Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What 29er carbon hardtail
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Looking to replace my stolen Cannondale Rize with something more my cupa tea. So I’m going for a 29er hard tail. Can’t afford a xc full sus, so hardtail it is. So far Cannondale Flash and er that’s about it. Specialized Stumpjumper look anything but special, so any other thoughts? Yeti Bigtop just outside my price, but looks stunning.

twohats
    Free Member
    tang
    Free Member

now that is nice.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Scott Scale 29er? Getting a demo Scale 29 Pro to have a go on at the weekend, looks pretty promising to me… I DO however like that Santacruz, especially the Edge/Enve rims.

moose2008
    Free Member

I think that on one do one now and it’s supposed to be very good, it’ll definitely be good on price. Niner air nine carbon is awesome but might be more than you want to pay. I have a niner sir9 which is steel but can be still built up within a couple of pounds difference and is a mile eating comfort machine. Scoot scale set up the way you like would be a good middle of the road bet. On One will be worth a look defo though.

bigsi
    Free Member

The Scott Scale 29er Pro is fantastic value at £2100 IMO.

Quest Adventures in Worthing have the Scott’s southern demo fleet to look after including the above in a lrg.

I like the look of it and it rides like the wind.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have a on one sample & it flys its only 22.5lb with my winter gear on,just slapping on some new bits carbon lefty/xtr & rotor cranks so hopefully it be around the 20-21 lb mark,the frame is out in a few weeks its £699 for the frame.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Santa cruz carbon ht!!!??? OOOOOeeeeeee.Got all excited then until I realized theres no ss option. Booooooooeeeeeeee.
    Not feeling the niner air carbon too much 🙁

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Orbea Alma 29er?

brassneck

Singular?

tazzymtb

nice Chinese or Taiwanese frame from the same factories that make for the big boys for silly money?
    for example

or

or

or

prices vary but come in from $350-500 plus shipping. Once I’ve made my mind up which one has the nicest geometry I may post up here to see if anyone wants a STW group buy as it’ll make shipping a lot cheaper!
    they are all press fit BB etc

Some of the carbon 29er forks are ace as well and vary from 500g-700g with offsets from 39-48mm

bonesetter
    Free Member

nice post tazzy which one you likin so far?

Soz for minor hijack

tazzymtb

the axman is lovely but they tend to do larger orders with custom graphics for clubs etc.. there are european bike shops that sell axman frames with their logos on that are being sold from 800-1200 euros so I’ve bobbed axman an email to see if they have a minimum order number for undecorated frames (it’s worth a try)

failing that the evolution looks sweet as you can get a matching carbon fork with a tapered carbon steerer (frame is sub 1200 g and the for is 550) so that will build into a super light bike with the right kit on it.

TBH they all look good so it’ll probably come down to best price. They all offer 12-24 month warranty as well which makes me feel a bit better about having a punt on a string n glue frame.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I can’t find geo info for any of them

tazzymtb

there’s a whole mass of info on them on mtbr with actual weights, geometries etc..

just made an enquirey regarding these as well

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ll look there, ta

bigsi
    Free Member

That on-one has been 10 rounds with the ugly stick.

Candodavid
    Free Member

“That on-one has been 10 rounds with the ugly stick”

It failed woefully too, truly the most gopping modern bike I have ever gone blind looking at.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

“That on-one has been 10 rounds with the ugly stick.”

Original comment of the year so far goes to…………….

tazzymtb

the goto looks like the winner, geometry looks good for me, light and cheap and no garish bloomin logos.

geometry below for the 17.5″ anyone want in on a buy I’ll post a thread when I’ve got final shipping costs

trickydisco
    Free Member

my god have you seen that light niner build on mtbr? ( not sure what’s going on with his biggles goggles 🙂

13 lbs, 15oz!!!

bonesetter
    Free Member

tazzy – got a linky for that geo pic?

saladdodger
    Free Member

I may get hung for this but the only good looking carbon h/t I have seen is the Niner

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That on-one has been 10 rounds with the ugly stick.

I think that’s a poor pic taken close up with a wide lens, which has distorted the image. The head angle looks like about 80degrees for a start! 😉

ooc29 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr
    That said, is it me or are all these cabon 29ers the same frame, give or take??? 😕

There seems to be VERY little difference between the On One and the Niner!

EDIT
    I’ve had a good look at the OO pic and the Niner site, and as I suspected, they are very close to being the same frame. They don’t come out of the same mould, but I’d bet they come from the same factory and/or design. 🙂

69er
    Free Member

On One are setting an aesthetic benchmark with their carbon frames…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

On One are setting an aesthetic benchmark with their carbon frames…

They’re just copying eveyone else it seems!

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sorry PP but the carbon On ones do not look too good in the pictures.

But I have not seen one in the flesh either

Mind you I have had several on-ones and they all ride realy well so please do not think I am knocking them on anything other than asthetics

69er
    Free Member

milkybar’s is the ugliest bike pic I’ve seen for a while:

It looks like the plastic frame has been stood in the blazing sun all day and then ridden into a wall by a 25 stone monster….

Clink

Each to their own – I like the look of the On-one frame 😀

keavo
    Free Member

ordered an on-one. i can live with the looks, pretty sure it will be great ride.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

It will look better next week when i put all the new bits on.

moose2008
    Free Member

Tazzymtb

Do you know which bike the 29er hardtail frame and forks from gotobikes are based on ?

nouveau
    Free Member

Hiya Tazzy. I’m pretty interested in a far east 29ner… How have you got on with your enquiries?

charliedontsurf

The carbon air9 is lovely. We have sold a few and they are insanely cool.
    Drop me an email if you want one – can do a sweet deal.

mountaincycle
    Free Member

Gentlemen,
    There are a lot of good info on this thread about carbon 29ers.. my question is, to buy or not to buy? I’m looks and already have pricing for the carbon 29er frame and carbon fork from gotobikes and want to pull the trigger, but first wanted to ask all of you guys on Single track world… so, plz give me your feed back/advice, do it or not?
    thx,

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What 29er carbon hardtail’ is closed to new replies.