and now reduced by 52%.

6079smithw
    Free Member

The front end on that Kona is ridiculously high.

Get this Genesis instead – superior in every way
    http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b156s776p8065/GENESIS_Mantle_20_Front_Suspension_29Er_Mountain_Bike_2013/RS_GB/24277?gclid=CNrjyJrntrgCFWOWtAodE24AeA

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What 29er hardtail for around £1k?’ is closed to new replies.