Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What… Slick tires on a MTB, but why!
  • drkpeak
    Free Member

I need help, not mentally, but just wanting to convert one of my bike’s into a fast commuter, not sure what slicks to fit, only temporary as will switch wheels back to knobblies for the weekends, any suggestions?

Ta

watsontony
    Free Member

maxxis hookworms

ads678

I’ve used schwalbe city jets before on my old 26″ HT and they seemed fast rolling but still a decent volume to fill you mtb rims.

Scapegoat

Schwalbe City Jets, 26×1.5

wwaswas

I used Schwalbe Kojaks for a while. I always think mtb’s look odd with small tyres and the Kojaks were fast but also gave a bit of puncture protection/volume.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hookworms on a big bouncy beast for street gnat shredding radnezz. 😉

watsontony
    Free Member

Bez

Schwalbe are a decent choice – IME they’re easy to fit and remove, they have good puncture protection, and they’re available with reflective sidewalls.

stumpy01

Cityjets…

I have used the 1.5 size, but I think 1.9’s are also available.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Conti sport contact 26x 1.3

Very fast

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18829

even faster is the ultra gaterskin 1.125

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ultra-gatorskin-city-mtb-tyre/

Seen a few guys turn up to popular road training ride in bristol (elites, 1st cats) on a mtb with these on

Clobber
    Free Member

None of these are fun answers! 🙄

I’ve got Schwalbe big Apples 26×2.3 which are fast and fantastic fun!

I’ve got a set going spare if you’re interested, email me. They’re only spare as I’m mainly 29er now…

chives
    Free Member

Schwalbe City Jets 1.5″ – dirt cheap and lasting well, no issues with grip, and pretty fast rolling.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yeah go for clubbers…..A 2.3 slick means you can go fast AND still ride through stuff like a MTB.

binners

Schwalbe City Jets. Go for the big fat ****-off 1.9’s instead of the 1.6 though, as you live in Salford.

My commute took me through Hulme and Moss Side. So the journey meant my City Jets were constantly run over a surface consisting entirely of broken crack pipes, discarded blood-stained Stanley knives, crumpled special brew cans, AIDS infected syringes and pieces of splintered human skull. I can’t recall getting any punctures. Which is just as well. The last place on earth you want to be stopping to change a tube, after dark, on your own is the Side of the Moss. Tyre choice here really is a matter of life and death 😉

trickydisco
    Free Member

can’t see a 2.3 ‘big’ apple being that fast?!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/schwalbe-big-apple-any-body-use-them

drkpeak
    Free Member

Cheers guys, a good spread of rubber there, will check them out, thanks Clobber for the offer, may go for something a bit thinner in profile although they will be fitted to ex500 rims which are A. Overkill for the street and B. a shit to get tires on and off!

Clobber
    Free Member

Seems your big fat 1.9’s are pretty small compared to my big apples binners….

binners

I can’t compete, but size isn’t everything big boy 😉

The 1.9s feel chunkier and more substantial, and perform really well. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm….. Or maybe I’m just used to justifying size issues like this?

hugor
    Free Member

Halo Twin Rails.

drkpeak
    Free Member

Nice one binners, I’m not in the Salford area but I know what yer sayin… Dark side of the spoon!
    Gonna pop down the LBS tonight and have a looksies, need to ride fast and loose in my neck of the woods too now and again.

Northwind

I use Marathons myself, they’re not as fast as a road bike tyre or as fat as an Apple but they’re still good.

nickc

Another vote for Hookworms. No different to any other slick, but look cool. 8)

andyfb78
    Free Member

schwalbe supermotos for fun and potholes
    schwalbe marathon racers for sensible compromise
    marathon plus for ultimate protection
    conti sports for good rolling feel.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Schwalbe supermotos in 2.3 here, roll fast, grip well, light and still feel right…. They are no slower than skinny 1.5s I had before and feel loads better

Northwind

Anyone else using Kojaks? Hadn’t noticed them before but they’re stupidly light…

theflatboy
    Free Member

I have always favoured Specialized Fat Boys for this purpose. They’re excellent, very fast and resilient.

rewski
    Free Member

marathon plus here, I actually went a step further and bought a spare set of QR wheels, it can cause chain wear and gear slip issues though.

toemul
    Free Member

As above used sport contact 1.3 with 90 psi super quick an unpopable and wear well, wot else would u need. Ah they are tight though so need some metal type tyre levers to go with em.

ratherbeintobago

Another vote for Hookworms.

You sure? I’ve a friend who’s running hookworms on his commuter because he reckons they’re bloody heavy and thus ideal for building the Thighs of Steel.

chronos
    Free Member

With Fat Franks 2.35’s Took a bit of effort to get them up to speed, but great fun, and quite fast rolling when pumped up high. Nice comfy bike this what with the CC Thudbuster and all!

Have put Kenda K-west 1.5’s on Crests now and they spin up much quicker. Not as much fun tho.

Northwind

Alright, so, Supermoto fans… I’ve used the cheap, heavy Big Apples and I liked them but they did feel sluggish. How much difference in pace/effort do you reckon there is between a Supermoto and a typical 23-or-thereabouts road tyre (Pro3s in my case?)

Cheers!

gonzy
    Free Member

i use Panaracer Mach semi slicks. they’re 1.95’s so dont look odd on an mtb. they’re super light and are pretty fast rolling especially when pumped up to 65psi. only downside is that because of the thin tyre casing
    they’re very prone to punctures!! to solve this you’d have to use puncture proof strips. i’ve toyed with the possibility of gong to a thinner tyre say a 1.5 but i’m worried they wont be wide enough to fit on my rims properly as the rims are 34mm wide. the hookworms look good though…

billytinkle
    Free Member

I’m currently using Maxxis Holy Rollers 2.2 and I like them a lot! Very gripy on tarmac and good for dry off road too, weigh in at 735g a tyre though and take 65psi max.

As for the Hookworms, they look nice, but are one of the heaviest balloon tyres around – 1250g each! Way too heavy for my liking.

Next tyres I’ll be buying for the commute will be Kenda Small Block 8’s – nice and light (2.1 is 520g) and should roll well whilst being good for trail centres, dry trails (I keep dreaming) and having fun in urban areas.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What… Slick tires on a MTB, but why!’ is closed to new replies.