Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • What 27.5 PLUS tyres for winter/mud?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

WTB Breakout is good un in 2.5 flavour, doesn’t look as if it should be good in mud, but it is.

Big heavy bombproof bastard of a tyre too, which I like!.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Have the plus size Minions made it to the UK yet?

Pick up my 27.5+ bike next week… just thinking about some winter friendly rubber (before I get some 29″ wheels made!)

BadlyWiredDog

I wouldn’t rule out large sized non-plus tyres – I stuck a 2.4 Ardent on a Scraper on the back of my Sonder and it was almost as large as a notionally 2.8 Trailblazer. I’m not suggesting the Ardent, but a similarly big-carcassed, but more mud-friendly tyre might do the job without losing too much cushion.

Fwiw, my general experience with b+ is that it tends to float and do whatever the mud equivalent of aquaplaning is on soft, sloppy ground, mudplaning maybe…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Fwiw, my general experience with b+ is that it tends to float and do whatever the mud equivalent of aquaplaning is on soft, sloppy ground, mudplaning maybe…

I was going to say – you all know how a boat works don’t you?

I do think plus tyres are very conditions specific. I’m heading to Wales weekend after next and will be going plus as I think water on rock will be fine. However, after a mild few days and lots of rain here in the deep south, I suspect plus tyres will be useful only in places where there’s plenty of conifers and sandy soil.

nemesis
    Free Member

Proper mud here in the Mendips last night and my plus was great with the purgatory front and back. Shame it’s just a touch wide for the back.

Alex

I did consider a WT 2.5 but it’s going to lower the BB and I really don’t want to do that on my FlareMax. I’ll probably go with the 29er/Beaver combo. Just and an excuse to run 29er tyres on it.

The Rekon’s are okay in mud but like all semi-fats I’ve tried they tend to fill with mud and not clear quickly at all. They’re probably better than the WTB Bridger/Ranger combo on the Stache. Not that that’s saying much.

scotroutes

I fitted a 3.0 Nobby Nic to my Pact today and took it for a ride in the sloppiness stuff I could find. Massive improvement on the FatBnimble an should see me through winter just fine.

nemesis
    Free Member

Any chance you could measure your NN, scotroutes? Interested in carcass and maximum width (ie including knobs). Oh and which rim you have it on?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What 27.5 PLUS tyres for winter/mud?’ is closed to new replies.