Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What 140mm-160mm 26" HT frame?
  • matther01
    Free Member

Looking for a slackish, steel HT that doesn’t weigh a ton.

Already know about Cotics, Shans, Dialled, Stanton, Curtis.

Anything else I should be considering?

Cheers

connect2

Genesis Alpitude if you’re ok with second hand

connect2

Oh, and Ragley Blue Pig

fd3chris
    Free Member

Try a Chromag Stylus or another of their range. I’ve owned a few and they are very good and rare.

chrism110
    Free Member

on one 456 0r inbred

steezysix
    Free Member

NS Surge? Definitely the most fun bike I’ve owned.

tom13
    Free Member

Dialled pa or alpine would be my choices.

br
    Free Member

I still ride my 456Ti, so that one.

Rr whatabout the carbon version?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

my BFe is up for sale this weekend (medium green)

breadcrumb

On One 456 EVO II. I really rate mine.

dannyh
    Free Member

On One 456 EVO II. I really rate mine.

Ditto here.

slimporcini
    Free Member

I concur with breadcrumbs and Dannyh. I love mine too

slimporcini
    Free Member

TryIng to get a picture up and failing miserably

darrenspink
    Free Member

Can’t beat a 456 for the price and geometry.

deviant
    Free Member

26 inch 456 in any variety is a good shout, price and geometry are hard to beat.

456 Summer Seasons still crop up on eBay, I had a 456-evo that was great etc etc…

….my only caveat would be to avoid the 650b version, for me something got ‘lost’ in making the bigger wheeled bike, the fun of my 456-evo seemed to go AWOL when I changed to a 45650b, capable bike but lost its agility and just became a steamroller….but you’re looking for a 26er anyway so that doesn’t matter.

Enjoy, I believe On-One still do a 456 with 26 inch wheels if you want brand new.

Andy-R

connect2 – Member
    Genesis Alpitude if you’re ok with second hand

I’m certainly ok with second hand…… 8)

nim

Andy – I’ll be selling a Alpitude frame soon.
    It’s the grey version & will come with hope qr seat clamp, thompson post and cane creek headset.

Thanks Nim

andyl
    Free Member

Ditch the need for steel and go carbon 456 with an angle set.

You wont get close to the weight with steel.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Ditch the need for steel and go carbon 456 with an angle set.

You wont get close to the weight with steel.

^^ This. I went from a steel 456 to a carbon one, same geo but the lighter weight makes a difference to the handling. Still cheaper than most steel frames too

Inbred456
    Free Member

I have a little used 20″ dark blue 456 frame in very very good condition fully waxoiled, used about 5 times. Even had the BB faces done for the crank. It was to slack for me plus I didn’t really have a fork that could do it justice.

dannyh
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That burgundy Alpitude is absolutely gorgeous, mind……….

Northwind

Blue Pig is a bit of a lump, superb geometry though but heavy…

When you say you want steel… Why, specifically? Thing is, a lot of folks want that “springy steel” thing and frankly a lot of steel bikes don’t have much of it, especially at the cheaper/heavier end of the spectrum- 456, Blue Pig, BFe, Evil, lots of metal in them. A Soul has the feel, but not much slackness…

On One let me down pretty badly with my C456 but it wasn’t a bad bike at all, just a bad company- I guess I’d happily have a used one with a slackset again.

Andy-R

nim – Member
    Andy – I’ll be selling a Alpitude frame soon.
    It’s the grey version & will come with hope qr seat clamp, thompson post and cane creek headset.

Thanks Nim

The one in the photo above is mine anyway, plus I’ve got another one out in Greece, the earlier white version with -1 degree headset. Thanks anyway though.

dannyh
    Free Member

When you say you want steel… Why, specifically? Thing is, a lot of folks want that “springy steel” thing and frankly a lot of steel bikes don’t have much of it, especially at the cheaper/heavier end of the spectrum- 456, Blue Pig, BFe, Evil, lots of metal in them. A Soul has the feel, but not much slackness..

Depends on what you’re coming from. My previous bike was a much thrashed Genesis Core from 2009. The one with the wildly hydroforming on virtually every tube. I loved that bike, until it snapped, but getting a 456 Evo 2 felt like night vs day to me. The core was compact, big tubed and had a totally uncompromising wooden thwack every time I hit something square edged or a bit clumsily. The 456 glides over stuff noticeably more to me, although it is is obviously still a hardtail.

Context is everything.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

NS Surge? Definitely the most fun bike I’ve owned.

This.

breadcrumb

The 456 glides over stuff noticeably more to me, although it is is obviously still a hardtail.

I’d agree, the EVO II feels far from dead. I think the revised seat stays might have a bit to do with that looking at earlier 456s. Plus seeing as On One often do the EVO II for £150 it’s a bit of a bargain.

zx1200r
    Free Member

This is mine 650B’d on Dtswiss 533d rims, 240/350hub. Had to put a 2.10 Mountain king in rear but all in with pedals weighs 27.5lbs
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/readers-rides/your-ride/q/2922141359_vdoyle150_the-shiny

P.S. Be easier to upload pics can someone explain why url’s?

Burchy1
    Free Member

This is my Alpine Mk3, really capable bike.

Another one to consider is the Santa Cruz Chameleon, i know it’s ally but if you do start to consider carbon its certainly a viable alternative. Del on here has one and it’s a very nice bit of kit.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rFS7Qg]New Alpine[/url] by burchy80, on Flickr

haggis1978

How much are you willing to spend?

sprocker
    Free Member

I am getting a ti stanton switchback, really slack, light and awesome to ride but pricey though.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’d agree, the EVO II feels far from dead. I think the revised seat stays might have a bit to do with that looking at earlier 456s. Plus seeing as On One often do the EVO II for £150 it’s a bit of a bargain.

Yep, getting rid of the stovepipe at the top of the seatstays is what I’d put my money as well.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

A Nukeproof Scout would be dropped down to about the same height as a Whyte by sticking 26 inch wheels on it….

nickc

reggiegasket, how much are you after for your Bfe? Pics etc?

sv

+1 for a Surge. Have also owned a Slackline and a couple of 456s.

crotchrocket
    Free Member
    yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’m splitting my Dialled alpine in Large if you are interested?

Kryton57

Yorkshire89 how much would you want for that Alpine?

Op, Commencal Meta SX for £650 new?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’m looking for £170 posted, it’s in very good condition other than a couple of the stickers are coming away, they are £13 new although I was planning on just removing them and keeping the headtube badge.

Paintwork is lovely, the photo doesn’t really do it justice.

Kryton57

You’ve already split the bike and can’t sell it whole?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

It’s still together at the minute, was planning on splitting and keeping the drivetrain spare for my main bike, but could sell the whole bike if there was interest.

Spec:
    Pike coil forks (med spring) 2007/8?
    26″ Hope pro2 / flow ex wheelset
    Deore brakes
    SLX cranks
    Raceface NW 34T
    10sp XT cassette 11-36
    Superstar nano pedals (or DMR V8’s)
    Raceface seatpost
    Spoon saddle
    Salsa seatclamp
    Bontranger stem
    Syncros bars
    Chunky Monkey Front/Minion DHF rear

Sorry for thread derailment, drop me an email if you are interested.
    csykes1989 AT hotmail.co.uk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What 140mm-160mm 26" HT frame?’ is closed to new replies.