Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What 2.2/3ish rear tyre for all year round use are you using?
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

Or should I just buy a Rubber Queen?

nickdavies

You’ve answered your own question….!
    Been running then for 18 months now and I’m not changing any time soon. Tend to chuck on specialized fast track’s if i’ve got a longer xc slog though cos they are a bit heavy.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Hans Dampf up front and Nobby Nick on the back. I’ve found that combo a brilliant setup for everything through winter and summer and the seasons inbetween (if there are any these days).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Ardent, but not if you’re somewhere that gets gloopy mud.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ardent or minion depends on your riding

zero-cool
    Free Member

Minion DHF

patriotpro
    Free Member

Do the DHFs drag?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what do you mean by drag, they grip

Spesh Eskars do the job for me

Deveron53
    Free Member

Hans Dampf TS front and PS rear. Run at 25-30 psi on my SB95.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

For a trail bike – Minnion DHF, Maxpro, dual ply, 2.3, tubeless

chiefgrooveguru

I’m currently convinced the Rubber Queen 2.2 BC UST is the perfect rear tyre for my riding, all year round. Once you’re off the tarmac it rolls far faster and wears much better than a tyre this grippy should.

mattjg
    Free Member

2.25×29 Nics both ends at the mo.

Anyone tried a 2.25 HD? Much better/different than a NN?

D0NK

minion dhf st front, not fussy about rear TBH

Do the DHFs drag?

yes a bit, I don’t use them on very long rides.

dantsw13

O-O Smorgasbord. Dual compound TLR and dirt cheap.

jam-bo

advantages. my favourite tyre yet.

patriotpro
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    Spesh Eskars do the job for me

Agreed, on an Eskar atm, but it’s knackered. Brilliant tyre, if a little fragile ime. They stopped doing them I think??

Tracey

Im using a Specialized Purgatory Control that came with my Enduro. All our others have Specialized Enduro 2.3s which are great. I had two one week old Eskars returned from sale on here which are now in the spares box with all the other Enduro tyres.

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for Rubber Queens, in black chili.

I have them on my AM bike and they.re very, very good indeed.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve got a BC Mountain King 2 on the back and a RQ up front seems like a good combo although I’m hardly Gnarr but they both do grip well on off camber roots and so on.

patriotpro
    Free Member

and dirt cheap.

Yer not kidding. (£12.49 for the folding ‘Enduro’ version)

Tracey – I’d be interested in the Eskars off you at the right price if you wanted to offload. 😉

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Bontrager XR4 been pretty good for me since February.
    Running 2.2 tubeless on Flows, nice size and fairly decent weight.

Tracey

Sorry cant be bothered off loading after last times episode.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve had rubber queens for about a year now and they are very good grip wise in most conditions, especially on roots and rock, but in my opinion they are not a UK all year tyre, they clog up quickly and do not shed well, I’d even go as far to say they are dangerous at certain times of year! If any Calderdale locals ever ride Elland woods after a downpour then you’ll know what I mean!

On the rear I wouldn’t mind so much as they are fast rolling, but don’t expect much climbing grip in mud.

dantsw13

Sorry, should have added D comp, TLR, dirt cheap and VERY GOOD. They didn’t let go even on wet alpine roots.

matt1986
    Free Member

I go with an Onza Ibex 2.25 EDC R2 55a on the rear and the 45a on the front really grippy and with the duel ply the side walls are really thick, you can get a lighter 120 tpi but the side walls are too thin for rides in the peaks and stuff.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Love a tyre thread, everyone immediately posts the combo they run, convinced that they’re the best, OP ends up with 30+ suggestions and is even more confused than before.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve had rubber queens for about a year now and they are very good grip wise in most conditions, especially on roots and rock, but in my opinion they are not a UK all year tyre, they clog up quickly and do not shed well, I’d even go as far to say they are dangerous at certain times of year! If any Calderdale locals ever ride Elland woods after a downpour then you’ll know what I mean!

On the rear I wouldn’t mind so much as they are fast rolling, but don’t expect much climbing grip in mud.

It’s strange this because I ride often ride in very muddy conditions and find the Rubber Queens climb as well or better than most XC mud tyres. They clog up on the side knobs at low speed though unclog pretty fast, but the big paddle knobs almost always give good braking and driving grip. Maybe it’s a tyre pressure thing? Maybe the SE mud is just Rubber Queen friendly?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What 2.2/3ish rear tyre for all year round use are you using?

everyone immediately posts the combo they run

You don’t understand the way questions and answers work do you?

Stevelol – if you ride Elland Woods in the wet, it doesn’t matter what tyres you use, you’re going to end up going sideways down the hill, gathering more and more speed until you either hit a tree or shoot straight over the Brighouse road and end up in the cut…

patriotpro
    Free Member

I want Rubber-Queen but being a whippet-walking flat-cap wearing, wife beating tight-wad from Yorkshire am gonna give the Smorgasbord a go.

Tracey – First dibs on the Eskars if you ever change your mind pls…

mickolas
    Free Member

Noticing on tyre threads, not a lot of love for WTBs. I run a prowler XT 2.3 rear. climbs like a billy goat over wet, slimy roots and rocks. great in all conditions except where you would expect to need a mud tyre.

what am I missing/do people not like about WTB?

chiefgrooveguru

I want Rubber-Queen but being a whippet-walking flat-cap wearing, wife beating tight-wad from Yorkshire am gonna give the Smorgasbord a go.

As someone with a “whippet-walking flat-cap wearing, wife beating tight-wad from Yorkshire” bloodline, I can tell you that the UST BC Rubber Queens last a really long time – UST carcass is properly tough, BC rubber is freakishly hardwearing – and thus pass the value test! 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Love a tyre thread, everyone immediately posts the combo they run, convinced that they’re the best, OP ends up with 30+ suggestions and is even more confused than before.

Only an idiot would put tyres on they don’t like though wouldn’t they? Most people riding regularly probably wear out three ‘XC’ rear tyres a year (Ignoring supertacky DH tyres which are ruined in a week), so assuming a 5 year model cycle for most tyres, may have tried upto 15 tyres and found a few different models they like and now just buy those.

My money goes on:

Winter – Purgatory (wet, but far better than storms or mud-x on the 95% of the ride that isn’t hub deep mud)
    Summer – Eskar (dry, but still works in the softer stuff)
    Summer – WTB Bronson (if there’s no mud)

The first two are quite tough, not sure I’d take the Bronsons to the Lakes or North Wales though. Either of the first two would work all year, just work better in different seasons. I’ve also liked High rollers, high roller semi slick, and even DMR Moto-R 2.2 and Maxxis Holly roller 2.4’s, but none of those really worked in mud.

the_lecht_rocks

2.35 Hans Fr 2.25″ Nob Nic RR

HD has immense dry condition grip up front on the current bone dry rock and roots up north here. luuuuurverly.

SOAP
    Free Member

Is no one diggin The Butcher?
    I’ve found it very minion-esque on the front and am now thinking about replacing the purg with one on the rear.

Simon

@DBW – that’s a special sort of mud in Elland Park Woods unlike anything we get this side of the hill! I went in there on a Strava mission the other Friday in the wet and grip was non existent :O

patriotpro
    Free Member

As someone with a “whippet-walking flat-cap wearing, wife beating tight-wad from Yorkshire” bloodline, I can tell you that the UST BC Rubber Queens last a really long time – UST carcass is properly tough, BC rubber is freakishly hardwearing – and thus pass the value test!

See what you mean, dear on the face of it, but the high lastability makes it actually good value. Interesting take on it. Just seen th non BC version for £26.99 too…

RustySpanner

Purgatories are great – desgned as a better version of the ADvantage, by the same bloke.

Big volume, predictable, grippy & cheap.

Ignitors are brilliant tyres, well underrated.
    Work great all year, fast but grippy.
    Pricey though.

I think blocky tyres like Cinders and XR4’s draggy on the back but great on the front.

If you fancy a laugh, put a Crossmark on.
    Had mine on all winter, which was good fun.

chiefgrooveguru

See what you mean, dear on the face of it, but the high lastability makes it actually good value. Interesting take on it. Just seen th non BC version for £26.99 too…

I can’t get over how long the tread lasts – it’s only now that it’s dry and loose and rough that my rear tyre is starting to wear. DO NOT BUY THE NON-BLACK CHILI VERSION!!!

Northwind

SOAP – Member

Is no one diggin The Butcher?

Butcher is awesome, but a wee bit dragular on the back. Well, that’s not quite right, it’s not that it’s draggy for the sort of tyre it is, more that it’s a lot of tyre for the rear. Dead good for muddy enduro, etc but as an allrounder I couldn’t be bothered hauling it around all the time.

But then, I just don’t think there’s one good rear tyre that I’d be happy with all year. Ignitor or Rubber Queen would be good some of the time, and alright most of the time but when it gets into proper soggy winter neither is much cop IMO and both are a bit much in summer. 100% worth swapping rears…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What 2.2/3ish rear tyre for all year round use are you using?’ is closed to new replies.