Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • What’s the fastest speed you’ve ever clocked on a MTB?
  • zinaru
    Free Member

56mph on a steep road near Linlithgow decades ago. being stupid.

also, around the same time, i put a water jet on my front tyre to see how fast my computer could record… hit 79mph then the screen when blank never to be revived.

never much faster than 35mph in these days of responsibility.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

56mph down a fireroad near the Marin Trail.

That was quite a number of years ago, not sure I’d want to do it again!

Painey
    Free Member

So I tried this a couple of summers ago, and although going flat out, I didn’t get anywhere near 50

I’ve found if you follow the actual bridleway route, there’s a bit of a right right turn near the top, where it’s a bit rutted. Cut that out and start right from the fence adjacent to the road so you’re looking straight down the hill. Sprint flat out and then you’ll be going faster before you get onto the steep/straight bit. Get into a decent tuck position and you should crack 50 easily.

Been riding down that hill for years and the only things which slow you down are a headwind or if the ground is heavy going.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

43.8 at “work” a few weeks ago.

I am building a wind farm and living on site in a remote part of scotland, every so often I ride up to the wind farm for exercise. Usually my highest recorded heart rates are coming down, not going up 😯

Its twisty, loose and fast but quite wide as its the haul road up there. Doubt I’ll go much quicker as its freewheeling at that speed – not got the gears and to achieve it, Ive got to hit a series of corners just right.

Dickyboy

tarmac, hardtail, 2″ hutchinson python tyres = 46.9mph according to endomondo, I recon the hill in question is good for 60mph on a road bike, not managed it myself yet, don’t quite understand the “scared myself” comments, speed never seems that scary to me & at 50yo I’m no youngster either

sparkyrhino

Crag

39.9mph down Keeper Lane if any of your South Leeds riders are in. Kept trying to top 40mph but never managed. Getting too old to try these days.

Try chipping off all the year old mud,you might get 0.1mph more

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

56mph down Ingleby Incline, about 20yrs ago. I didn’t believe my computer but one mate clocked 52 & another clocked 49. It felt bloody fast whatever it was!

wiggles
    Free Member

I hit 40mph on the way home most days, on a 90’s Raleigh MTB with almost completely useless canti brakes gets a bit scary when cars pull out on you

superfli
    Free Member

I had 49.5 mph on my mtb off road down butser hill back in the day. Fully rigid I think, but a big chain ring, bigger balls and youth! Find it hard to get past 44 now. You need the top gate open as well.

LD
    Free Member

Digging deep into the memory banks so not 100% on accuracy. Bike was a Giant Coldrock with a wired Cateye computer – much more accurate than this new fangled gps nonsense!
    On road, descent from Ben Lawers visitor centre 46 mph, then emergency stop due to sheep wandering onto road!
    Off road was a forest track in Glen Affric 49mph, then another emergency stop as I tried not to hit a gate which I knew was there. Slid into it sideways which was quite memorable.
    Also got 40 something with brakes and transmission all frozen after a sledging trip up the Campsies – oh to be young and carefree again.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Fastest recorded offroad – 44.2 mph down Eyam Quarry on my Orange C16 back in the day.

About 5 years ago I cleared the entire length of the Pic Blanc glacier section of the MegAvalanche feet up, clipped in, during practice (first thing in the morning, freshly piste bashed). No idea how fast I was going but it was absof****lutely terrifyingly quick, even behind a full face and goggles. I knew that if I even thought about trying to brake it would go awfully bad awfully quick.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m going to get LittleMissMC (aged 8.5) her own log in as she has told EVERYBODY that she hit 20.3mph at the weekend!

hanchurch
    Free Member

56mph on a 1999 Merlin malt 2 with rim brakes back I the day, it felt fast too.

transporter13
    Free Member

I towed a mate on his dh bike from a local offroader centre after he’d fell off into a proper muddy puddle and was brown all over…i refused to let him in the car….im not proud of it in retrospect but we did reach speeds in excess of 60mph..(he was wearing more than suitable safety gear)

simmy
    Free Member

MTB on road – 47 mph coming back form Rivington down Chorley old rd towards McDonalds about midnight, went across the roundabout and nearly lost it.

Off Road – 30 mph somewhere above Settle last summer.

ferrals
    Free Member

The fastest I remember was 53mph measured on one of those old cycle computers, on road (steep hill off the back of qecp towards buriton) when I was a kid. Nowadays 50kmh is my limit (on and off road).

Crag
    Free Member

sparkyrhino – Member

Crag

39.9mph down Keeper Lane if any of your South Leeds riders are in. Kept trying to top 40mph but never managed. Getting too old to try these days.

Try chipping off all the year old mud,you might get 0.1mph more

Most of that is older than a year Sparky, and it’s only that which holds the bike together 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

Not as fast 55kmh down a local country road here. Pot holes like you have never seen weaving between them. Including a bunny hope over a big one I misjudged and ended up lined up for the middle of. Si
    Speedy silliness is mint

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

In 1996 on a fully rigid mtb I did 46mph down what is now the Strava segment “roller coaster 2” in Bow Brickhill woods.
    I managed 51mph on the same bike down Ditchling Beacon while doing the London to Btighton charity ride. Now I am an old fart with 4 kids I am much more cautious but regularly get over 30mph on the Landrover tracks coming down of the grouse moors here in Aberdeenshire. Were bikes in the 90’s faster or was it the exuberance of youth?

markrh
    Free Member

62mph on the A9 dropping down the into Inverness on a Orange p7 with tri bars on & slick road tyres.

tandemwarriors

53mph on the rigid Clockwork. Where the southern end of the Roych Clough track emerges onto the road to Rushup/Winnat’s Pass there’s a wee road dead opposite – Rushup Lane. Straight as a die and drops steeply downhill. I remember 3 or 4 of us together, all tucked down and praying nowt came the other way.
    I suspect you may have been one of them JonEdwards, and I suspect Paul@Cotic was the other.
    Happy days 🙂
    Rob

bamboo
    Free Member

72mph at thetford in the granny gear.

mboy
    Free Member

52.1mph on the descent into Champery on the 2012 PPdS

Same stretch of trail, same top speed (give or take the 0.1!) for me too! Was a good few years earlier mind…

52mph off-road is quite frankly, really effing scary I found, especially when you realise just how on the ragged edge the bike was all the way down the trail, and that body armour will only do so much if you come off! Would bottle it at those speeds off-road these days.

Hit 50mph on my road bike end of last summer for the first time. Much less drama, but equally satisfying! 🙂

samunkim
    Free Member

This at the 42 mile mark was like falling of a cliff

Linky

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘What’s the fastest speed you’ve ever clocked on a MTB?’ is closed to new replies.