Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • What ‘mountain bike’ did you ride in the 70s?
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

My jump bike was some old gents frame. To “improve” it we grafted in froks from a NSU moped. Well it sort of had suspension and a super tough wheel. Who cared about brakes. It eventually had a Choper rea wheel added as well. Suspect it was shite. The forks were added after the originals repatedly bent on landing and the front tyre kept jamming under the crown. When they broke they were swapped out.To this day I am damn positive that I had the mates record length jump. 21feet from a slight downhill run, off a car bonnet on 2 breeze blocks ramp. Can’t believe that now but that figure has always been really clear and I know we measured jumps all the time.

juiced
    Free Member

i had a mini Chopper called a Chipper and then a simialr bike called a Joker, which kind of sounds appropriate for me 🙂
    I then purchased a second hand bmx as soon as i could!!! It was a bit big and I remember falling off on my test ride, in front an older bmx club racer I purchased it from 🙄 The memory of that purchase is very intense has stayed with me to be cherised.

Lovely thread. 😀

rossi46
    Free Member

I had a mini Chopper called a Tomahawk- it had no gears but looked like it did. My grandad rescued it from a skip and done it up for me. It was a rustbucket.
    Then some kid at school challenged me to a downhill race down our local hill. On road not offroad. I was in the lead and feeling like Graham Hill until i had to stop at the bottom. I realised my brakes were crap and did nothing to slow me down.
    Having no time to react i whacked over the kerb and went straight through Daniel Drivers front garden wall. Solid brick it was. I lay in a cloud of brick dust for a few seconds before his parents came out of the house and handed me my front wheel (still attatched to the forks and headtube).
    ‘Is this yours’ they said…….
    Glory days! And i still won the race!

Klunk
    Free Member

thinking back, there was some pretty crap bike tech. walloping the crap out of cotter pins until the thread was rounded off and useless was fun :-). Don’t think i ever had a full set of bearings in the headset. Chromed rims wire wool & brasso !!!

ThePilot
    Free Member

I had a racer but I wanted a BMX so I put Grifter handlebars on my racer.
    It kind of worked.
    I’d forgotten we used to call the Scramblers. Made me laugh!

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

Another Grifter. But I used the flashy light control sticker from my Star Wars Imperial Troop Transporter on the recessed bits in the foam handlebar cover, for that space age look XD.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Another Grifter here.

Started off that horrible ‘steel blue’ colour but soon modded with sliver and gold metallic paint, bright yellow BMX-style grips and a paper clip stuck through the monkey chain to keep it in the middle gear! 😆

Cotter pins???? whoever thought that was an acceptable way to fix the cranks on? I remember stopping every mile or so to **** the things with a rock!

thepodge
    Free Member

Looks like a speedway bike to me

samuri
    Free Member

Ours were called trackers.
    Mostly as above though. Racer frame, double rimmed wheels, cyclocross tyres, BMX headset, motorbike handlebars, singlespeed. I had mine for years, ace bike. We were riding (although I seem to remember quite a lot of pushing too) them on the same trails that mountainbikers use nowadays.

Cut down jeans, can of coke in the back pocket for a drink. Jumps, wheelies, skids. All the same stuff we do now.

OCB
    Free Member

Same as most people, Puch 10spd racer, with flipped drops, then cowhorns and stem mounted levers somehow. Also referred to as ‘scramblers’. Back in the 70’s my mum used to take me to all the local MX scrambles, and I guess the name came from there as I got home and imagination kicked in.

I think I’d quite like that frame again, or at least a look at it – I could be mis-remembering it, but thinking back now, I have a sense that it was actually quite a nice frame.

samuri:
    Jumps, wheelies, skids. All the same stuff we do now.

Yeah, funny how it’s not [really] changed eh?
    Mine was mostly used for popping around to to your mates houses on, riding down the park over a few bricks and an old plank for jumps, or thrashing through the woods on … (I don’t make that kinda ‘brrrrrr’ type engine noise now, like I did back then, (although it’s not absolutely unknown if the mood takes me and the track really calls out for it 😛 )).

elaineanne
    Free Member

a chopper bike with clunky gears lol

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Great thread 🙂

A Raleigh Jeep

grahamh
    Free Member

I was riding a single speed, fixed wheel..
    I think they called them “Track Bikes” 😀

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

I had a purple chopper 😳 That i hand painted black and gold ala JPS F1 cars, I also liked to have a “Hamlet” as well….

7hz
    Free Member

First I had a Raleigh Tomahawk

Then a Grifter

Yes, cotter pins, handlebar clamps, and breaks were crap. Dodgy chroming.

Seem to remember the term ‘scramblers’ as well, rings a bell. Someone needs to resurrect the term. Cotic Scrambler…

iDave
    Free Member

I had a 5 speed racer with moped forks and front wheel with drum brakes and a tractor steering wheel 😯

Ticklinjock

Raleigh Jeep here too. Mine had a blue frame. A steel framed, rigid singlespeed. How things go round!
    And our mountains were coal bings (slag heaps).

shortcut

I was on a grifter with a series of forks and bars!

Keva
    Free Member

Raleigh Chico, scrambling and jumps in the woods. great fun, happy days.

pretty sure it was very similar to that raleigh jeep ^^ up there ^^ maybe smaller, definitely the same colour.

Kev

Alcopop
    Free Member

I had a grifter with the magical disintegrating seat

but always lusted after a Raleigh Vector

off road tastic

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

had a Raleigh Chipper (smaller singlespeed Chopper) that my dad bought second hand, had sprayed purple and added my initials instead of the head badge.
    Then I can’t remember what it was other than a very lovely green, cruiser type with white wall tyres and white grips, and North Road type bars -I loved that bike and can remember many days riding through local woods and trails on it.

anto164
    Free Member

I wasn’t even born in the 70s!

robnorthcott
    Free Member

I did some early off-roading (may have been early 80s rather than 70s) on an old heavy ladies bike that I’d been given to play around with. A mate and I grafted a chainring onto the back wheel (bolted it through the spokes with blocks of wood) to make a 1:1 geared fixed wheel. We reckoned we could go anywhere on it – hours of fun ploughing though undergrowth in the local woods.

That bike eventually met its maker when the chain flew off while whizzing down a hill with feet on the (step-through) frame. Locked the wheel solid and wore right through the tyre before it stopped. Didn’t fall off though, but we could never be bothered to find another tyre for the odd-size “policeman’s bike” rim (the rear spokes weren’t too healthy either).

Didn’t call it a mountain bike though – I’d never heard of them until the mid 80s when a rich kid at school had one built by Overburys.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Some sort of gold hand painted bike with solid beige tyres and handling that went all wobbly at speed (faster than 6mph). I was six, it was the first thing I ever rode without stabilizers. By 1981 it had been replaced by a silver Raleigh Strika (sadly without the coaster brake of my mate’s otherwise identical bike). In 1983 that too was replaced by a Stratton BMX 20, with gobs of welding runoff stuck to the frame and a BB, headset and brakes that shook themselves loose.

swamp_boy

We used to call them trackers too, one LBH used to sell “five bob trackers” [25p in new money], which were basic single speeds made up from scrap parts.

From 1967 to about 1972 I had a 26″ Elswick Hopper with 3 spd Sturmey Archer hub. Mods amounted to taking off chain guard and mud guards and getting the widest tyres possible which were 1 3/8″ and not very knobbly. Started with a pair of motorcycle ace bars fitted upside down than managed to get hold of a genuine pair of motorbike scrambler bars with a brace, nearly broke the stem opening it wide enough to get them in, but I thought it looked like the dog’s dangly bits even though the bars had been bent in a crash.

Bit of a break then until mid / late 1980s when I got an MBK – massive improvement apart from the U brake mounted behind the BB – stopped you by getting clogged with mud.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Striker for me, did have a coaster brake so rear tyre didn’t last long

amodicumofgnar

I had something along the lines of analogue andy’s Raleigh except it wasnt a Raleigh and it was purple, its probably still do in one of the sheds. Used to ride it round the fields a bit. Mate had a grifter which we rode round round and round one of the woods on his folks farm – it was a tiny wood but we got a snakey down hill bit and a water splash throught the stream.

midlifecrashes

Converted my brother’s old Raleigh Flyer youth’s racer to a geared tracker by adding a touring 5 speed freewheel 14-32 and this very mech, a Suntour GT. Used a stem mount shifter without a care for my nads. Rescued the mech a few years back while giving my dad a hand clearing the garage.

epicyclo

Peugeot PX10 with tubulars. Did a 10 day offroad tour in Nth Queensland on one too.

Like this:

Pic nicked fromClassic Rendezvous

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘What ‘mountain bike’ did you ride in the 70s?’ is closed to new replies.