Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What 160mm trail/jumpy bike?
  • flange
    Free Member

Righty, not a big one for ‘What bike for…’ threads but before I press the add-to-cart button I’m after some suggestions.

Currently I have a Canfield which is great at riding downhill very fast. But its quite heavy (38lbs) and it doesn’t pedal up hills very well (as you’d imagine). Its also a bit on the small side for me – great for DH but its a bit short in the toptube. My riding will be split between trail centres, Enduro DH series and some trips to either Canada or abroad but also some fairly heavy free-ridey sessions in my local quarry. So it needs to be strong but also reasonably light. Does this bike exist? £3k is my absolute limit price wise.

I’m thinking either Lapierre Spicy or Orange Alpine but there must be others out there? I definitely want a bolt through fork, and possibly a bolt through rear. Am open on the suggestion of either double and bash or 1×9/10

Any ideas?

flange
    Free Member

Oh, and I’ve got an XC hardtail for racing/fast xc stuff so it doesn’t need to do any of that malarkey!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Loads of bikes that fit the brief. For example a Transition Covert or a Mythic Rune could easily be built up nicely for 3k. Notice that wiggle are doing cheap Intense Tracers at the moment too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Specialized sx or something like that I guess.

flange
    Free Member

Do they still do the SX?

Also, ideally I’d want to just buy a complete new bike, rather than building something up myself mainly because if something goes wrong I can just take it back and let the shop sort it. Lazy – oh yes!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pretty sure they still do the SX and it’ll be a solid performer cos its a specialized.

Also, a Giant Reign X or Cube make one but I cant remember what its called.

Things like the Spicy and Orange Alpine are probably more trail riding orientated, whereas an SX or Reign would be more suitable for the DH and freeride side of things perhaps.

saxabar
    Free Member

I have an Alpine with double and bash. I use it for trips abroad, ‘DH-lite’, playing in the woods and pratting around in quarries. I test rode a Spicy and preferred the burliness of the Orange. The Transition looks ace and if you I’d certainly demo one of those. I don’t know how they are on climbing though and while you won’t be winning races, the Alpine climbs well.

polodingalong
    Free Member

Shameless plug but I am about to be selling a new one of these with domains instead of 36s for very cheap. Would certainly leave you plenty left over in the budget for some shiny parts.

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b70s1p4986&rs=gb

Interested drop me an email through my profile.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

occasional contributor Trimix bought a transition covert after demoing several bikes of that type, and having seen it I am surprised how inexpensive it is for a quality niche US frame.

Cheaper than the ubiquitous Orange, 1300 for the frame but I assume most shops will supply it as a bike built to your spec.

http://www.noahsark.co.uk/transition-bikes-covert-p-4239.html

rj
    Free Member

I don’t think Specialized are bringing the SX Trail into the UK this year (I’ll probably be corrected in a minute by someone who knows what they’re talking about). The Alpine 160 would seem to tick all the boxes, although the Orange Blood is worth a look too.

kevj
    Free Member

I have been looking at Cube for a while and could not decide between the Stereo (140mm) or the Sting (only 120mm but lighter) but the rear shock position always niggled in the back of my mind.
    Now, I am planning to get one of these in anodised black;

Canyon ESX 9.0 SL

^^^ Not the best picture but I love the frame and upward stroke shock design.

Bregante

Nukeproof Mega has to be worth a look too

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

:WAVES:

hello flange

looking at similar spec bikes myself after the SX went the way of the tax bill.

Thought i’d plumped for the Tomac Vanish until i spotted something in the classifieds that caught my eye.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46084

It appealed to me as i’m not really a fan of all these bendy tubed frames you get nowadays.

plus it’s a Tomac. :LEGEND:

It’d look well mean leaning up against the bench outside MaccyDs in MK as well

hows you and the family?

still got a spine made of liquorice boot laces?

flange
    Free Member

Those Canyons are MEGA value for money – Hammershmidt + reverb for £2500! Are there any reviews kicking about?

I’m very well MMW – spin is still pretty much wrecked hence the need for a big bike. Did you get the tomac then, whats it like?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

crc sold out of mediums before i plucked up the courage.

i’m not a big one on bothering with lots of test rides and having owned a few different suspension systems i’m pretty convinced if the geometry suits me then i’ll get used to the suspension so i was happy to buy before ride as it were.

now looking at a titus on the classifieds

Parr
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.mdebikes.com you can have it altered at order, HA, different, shock’s, different dropouts, defo not an off the peg bike.
    Single pivot & I-links available all handmade in Italy and now demo bikes in the UK

mrblobby
    Free Member

Parr, where are MDE demo’s to be found?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Definitely worth a look at the Nukeproof Mega I think. It’s what I’m looking at for guiding on after having a spin on Nigel Page’s on last month.

Edit: just to say that Nigel’s still looked and felt mint and he is obviously doing quite a lot of jumpy type stuff on it. Obviously he’s ‘quite’ a smooth rider though. http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/?p=1356

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s what I’m looking at for guiding on after having a spin on Nigel Page’s on last month.

Oooooh get you with the name dropping 😛

OP were you looking for a bike to replace the Canfield and still do everything else that you wanted it to or something in addition to the Canfield?

DT78
    Free Member

I had a ride on a transition double yesterday I was really really impressed. Not got massive travel and not marketed as a trail bike, but definitely capable of being a jumpy trail bike imo if you have a long post, and go for a lightish build. I think my mates was around 30lb and almost felt as quick on the ups as my charge duster.

So much so it’s made my mind up to sell a few bits to buy one.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Just adding to what has already been said – Transition Covert all day or maybe Nukeproof Mega (I have only felt these, not ridden them!). As you mentioned though, nowt wrong with a Spicy.

popstar
    Free Member

IMO Spicy would serve OP well. But if going for budget then at £1750 YT-Industries Noton.

Amen.

Kasperthecourier
    Free Member

Intense slopestyle? A bit pricey but if you consider a well kept secondhand. My mate just got one and it seems a lot more capable than my own Nomad.

flange
    Free Member

geetee – this is to replace the Canfield. I’d love to keep them both but its having the time to use them. Obviously it’ll be a bit of a compromise on the Lucky, but if it means I can pedal it around a trail centre then I’m happy enough with that.

Can’t get over the price of those Canyons, PROPER cheap!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What 160mm trail/jumpy bike?’ is closed to new replies.