Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What 24" kids MTB?
  • scotabroad

just wondered where the best deals were at the moment. Looking for something half decent.

Cheers

S

PePPeR

I got my Son a Diamondback, its been brilliant!

daveb
    Free Member

My son has had a Ridgeback MX24 which has oput up with all sorts of abuse. A well made bike and does the job pretty well. The Spesh Hotrock is also meant to be very good

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevemorg2

I'm going to be selling 2 Isla Beinns in the next week or so (both of my kids have moved on to 26inch wheeled bikes)

They have been superb and I can wholeheartdly recommend them – even if you aren't interested in the ones I have!

stevemorg2

I'm going to be selling 2 Islabike Beinns in the next week or so (both of my kids have moved on to 26inch wheeled bikes)

They have been superb and I can wholeheartdly recommend them – even if you aren't interested in the ones I have!

ji
    Free Member

Stevemorg2 – might be very interested in one or both, depending on price. Are they standard spec, or have you changed tyres etc?

ji
    Free Member

Stevemorg2 – might be very interested in one or both, depending on price. Are they standard spec, or have you changed tyres etc?

tinsy
    Free Member

I cant see it listed now, but the Halfords Carrera blast in green with disc brakes was the best value I found by a long way at about £170 it was light and the forks felt nice (shop test) but the green was horrible and my lad rejected it on the colour, I spent a fair bit more on a Felt from Evans with V brakes and though its decent enough its no lightwieght.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Hi Stevemorg2, – those Beinns are both 24" are they?

BlobOnAStick

I have a similar dilemma.

The Kona Shred 2-4 is discounted at JE James at the moment (down to £390), 13" frame with cable operated discs and 80mm travel fork. Also, the Kona Mula (12" frame) is on sale at Evans down to £240.

How old are your kids? Mines just approaching 9 and I have been considering a small (14") adult bike instead of the intermediate size.

Ben

BlobOnAStick

Ooops…. make that the Kona Hula

stevemorg2

both Beinns are 24s – looks like they are both sold!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

selling my boys specialized hotrock FSR if anyone is interested: used but not battered, still has original tyres & brake pads!
    2006 model (white fork, red paint work). originally cost £400.

open to offers…

BlobOnAStick

crotchrocket – YGM

scotabroad

Flippin hijackers..

scotabroad

Kids are 9 and 11 and they had a shot on a mates kids 24" wheeled bike and it looked just right.

I reckon going to a 26" wheeled bike although it might save me money in the long run would be less enjoyable for the kids to cycle, especially off road. They can still chuck their 20" wheeled bikes around nicely off road but on the road they soon run out of gears.

Has this forum turned into the classified section or have I missed something??

BlobOnAStick

Ooops, sorry Mr Abroad.

Yeah, I think I've come to the conclusion that 26" wheels will be a bit too much for little legs, even if they're growing rapidly. It's just I saw Tracey's post about her daughter's small Giant Reign (huh? does that make sense?) which she got when she was 9.

I saw the Gary Fisher Precaliber today and that seemed like a nice bike…. £240 but not in a sale just yet.

ScottTB

My kids have both grown up on Specialized Hotrocks – from 12", through 16" and now on 20". All have been superb; but not cheap as the 24" is about £240 (which is the same as the Fisher and Isla bikes 24" models).

Some friends have Fisher 20 and 24's for their kids and they get on great with them – they also both got 10% off at the shop just for asking…

The bad news is most kids I know seem to choose bikes by colour, so daft as it sounds, it could be best to work out what colours would be allowed and work back from there!

scotabroad

yes those hot rocks are nice if a few more dollars more. I know about the kids choosing on colour for sure.

Theres a few options and some of those mentioned above are in the LBS's so a little trek around this weekend to see what the kids fancy and what prices they can haggle down too.

cheers all 🙂

Tracey

Our girls went from 20" to 24" and then to 26", Abigale is very tall for her age they are now 11 and 14

Both had Hotrocks and then Stinky JRs before moving on to the Reign and Coiler Too big a bike will put them off

Katies birthday treat at Crans Montana

Depending on height the Hotrock FSR would be my recomendation, has good resale value too

Tracey

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What 24" kids MTB?’ is closed to new replies.