Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • what 29er tyre for trail riding?
  • sherry
    Free Member

As above, not stupidly expensive. I was looking at the Hans Damp tyres as I have them on my enduro and they are cheapish. But think they maybe a bit much for for an xc/trail bike.

chopchop
    Free Member

Check your frame and forks can take the Hans Dampfs, they come up VERY big in 29er size. I had to take my rear off as it was rubbing too much and replaced with a Racing Ralph in 2.25- which is a little bit too small if anything but riding better than I thought it would. RR’s were £25 from OnOne a couple of weeks ago.

squeaky
    Free Member

Try a Specialized Ground Control 2.1, weighs in at a not to shabby 590g.

mattjg
    Free Member

But think they maybe a bit much for for an xc/trail bike.

I’d agree, I ran them on my rigid SS, lovely and grippy and cushiony but too heavy to push along for XC riding.

Currently on a 2.25 Nic on the front and a 2.0 mud tyre on the back – may go to Rons or Ralphs if it ever drys up again.

sherry
    Free Member

Cheers, I’m thinking more of a 2.25 profile. Little bit better grip and cushioning. The HD’s do come up big on my enduro, that was my concern.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got purgatory 2.2’s, no complaints with them for gerneral trail riding in muddy conditions, they’re not a mud tyre but they do work acceptably, and they’re not a dry tyre, but they’re no too draggy.

shortcut

Black round ones!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

geax saguaro 2.2 on the rear, Ardent 2.4 on the front…. do none of you read the mag!?!?

go anywhere, do anything… i have followed this advice on my 29er build

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve had Specialized Purgatory on the front and Ground Control on the rear on my HT and FS 29ers and they’ve been almost perfect for me. The only downside is that the Purgatory can struggle in the mud sometimes.

jameso

I’ve got purgatory 2.2’s, no complaints with them for gerneral trail riding in muddy conditions, they’re not a mud tyre but they do work acceptably, and they’re not a dry tyre, but they’re no too draggy.

Agreed – great mixed / all-round tyres.

geax saguaro 2.2 on the rear, Ardent 2.4 on the front…. do none of you read the mag!?!?

go anywhere, do anything…Are you expecting it to dry up soon then? )

Mbnut
    Free Member

I have run Rocket Rons throughtout the very wet past 8 weeks… slippery but enormous fun and when things dry up I love ’em… super fast and proper side knobs.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Kenda Nevagals are pretty good cheap too.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Been using a Ron 2.25 on the front and Beaver on the back.Been great the last few month’s.Rocket Ron has been on since summer and quite grippy through the slop.Not bad for a summer tyre and good volume.
    Thanx,
    Max

ahwiles
    Free Member

on one smorgasboards/chunky monkeys.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Running:

Rear: Continental Mountain King 2 BC Protection -29 x 2.2

Front: Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo – 29 x 2.35

Work perfectly together for me…….

steve_b77
    Free Member

I swap between the following combos:

Not overly muddy / wanting to go fast – 2.1″ Ground Control front & rear.
    Bit muddier / rockier / most of the year – 2.2″ Purgatory Front & 2.1″ Groubd Control Rear
    Mud – 2.2″ Purgatory front & 2.0″ Storm rear

The GC’s are excellent all rounders, the Purgs are proper grippy on everything I’ve come across and are fast too, the Storm is IMHO the best mud tyre out there.

robbieh
    Free Member

Beavers when it’s wet and Ardents when it’s dry… XC, Trail, Enduro, what’s the difference?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Are you expecting it to dry up soon then?

No, but my bike won’t be finished until June at the earliest, if it’s still snowing then I’ll have bigger things to worry about…

sherry
    Free Member

Robbieh, if you try using xc low profile/volume light weight tyres on an long travel AM bike you will be fixing punctures all day and repairing rims. Not to mention poor grip. You don’t need big heavy draggy aggressive tyres for xc/trails. Well that’s my opinion.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘what 29er tyre for trail riding?’ is closed to new replies.