Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What 29'er for £1500?
  • PGreen
    Free Member

I’ve just had an extensive test(well 75 miles over 3 days-better than a pedal around carpark!) of a 29er, off a bike shop, (the managers personal bike) and am now 100% sold on 29er HTs.

Since then I’ve been scouring the interwebs for 29ers to find out what brands do them. Current favourite is the Trek (Gary Fisher) Paragon, spec seems great for the money (plus the bike i had on loan was a 2008 model of that) or possibly a Scott Scale 29 (team?) Probably wont be purchasing until september but trying to get a vague idea of what I fancy. Main problem is that the paragon this year is black, I currently own a black bike and it never looks clean (I’m a tart)

Like my bikes reasonably snappy and fast(raceable on occasions), 80-100mm is perfect. But all day comfort wouldnt be a bad thing.

Cotic Solaris has caught my eye(when its released), and at a guess if prices are the same as soul frames then I could spec it reasonably for £1500 (maybe a little more for a custom build)

Another bonus is my Girlfriend is American so I go over state side a fair amount(3 times a year ish), meaning I could pick up parts or possibly even a whole bike, as I know they are big on big wheels out there.

What would you recommend?

Oh yeah and I dont really like On-Ones….

rustler
    Free Member

Not just a teeny weeny bit…(24lbs, £500 s/h). 😉

IMAG0282 by pten2106, on Flickr

If I had your budget, & was Stateside regularly, I’d be lusting after a Niner SIR9…

PGreen
    Free Member

That Orange On-one is pretty nice 🙂 How does it ride?

I do lust after the Niners, although a geared one for me please!

rustler
    Free Member

Rides great. Rigid front works better on a 29er. Someone (rocketdog possibly) coined the phrase “sitting in it, as opposed to on it” & having an identical 26″ Inbred that’s spot on. Nice comfy ride, but what struck me was how chuckable it is. You think big wheels & imagine something unweildly, but that’s not the case.

PGreen
    Free Member

Yeah completely know what you mean about sitting in the bike, thats what I said as soon as I rode that test bike, and ‘bonded’ (if you know what i mean) with the bike straight away. Chuckable and rolls amazing. Maybe I’ll reconsider my stance on On-one.

clunker

Singular Swift?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Love my Niner…..

click HERE for bigger detailed pic

Paid £1600 for it from Chevin’s, but if you can buy stateside then do so and save a fortune..

The only time I don’t ride it is when I’m riding my other 29 er… 😆

PGreen
    Free Member

Love that Niner, and that price seems very reasonable! Special deal? also that Rumblefish looks alot better in the flesh than the pictures I’d seen on the Trek Website.

PGreen
    Free Member

Double Post.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Geordie Mick – Your bottle cage is on upside down…

Taff
    Free Member

Brother in law bought a giant xtc 29er for well under that price and loves it. Personally like the look of the on one packages

geordiemick00
    Free Member

PGreen – Member
    Love that Niner, and that price seems very reasonable! Special deal? also that Rumblefish looks alot better in the flesh than the pictures I’d seen on the Trek Website.

Yes they do, quite a big bike but it’s mega stable, rolls really well and is as fast as I want to go!

The Niner was a bit of a one off so yes a special.

Teetosugars – Member
    Geordie Mick – Your bottle cage is on upside down..

Not now, deliberate mistake when I bought it!!

They now both have Hope brakes on them, X2’s on the Niner and M4’s on the Rumblefish 2

PGreen
    Free Member

Quite fancying this at the moment:
    Rocky Mountain Vertex 29 SE

charliedontsurf

Get a niner. And find some more money. Sir9 if you like steel. Air9 for loooow weight.
    But if the bike shop chap was kind enough to lend you his own bike you should go to him first and see what he can do you.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Hey Charlie, I know I shouldn’t tempt fate, but this thread has been running for aprox 11 hours with no one making any scathing remarks about 29ers. Where are they all???? 😆

I take it you’ve currently got a 26er ?
    How about buying 29er frame, forks and rims or wheels and swapping everything else over ?
    That would effectively increase your budget, although it would decrease your trade in value.

charliedontsurf

No 29er nay Sayers!!!!
    I guess it’s All over. Gone to the tedious mainstream and no longer niche.
    Look out for the “Charlie the Bikemonger’s: 29er common as shite – 36ers are the new cool” sale.
    By 2015 I will have you all on penny farthings

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What 29'er for £1500?’ is closed to new replies.