Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What 29er front tyre (hardtail – xc/trail)?
  • core

Looking for something reasonably high volume, that doesn’t weigh a ton, rolls fast and will perform as an all rounder, leaning more towards XC. Will be run tubeless.

Just taken off a Conti X King 2.2, ideally just want something not much slower, but bigger and more confidence inspiring.

sandwicheater

Always liked by Spesh Purgatory as a good all rounder.

Yak

You need a vitoria Barzo 2.25.
    Like a better and bigger version of an x king. Better in the loose, mud and hooks up well in corners. Still a proper xc tyre so rolls well.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

I like the MK2 Protection 2.4 on the front of my scale 910.
    Tubeless
    A bit on the heavy side, but inspires a bit more confidence.

I like to think I’m still pretty quick on it.

faustus

Don’t know how it compares to X King, but i’ve been using a WTB Bronson race on the front for quite a while now and it’s very good. Reasonably light, pretty fast, grippy edges, high volume and tubeless ready (mine aren’t yet though). Don’t know if it’s XC enough for you but it does well in many conditions.

ajantom

On-one Smorasbord. Good volume, not too heavy, and reliable all weather grip. Also pretty cheap.

core

mrmoosehead – I presume you mean the X King 2.4? They’re not too dear, even in black chilli from Wiggle…..

steve_b77
    Free Member

2nded on the Barzo they’re ace, or a Bonty XR3

richmtb

Ardent

fifeandy
    Free Member

Interested in this myself – like the xking a lot – insanely fast, and grippier than you might expect from looking at them. But the 2.2 is a little lacking in volume for sure. The problem with replacing it is there’s not a whole lot out there that can even come close to an xking in terms of rolling speed. A Rocket Ron in 2.25 (snakeskin obviously) will be a little larger. An xking 2.4 maybe depending on how wide your rims are?

@Yak – barzo looks an interesting shout, although not seen any data on how vittoria mtb tyres roll

brassneck

Always liked by Spesh Purgatory as a good all rounder.

That’s what I have – replaced an Ikon with it for winter, but have only switched the back tyre back to the Ikon – it’s nice to have a bit extra to lean on on a hardtail.

Yak

Hmmm, not sure if they’ve been through the rolling tests as per the other xc tyres. Might be a matter of time as they are newish. They ‘feel’ fast, but that is subjective. I took a punt on them as I like other vitorias such as saguaros, and I couldn’t get hold of a snakeskin Ron before 24:12. So went with a Barzo up front and a Ralph on the rear. Felt spot on imo.

Andy-R

Chunky Monkey, it’s what I use, so…..

steve_b77
    Free Member

barzo looks an interesting shout, although not seen any data on how vittoria mtb tyres roll

Round and round like the wheels on a bus 😆

Seriously, I don’t think they offer any more rolling resistance than something like a Rocket Ron, they are very similar indeed to an X-King. Certainly haven’t held me back at all and were more than fast enough for the Scott Marathons I’ve done and 9th place solo at Mayhem too.

core

I’m running an Arch EX rim, think they’d take the 2.4 X King OK, might be a bit rounded, but I could live with that.

Planning on riding the 29er a lot more and doing some bikepacking trips so the extra volume would be welcom for that. The barzo does look good, not easy to find though.

I run a 2.3″ Purgatory on the rear of my 26″ soul at the moment, it’s good for that, and the riding I do on it, but would prefer something faster, also find the control carcass a bit squirmy on the front, I’m over 14st and lacking finesse and used to end up with a lot of burping.

br
    Free Member

Depends where you live really, for me its rocky/rooty/muddy Scotland.

I run either a HR2 or Shorty, both 3C compound. Black chilli Barons are also reliable.

All tubeless.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Rocket Ron 2.25 Evo would be my choice.
    Light ,rolls well,good cornering grip for a front tyre.
    Snakeskin if your heavy on sidewalls though!
    Thanks,
    Max

heavy_rat
    Free Member

^ wot he said

treksuperfly
    Free Member

Bontrager XR2 (fast) or XR3 (not quite as fast but grip better) team issue in 2.3 are both great for what you want

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

core – Member
    mrmoosehead – I presume you mean the X King 2.4? They’re not too dear, even in black chilli from Wiggle…..

Nah, The Mountain King II, in 2.4

Seems bombproof – got me through 4 days in the Sierra Nevada whilst everyone else was getting punctures on Rocket Rons

kerley
    Free Member

I recently swapped a 2.3 Race King for a 2.4 Mountain King on the front (kept Race King on rear) and it didn’t feel any slower at all on smooth sections and actually turns out faster on more technical/rougher stuff due to the extra grip and cornering speed.

fifeandy
    Free Member

MK2 2.4 rolls like a hog compared to the 2.2 XKing.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Hutchinson Squale 2.3 here, not tubeless but am running it tubeless on stans flow. Great tyre down here in Cotswolds slippery stone, then Mud, then hard pack dirt

jonnyrockymountain

Bontrager XR2 team issue 2.2

fudge9202
    Free Member

Hutchinson Toro 2.3
    Check out the reviews on here.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

fifeandy – Member
    MK2 2.4 rolls like a hog compared to the 2.2 XKing.

Hehehe. Maybe I’d be super fast with x-kings on then.

TBH, I prefer the extra volume and grip. Might try the XKings I have if I can be arsed to change them over. Mind you, summer is almost over and we’ll be back to mud soup shortly…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What 29er front tyre (hardtail – xc/trail)?’ is closed to new replies.