Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What 1.5 headset
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Need to get a headset for a new frame that has a full 1.5 inh head tube.
    I’ll be running 1.125 forks in the frame and possibly tapered in the future.

Looking at Christopher King or Cane Creek.

Any other good headsets that are worth getting over either of these?

Chris king would be either the devolution or the inset 5( I already have a king crown race that will fit a 1.125 steerer tube)

Has anyone any experience with any of Chris’s inset headsets?

Never tried came creek so would be interested to hear people’s opinions on these.

qtip

Hope also do a step down headset. Not used it but have their 1.125″ headsets on all my frames which have lasted for years without any servicing.

twohats
    Free Member

I have a King inset 5 running 1?, early days yet but past experience of King means it should be fine.
    Regular king 1.5 headsets are plain ugly.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

If you decide to go for the Chris King, I have the following parts for sale:

Chris King preloader

Chris King reducer crown race – allowing you to run 1 1/8″ forks with a 1.5″ headset

Chris King top cap & bolt – 1 1/8″ in Pewter.

Alan.

hambl90
    Free Member

Take a look at the hope mix and match offerings

iridebikes
    Free Member

Across headsets are very very good quality and value. Look them up on the net, then search for mountain mania in tring as they are the importers. I dont work for them, Ive just had a few headsets, an never even needed to touch them.

jonnyrockymountain

King in my experience no 1
    But I bought a nukeproof one for my Cannondale very good quality and still silky smooth 12 month in and very reasonable (crc)

iffoverload
    Free Member

+1 for the nukeproof, but i would have got a hope if they still made the trad stepdown..

matlockmeat
    Free Member

twohats – Member
    I have a King inset 5 running 1?, early days yet but past experience of King means it should be fine.
    Regular king 1.5 headsets are plain ugly.
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Thanks for the info. Am I correct in thinking the bottom cup is a standard external 1.5 affair as in the same as the standard king headset? With the only difference being the crown race.

The the top cup is the inset one?

I’d prefer a proper external lower cup incase I change to tapered forks.

flyingfox
    Free Member

We use Hope in the shop as a standard. They work and you can get a good mix that fits anything. Worth it.

Northwind

I used Hope, very good.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What 1.5 headset’ is closed to new replies.