Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • What’s the fastest speed you’ve ever clocked on a MTB?
  • jekkyl

We were out on Saturday, lovely warm evening and we ended with this fantastic steep hill that starts off as rubble, which turns to big stones and dirt, which turns to tarmac and it’s at this point that it goes crazy steep for over another mile. It’s just a farm track so never has any traffic on so you can really give it beans, it’s great fun and provided a fantastic ending to the ride, we both arrived at the bottom grinning like loons. With my friend on Saturday I clocked it at 34mph so went back by myself last night and clocked in at 36mph, which I was pretty chuffed at. This was on a 26” wheeled HT with 2.3 knobbly tyres and my a**e off the back like Pantani descending. Still didn’t get KOM, came 8th! Obviously need to go back with clown wheels.

What’s fastest speed you’ve ever clocked unaided (not drafting) on a MTB? And what were the circumstances?

leftyboy
    Free Member

My Garmin clocked me at 39.2 mph on tarmac on part of the SDW on Sat, was following a couple of riding buddies but not close enough to be drafting. The 4×4 pulling a trailer that was as wide as the singletrack road coming around a corner was fun though!

wombat

42 mph, Maxxis Advantage front & rear, Sutton Bank on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors (going downhill 😉 )

Top speed reached in the steep section just after the hairpin right-hander.

Bloomin scary in hindsight.

Cars get very close very quickly….. 😯

justinbieber

I hit about 56mph on my old Kona Hei Hei back when I was 17. A dead straight and pretty steep road, with a slight rise at the end to slow you down. I pedalled into it full pelt with a 44t big ring then tucked and held on. I dread to think of the road rash I’d have got if it had all gone wrong!

mintimperial

Garmin tells me I hit 79kmph/49mph whilst riding the CVMBC the other week, also on a 26er with knobblies on it (on tarmac, obviously!). The year before I only managed 78.7kmph on the same bit, I’m getting faster in me old age… 🙂

(I don’t know how accurate that is, by the way, it is a fast bit of road though.)

batman11
    Free Member

The big grass hill opposite queen Elizabeth country park near Portsmouth in 98, my cat eye computer clocked it at 53.4 mph even allowing ruffle – 10/15% it’s about 45/48 mph and that was on an old school orange P7 with pace rc36 forks.
    No way I’d do that now 😯 😆

oliverracing

Last year when cycling to Slovenia I did 70kmh with a trailer, which was scary as it had a speed wobble between 52 and 54kmhm, and slowing down with 160mm rotors was interesting. I have also hit 78kmh on a BSO in Switzerland about 5 years back, when I went to slow down for a corner I melted the rim brake pads and tyres (rear tyre went as I got to about 15mph so I bailed into the bushes)

jamesfts
    Free Member

We could crack the 90kph mark on GPS coming straight down the piste in Les Gets, aero tucked on dh bikes.

robdob
    Free Member

I got 50mph on a gravel track in the Dark Peak once. Still trying to beat it! I don’t understand this small chainring stuff, I need big gears!!!

whitestone
    Free Member

On my MTB, got to 64kph (40mph) dropping off Black Park towards Barden Tower near Skipton. Not sure what my fastest off-road is, probably not very high.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Drum mountain so off road.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Probably mid 40’s.

MTB feels a lot less stable than road bikes at speed. Quite happy doing 60+ on a road bike, but no way on an mtb

Milkie
    Free Member

44mph many moons ago on a Zaskar LE and yes it had purple anodised stuff. 8) Did that quite often, with canti brakes and no helmet, no chance I would even attempt it now, especially on “that” hill. 😯

As for off-road, no idea, but I was pretty happy to hit just under 30mph on Veni Vedi Veci on my Hardtail (2:17).

flyingmonkeycorps

According to Strava (when I used it) 42.5 mph offroad. In the Wolds no less.

bearnecessities

52mph.

GT talera with a 52t. Some purple stuff.

Hill going past Dartmouth Naval College.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Low 40’s, 42 or 43mph to be exact. Twice, both on-road. Once coming down a steep mountain road on the other side of “seven mile climb” just outside of Brecon (I don’t know the name of the road) heading towards Cardiff on a charity ride.

Almost exactly the same speed coming down the road from Avoriaz to Morzine.

I’m convinced if there’s a terminal velocity for me/my bike then 42.5mph is it, as steep and as long as those roads were – I just seemed to stop accelerating how ever much I tucked, both times I wish I was wearing leathers.

nickc

Low-mid forties going into High Wycombe on Desborough Avenue into town.

tops5
    Free Member

40mph off road in the Clwyds

43mph, heading back towards Wrexham station after a day at Llandegla. The road from Gwynfryn towards the dairy/Fiveways junction seems best to produce the highest speeds, having a long straight section with good visibility and few junctions, although the road is pretty steep the whole way back. The steepest section is closer to Wrexham but it turns into a 30mph zone with junctions and residential areas so it’s not very clever to be going fast there.

Usually get high 30s mph but depending on the wind/how tired I am I can sometimes breach 40mph, best of 43mph. Feels fast enough.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

51mph somewhere in Yorkshire about 20 years ago (mtb on a road). Overtook four cars and didn’t dare brake. I spoke to a track cyclist at Manchester a few years ago and he said falling off on the road is like jumping out of a car naked at 40mph… I really don’t want to find that out for myself.

Crag
    Free Member

39.9mph down Keeper Lane if any of your South Leeds riders are in. Kept trying to top 40mph but never managed. Getting too old to try these days.

leftyboy
    Free Member

@batman11 That’s Butser Hill which we went down on Sat at the end of our ride, hit 30.3 mph but was on the brakes most of the way as there were lots of walkers with dogs. Have hit more than 40 down there so next time we do it during the summer solstice ride we do I’m hoping to record over 40mph on the garmin 🙂

FYI Butser Hill is a chalk hill and one of the highest points in Hampshire. It is also the highest point on the chalk ridge of the South Downs and the second highest point in the South Downs National Park after Blackdown in the Western Weald.

kcal

Back in the day — late 80s I would guess – down a tarmac road in the Pentlands, I seem to recall when folk checked their bike computers at the bottom (no way was anyone looking on way down) – think it was in the 40s – 44, 47 or thereby..

Later on holiday, down off Buttertubs Pass into towards Hawes, would easily hit 40 and I’m sure you folks will hit a lot more than that..

andytherocketeer

actually that’s my 2nd fastest, but is all I have evidence for

sandwicheater

55mph on a MTB tandem with road slicks. Think we could have done better as had to slow down for a car that we caught up.

jekkyl

327 kilometers per hour = 203.18838 miles per hour!!

You’re kidding andytherocketeer? or is your forum handle correct? If that speed is correct you’re a world record holder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_records
    gives cycling speed record as 268 km/h (167 mph)

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was on the CX bike when I took the video but I’ve done the same (and faster) on the MTB.

[video]https://vimeo.com/126357009[/video]

stumpy01

53mph down a very steep hill in Bavaria while I was over there on a work placement, as recorded by a Cateye wired cycle computer.

A girl I was over there with used to go to football training at a nearby village. The pitch was at the top of the hill that I could barely get up in my granny ring & while watching training one evening I figured it would make a decent high speed attempt.

This was one a £200 Apollo Equito (first mountain bike) with cantilever brakes. I got a bit of a wobble on about halfway down and couldn’t pedal any faster than I was (I think it was a 48t ring and not sure my pedalling was actually contributing as I got near max speed).
    I didn’t have glasses on & my eyes were watering like mad.
    Scared myself enough to not try it again! I figured an attempt to go faster would probably end up with me in German A&E having gravel pulled out of various open wounds & bits of me stapled back together.

andytherocketeer

That one may have been CX bike (would need to check).
    The fastest was mach 1, but I can’t find the log, and was definitely on ye olde world hardtail with flat, narrow bars that are almost hipster fixie width.

hardcoreprawn
    Free Member

52.1mph on the descent into Champery on the 2012 PPdS

vondally
    Free Member

Mtb
    On road 46mph on a scandal 29er with cinto 2.4

Off road 37mph

Scared witless on both occasions

jacksprogis
    Free Member

48MPH on a NS Suburban down the killer mile.
    35MPH down Charity lane… Loose rock.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve clocked 50.9mph going down butser hill with a tailwind.
    Being 6’5″ and 16+st so gravity and the wind was on my side!

Edric64
    Free Member

Never hit 60 + on a road bike .Managed 59 but ive not ridden any mental Alpine stuff to try !

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Does it count if it were off road!? :-d

Guessing you’re mostly defining your max speeds on mtb by going onroad down a hill.

Well in that case I have achieved 44 mph down a short hill “on road” so a mph for every lb in bike weight.
    With a 36T ring.

Pretty sure I over took a mini cooper or reliant robin as can remember it feeling a bit odd. Not sure why…

m0rk
    Free Member

The quick bit of the Butser Segment is here – https://www.strava.com/segments/2388865?filter=overall which is the quickest place offroad round here (assuming safety is a consideration)

Quickest speed I can see on the faster bits is 91km/h – 56mph – which is believable as back in the day I used to see 48-50 on a rigid ‘mtb’ down there. Praise be 48T chainrings.

On road, back when I was stupid you could easily see high 50’s on Long Harting descent or Farlington Avenue Nr Portsmouth before they put the fun spoilers on it.

Painey
    Free Member

55.5mph on Devil’s Dyke outside Brighton. Which is a big, steep, straight hill so not exactly hard. Freewheel alone and you can crack 50. Great fun, especially at night.

hazeii
    Free Member

I regularly get 48mph down Steyning Bowl (leads off the SDW at Steyning), and over 50mph on a strong-nerves day and if there’s a bit of tailwind. It’s a concrete farm track with a bit of an ‘S’ at the bottom, can always feel the frame flex steering though that flat-out.

lehutch
    Free Member

55.5mph on Devil’s Dyke outside Brighton. Which is a big, steep, straight hill so not exactly hard. Freewheel alone and you can crack 50.

So I tried this a couple of summers ago, and although going flat out, I didn’t get anywhere near 50, although it felt like it…I cant remember my top speed but it was disappointingly low, as measured on my Garmin (using GPS only not speed sensor) …

This got me wondering if the GPS speed measurement allows for the additional distance traveled when going down hill…if it didn’t then your speed would be underestimated….

M6TTF
    Free Member

54mph down a steep road into danebridge – pre 1×11. Won’t have the gears to beat it now

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘What’s the fastest speed you’ve ever clocked on a MTB?’ is closed to new replies.