Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What 29er 120mm fork?
  • variflex
    Free Member

Recommendations for 120mm 29er fork….. fox float being an easy choice, what options from RockShox (Pikes, Revs?). Also, are X-Fusion worth a shot (eg TRACE). This is probably to go on a gyro frame.

bigbloke
    Free Member

My default choice is always Rockshox Reba’s great fork never had much to whinge about with them in 26″ or 29″ form.

methers27
    Free Member

Rockshox SID might be worth considering

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

Depends what use it’s for & how heavy a fork you want to run IMO. If you want to keep it light you looking at 32mm stantion, if your not bothered by the weight & want it tough, then 34mm (or 35mm in the case of the pikes).

RS’s SID and Reba’s also should be considered if you want XC & light. For something a bit stiffer there lots of debate between the Rev’s/Fox 32’s, Rev’s seemingly getting a slight upper hand. That said I run some Fox 120’s (came with bike) & they’re hardly noodle like. X fusion’s Slide shouldn’t be over looked as a decent value option (if a little heavy), and no ones screaming about any x fusion horror stories.

If you want something stiffer still, it may well be Pikes can be spacered down to 120mm, and would be the one to go for if you want the current ‘best’, otherwise maybe consider the newer 2014 Fox 34’s (assuming they have sorted the damping out). Otherwise again the X fusion’s Trace look to be a good value option, nice and stiff but maybe not as well behaved once the going get really rough.

mbl1
    Free Member

Manitou Tower Pros get great reviews and are silly cheap at CRC.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Having owned a couple of sets of x-fusion as well as Fox there’s no way Fox will be getting any of my money again. They’re much more expensive, manage to look and feel cheap in comparison and there’s that many reports of shodddy damping etc on the newer ones I can’t see why you’d bother.

I’ve had the Slides and they’re a great fork which were a lot stiffer than you’d expect. They might be a little heavier than the SIDs but they’re going on a Gyro so I can’t see that being an issue.

CheesybeanZ

Another vote for Manitou , we’ve got 3 sets and can’t fault them for the money .

variflex
    Free Member

Thanks everyone,
    Not wanting to go too light as Ive found 32’s on my 29 hardtail flex, so looks like its going to be between the trace and the pikes. Question is whether 140mm pikes can be spaced down to 120? any ideas as I cotic are doing pikes for 550 and the trace is pretty much the same money elsewhere. Would probably go for pikes over trace if the same money in order to protect residuals.

daveh
    Free Member

Slants are better than Rev RCT3s imo if that helps.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

One of the Spesh Camber models has 120mm Pikes. Presumably at some point they will release air sleeve assembly kits to achieve this. Probably that same 120mm kit would be used to convert the 26″ fork to 140mm?

dantsw13

I went for the manitou tower pro eventually after a lot of deliberating. Very happy so far – the ones from CRC have the firm spring fitted, which is good for about 75-95kg.

bikeneil
    Free Member

X Fusion Slides on my Solaris. They are as good as any Fox or Rockshox I’ve had. They are a tad heavier but nothing too bad. My Solaris comes in at just over 25 lbs with the Slides and I love it!

mbl1
    Free Member

Dantsw13 – is that definite? it says medium on their (bloody awful) website.

Alex

Just swapped from a RCT3 Rev to a Trace (did this on 26 as well Rev to a Slant). Trace is a bit heavier but otherwise a better forks. Stiffer, doesn’t dive as much, just feels more controlled. Rev is a good for (especially if you get a RCT3) but the Trace is a better one unless weight is your only issue.

Not tried SIDs – have Reba’s on my Solaris and they’re fine (100mm tho)

dantsw13

Mbl1 – yes, confirmed by Manitou. I assume you know the Tower Pro runs an air and oil spring in series, with the coil doing the work early in the travel, with the air taking over as travel usage increases. The firm coil is considered similar to a normal medium.

Clink

Bugger. I was after some of the Manitous in 100mm/tapered/15mm and they have all gone 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What 29er 120mm fork?’ is closed to new replies.