Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What £1000 crit bike?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So as per title, looking at getting something cheap and simple to race Crits on, with a decent frame that might take a better groupset and wheels at a later date. I’ve already got a good carbon bike, so not too interested in cheap carbon.

I’ve really only got a list of 3 at the moment and I’m put off the Trek’s because they have forks with alloy steerers….

Trek Emonda ALR
    Trek Domane ALR (a bit endurance geo but I like the colour)
    Scott Speedster 10

What else have I missed?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Merida always worth a look at that price point.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

2018 Allez.

tonyg2003

Why not use the good carbon bike? I raced crits for years and always rode my best race bike.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Cannondale CAAD10 105 in the sales if you can find one, perfect for crits.

13thfloormonk

My boss has a slightly older Allez which he has stuck an Ultegra groupset and deep section Mavic wheels on. It looks awesome, for some reason the description that keeps springing to mind is ‘street fighter’, probably because it’s a 52 and matt black and aluminium, kind of gives off a bit of a bombproof but nimble look.

His weighs 8kg apparently, and the new frames/forks are reportedly 0.45kg lighter than old. I’m certainly considering one with upgraded wheels, brakes and tyres, reckon I could get it down to 8.3kg-ish with the stock 105 groupset and stock alloy bars, stem and seatpost.

JEngledow
    Free Member

How about the Cannondale CAAD 12 (it’s a little over budget, but might be able to find a deal somewhere), I know a few people who use them for racing and rave about them.

prawny

CAAD10 or 12 frame built up with expendable parts.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Why not use the good carbon bike? I raced crits for years and always rode my best race bike.

Don’t race what you can’t afford to replace.

curto80
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kinesis Aithien you could have for half that money

TiRed

CAAD10. And some light wheels to help with the accelerations.

Personally, I scored the most points on my son’s CAAD8 with Ultegra and lighter forks and wheels. The 2014 105 version was one of the very best looking bikes I’ve ever seen in the peloton.

I’d buy used. You will crash it.

Don’t worry about compact chainsets either – just fit an 11-23 cassette and you’ll be fine.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

2017 Allez Sprint?

heres mine

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^^Choice! Also available in adult sizes. ^^

fifeandy
    Free Member

2017 Allez Sprint?

Very nice.
    Think i’d leave the 808’s at home though, they don’t look nearly as nice once 10 muppets have run over them.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

You will crash it.

Unless you’re a complete chopper, crashes are very rare and bike write-offs are even rarer. Race your good bike.

Oh and even if you are a bike-wrecking chopper, carbon is repairable, aluminium isn’t.

tonyg2003

Don’t race what you can’t afford to replace?

I never do 🙂

Although I’d say that I’ve seen many much bigger and more expensive crashes in open road races than crits. Crashes in crits are usually handling errors and mainly affect the individual.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Think i’d leave the 808’s at home though, they don’t look nearly as nice once 10 muppets have run over them.

don’t race, what you cannot replace!! tbf i don’t race crits, I’ve thought about it, theres some local but my fitness is way below what it was, i live in lincs and its flat and wanted a fast road bike, which the allez certainly is,

TiRed

Unless you’re a complete chopper, crashes are very rare

😆

Are you new to this game? It’s the other choppers that one should be worried about. You will crash – it’s a case of when, not if. It probably won’t be your fault either, but crash you will.

I race a Propel SL with carbon wheels. it’s been down the road three times and seems suitably robust. It’s also run over a Colnago C60. My original Propel Advanced was brought down on is maiden race. None of these crashes were my fault in any way.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Are you new to this game? It’s the other choppers that one should be worried about

I think this is my 25th season of road and track. 4 road crashes in that time 😳

It’s always the same people who crash regularly, chopper avoidance is an oft-overlooked part of racing!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

carbon is repairable, aluminium isn’t.

OK…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OK…..

He has a point, a carbon repair will probably be considerably cheaper than buying a new aluminum frame.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Quite a bit over budget but this is a bargain: https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2017/ultimate-al-slx-9-0.html

£1429 for a very well speced bike and decent frame. No need for any future upgrades. The wheels alone go for over £450.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I do use the carbon bike, but I’m always swapping brake pads when I’m swapping out the carbon wheels to alu when I’m just going for a normal ride. So I just fancied something simple and pref with a bright paint job.

I should say I’ve already got an increasingly tatty and creaking Giant TCR SLR which i’m relegating to winter bike.

wilburt
    Free Member

I have a 2006 Allez and love it but as a crit bike I’m not sure. They could be a tad relaxed depends on your preference suppose. The sprint however was made for the job.

I bought a felt last year for about a grand sent it back because rhe headtube was too short for me but would have made an excellent crit bike. (carbon btw but as posted earlier easier to fix)

curto80
    Free Member

Nice bright orange Aithien then!

TiRed

4 road crashes in that time

Not at HiSpillingdon much then 😉

I’d second the carbon being replaceable. I have a friend racing a C60 sporting a lovely black band around the top tube where the bars crushed it in an off.

I’ve raced the nice bike for the past two weekend road races – a rider went into the back of me on a straight flat section. scraped the DA rear derailleur and a decal 🙁 . I’m replacing the shifter on the race bike for Sunday!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I do use the carbon bike, but I’m always swapping brake pads when I’m swapping out the carbon wheels to alu when I’m just going for a normal ride. So I just fancied something simple and pref with a bright paint job.

No need to listen to us naysayers, N+1 always! Bowman Palace in that case.

jonba
    Free Member

Crashes depend on what kind of racing you tend towards. Crit racing is normally worse than road racing because it is tighter and the bunch closer together. Flat road races are generally worse than hilly ones because the bunch stays together. If you are a sprinter you are more likely to be involved in an incident than if you are an escape artist who likes to get in a break.

Canyon, Rose, Boardman, Ribble would be where I’d start looking.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I used to have an orange Aithein but couldn’t justify three road bikes at that time…. Times have changed clearly!

TiRed

Indeed. I justify seven. And ride them all too.

tonyg2003

Good to try to stay to the front of the bunch too – stay out of trouble – if you are fit enough!

Biggest crashes I’ve seen are on big wide open finishes on closed circuits airfields. You’d think the extra space would help but it doesn’t

@leggblonde I seem to remember a bad self inflicted BMX crash for you??

leggyblonde
    Free Member

@tonyg2003 fair to say I’ve had plenty of big MTB and BMX crashes! Road racing (inc crits) is much safer than big jumps IME

mooman
    Free Member

onyg2003 – Member
    Crashes in crits are usually handling errors and mainly affect the individual.

Yes mainly affect the individual – but typically its others getting caught u[/quote]p in it that come off worse.
    Friend of mine had 4 nice fractures in his pelvis this week because of another riders handling errors … his bike was unscathed though.

nathb
    Free Member

Chinese carbon! Specifically “Workswell WCB-R-066” can be had for circa £400 then spec up.

Or if you’re the right size: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Workswell-R066-Carbon-Road-Bike-Frame-not-Cervelo-R5-Medium-54/253015172669?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Same geo/cable routing as a Cervelo R series frame at a much lower price. I love mine it’s been brilliant for crit racing and general riding. Ive just done over 3,400 miles on it since December….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve already got a good carbon bike

Race or. Who needs a new bike to race crits?

twisty

First lap of last crit I attempted.

[video]https://youtu.be/cQNisRbJ9u8?t=3m45s[/video]

I was at the back and managed to avoid the crash, video doesn’t really do it justice was about 20 bikes in the pile up, wheel bouncing down the road etc.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I don’t need a new bike for racing Crits. Maybe I just want a new bike – a fast training bike that I can use in crits. So basically not something comfort orientated with endurance geometry

It’s probably really just N+1 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What £1000 crit bike?’ is closed to new replies.