Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What 1×9/1×10 chainring.
  • ratherbeintobago

Looking for a recommendation for above, or does it really not matter? 104mm BCD.

Andy

gee
    Free Member

Hope. I’ve tried loads over the past 2 years and these are by far the least chainsucky.

dimmockgd
    Free Member

+1 on the hope – no issues at all 🙂

Northwind

Unconvinced it makes any difference at all tbh. Renthal and E13 on mine, neither one does anything interesting.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Renthal here too… Just thought it looked the nicest.

crankrider
    Free Member

This used to be true – but with the thick / thin chainrings coming out there will be a genuine benefit from some rings soon:

Works Components – say they will be doing 104bcd soon too

Raceface – protos out at seat otter

E13 have also shown off pictures of protos.

‘Standard’ chainrings will be a thing of the past i reccon!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Renthal for mine.

crankrider
    Free Member

Renthal for mine.

Renthal rings are lovely, but as above, there is no benefit from it in operation, these new rings will solve a lot of chain issues – genuinely a game changer in drive-train…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

explain why

crankrider
    Free Member

explain why

For the same reason Sram XX1 works – thicker / thinner sections of the ring mesh with the chains thick / thin inner profile so you get natural chain retention from the ring – taller teeth help too.

None of these guys seem to have the ‘hooked’ teeth the XX1 also gets though, i assume due to patent (thick / thin rings were covered by patent years ago according to the bikerumour article about the raceface ring)

Im pretty excited to try it and get rid of the draggy heavy lower portion of the chainguide i run, especially in this crap weather.

Bikerumours site has plenty of info on the raceface article….

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Unramped rings do make a difference, especially 1×9 and 1×10 drivetrains where you don’t have a straight chain-line because the chainrings don’t have 1/2 size and 3/4 size rings that are usually there to aid shifting.

Unramped ring, clutch mech and top guide should be all thats needed to hold a chain on for normal riding, XX1 or not.

crankrider
    Free Member

Unramped ring, clutch mech and top guide should be all thats needed to hold a chain on for normal riding, XX1 or not.

I agree to some extent, but if these new rings are a simlar price whats the point in purchasing a ‘standard’ unramped ring?

Northwind

I don’t think they’re going to be similiarly priced!

I’m interested to try it, there’s been quite a few folks who weren’t happy with the chain retention, including some SRAM sponsored riders who refused to go with the “no chain device ever needed” thing.

Still, less chain device is almost as good as no chain device- I’m thinking dirty thoughts about trying just a top guide, saint shadow+ and fancy chainring on the 224. If I ever get the thing finished.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

One made from 7071 as the soft ally ones wear quite fast. I managed to snap a lovely laser etched Raceface so have replaced that with the slightly thicker Hope.

ratherbeintobago

Anyone running a BECD One Key oval ring with 1×10?

rossp
    Free Member

yeah I have run a onekey one, works well, even with full chain device, also have a 36t one with not much use up for sale, email rossphelps@gmail.com if your interested!

ratherbeintobago

Ross, if you’d had a 34 I might have taken you up on that; don’t think I’ve got the legs for a 36 given the local hills…

rossp
    Free Member

remember that you size up 1/2 when going to a onekey ring! i’ve been riding it round the peak district and not had any problems!

Brother_Will
    Free Member

These Velosolo chainrings are nice and quite reasonably priced http://www.velosolo.co.uk/vsmtbringano.html

si-wilson
    Free Member

Has anyone used a middleburn UNO 1×10 without a top guide with any success?

663sqd
    Free Member

Hope or e13

grtdkad

Si
    I have the bits in a box here ready for my 1×10 build.
    Middleburn UNO 32T mated to sram XX shifters for a bit of quality….just need my frame to make an appearance !

Will let you know how it goes

Looking for ideas for a nice chain retainer now

tpbiker
    Free Member

i’m about to convert my blue pig to 1×10. All I planned to do was fit the superstar chain guide and use my existing ring. Am I thinking that I need a specific chain ring as well?

Northwind

It’s helpful- it’ll hold the chain on better. But it’s not essential, just helpful

schmiken

ratherbeintobago – Member
    Anyone running a BECD One Key oval ring with 1×10?

I do on my race bike. Needed a little bit of work with a file to ensure no chainsuck at all, and it worked brilliantly at Sherwood.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What 1×9/1×10 chainring.’ is closed to new replies.