Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wharncliffe or Ladybower?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

…This Saturday. Weather looks to be cold (-2 or lower) but dry. Not been to either for a while, which would *you* recommend dear forum reader?

Ladybower is definitely weatherproof with a bit of cunning route planning, I’ve no real idea how the tracks at Wharncliffe (and indeed Grenoside) stand up to the cold and rain. Ladybower would involve less descending fun, but balance that out with more pedalling = keeping warmer.

Oh what to do…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You must be looking at a different forecast to me 😯

Ladybower any day over Wharncliffe

chrisa87
    Free Member

+1

flyingmonkeycorps

Metoffice and yr.no both seem to agree more or less – Win Hill. I do very much like that area on a nice crisp cold day too.

I also like Wharncliffe!

fatboyjon

+1

+1 more here

ads678

Warncliffe when it’s frozen is fantastic, tons of grip. I love it there on those frozen sunny mornings when no one else is about. Grenoside should be fine as well.

Not been to the peaks for a while though.

flyingmonkeycorps

That was what I was thinking ads, but wondering if after the rain we’ve had (assuming there’s been lots there!) if it might just be a bit boggy rather than nicely frozen

ads678

Yeah could be, I’ve been down there for a few weeks so not sure what it’s like at the moment. I’m not gnarly enough for warncliffe when it’s too boggy!!

Greno stands up to the wet better though.

hora
    Free Member

Around Ladybower isnt fun at the moment. Its muddy/deep tracks but every descent under the trees is covered in thick leaf mulch making all descents like a smooth carpet.

emmodd
    Free Member

Wharncliffe is very soggy on the flatter bits. The hills tend to drain pretty well though so whilst wet, they aren’t axle deep in mud. I was there last week and though I got filthy, it was lots of fun.

flyingmonkeycorps

Hmm, we did Ladybower a few weeks ago and I agree with you about the mulch, Hagg Farm Switchbacks and Fluffy Kittens were a bit heart-in-mouth trying to pick lines at points. Suicide / Gores was good, but I think that’s ‘cos I just throw line choice to the wind, point the bike down and hang on.

Might stick to Wharny, the Greno tracks should be fine and the easier DH stuff should be ok. Maybe.

*edit* Filthy is fine, just not a fan of boggy slogs!

christhetall
    Free Member

Was around Ladybower last weekend

Hathersage, Bradwell, Castleton, Broken Road, Mam Tor, Hollins Cross, Edale, Jaggers Clough, Potato Alley, up the Tarmac, past Lockerbroke and back via Fairholmes.

Entirely rideable and not that much mud. Jaggers completely dry (apart from the ford), some slippy bits on Mam Tor and a couple of deep puddles around the top of Potato Alley.

Highlight was the Lockerbroke descent, much drier than I expected and a glorious carpet of pine needles.

nosedive
    Free Member

i did ladybower last thursday. wharnecliffe last sunday. both were in decent nick for the time of year. wharnecliffe xc track was boggy but then most people dont really go to wharnecliffe for xc

purser_mark
    Free Member

Ladybower and surrounding was fine last weekend, a nice layer of pine needles for extra grip. A bit sticky in places but made for a great autumn ride. I reckon there has been 2 days or so of rain this week though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wharncliffe or Ladybower?’ is closed to new replies.