Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Wharncliffe = Motorbikes
  • bikeind
    Free Member

Riding at Wharncliffe again on Saturday only to find 10 yobbos flying up and down all the downhill tracks and tearing them up to smithereens!

I thought i would try and intervene in telling them about the mess they had created only to find abuse off of them
    such a shame 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Call the Police

bikeind
    Free Member

Dispicable behaviour by them
    I walked down one of the tracks and there was nothing left of it after they had been down it!

Cannot see the police being able to stop this

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you call them when they are there they can come out. If caught then they get a warning, second offence the bike gets confiscated (or how it used to be I think) also the bikes will get checked over if they are on the road. Or you could just do nothing and post on here as it will definatley achieve nothing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What’s the status of warncliff? maybe local authority might get involved. having said that, plod were really good last time I reported motorbikes on the fields near us. although private land, due to footpaths, it was deemed a public place so coppers stepped in. it’s easier for them if they can nip it in the bud though.

pussywillow
    Free Member

Tbh, they’re good lads and they’ve helped carve all the nice lines that we ride down.
    Moderator edit: Insults removed

thepodge
    Free Member

I suspect there will be more of this as more rights of way get closed

I’m not 100% sure but I think they have as much legal right to ride the woods as there is to cycle the woods, none

klumpy
    Free Member

I’m not 100% sure but I think they have as much legal right to ride the woods as there is to cycle the woods, none

Possibly exactly. If this place is a forestry run MTB trail center then they shouldn’t be there. If it’s a case of “some yobs have been trespassing where we like to trespass, and have cut ruts through the bits we dug up”… Well. Make sure it’s an *anonymous* phone call to the plod!

bikeind
    Free Member

I have reported this to the police and made them aware of this.

Pussywillow yes indeed I was at uni until I came into the bike industry!!
    Your point being??
    They may be good chaps in your eyes but to me they was thugs who used foul language towards me!!!

ska-49
    Free Member

I bet your a **** student type aren’t ya??

This made me laugh. Why does education have any bearing on this? Do you live in a cave?

I’d only be worried about getting nailed by one of them on a blind corner or so. Could have been a childs face?!

steveh

pussywillow I’m not aware of any of the trails I ride in the woods having been made by anyone but folks who ride bikes.
    Motocross bikes are not allowed in the forest but cyclists are. There was a crack downa few years ago from the police on the use of motorbikes and it all died out for quite a while, guess its back now and another crack down will be needed.

If anyone sees bikes in there please report to the non emergency police number as it’ll help the FC get the police to agree to take action again.

bigyinn
    Free Member

pussywillow seems to be another troll who has found STW. 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Take photo’s on your phone synced to dropbox etc – ie instantly uploaded and recorded.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Im all for keeping trails the way they are but surely having a go at motor bikers/ crossers whatever you call them is just the same as walkers/ horseriders having a go at us ??
    TBH I dont mind them in my local woods as its just the same as us with engines but more damaging to trails
    Don’t know how you can stop this especially as there aren’t many dedicated moto x sites to be had

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TBH I dont mind them in my local woods as its just the same as us with engines but more damaging to trails

Except the bike wheel stops spinning when the traction goes, they can make a massive mess, mtb’s can too on wet trails. All about some common sense but not much about these days

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Devils advocate here but since the “crossers and trailies” have been succesfully purged from my neck of the woods at least 50% of the old (and very good) trails ha e completely overgrown and gone!
    We all have our uses IMO.

stevecrm
    Free Member

Not motorbikes but the plod were up there last Thursday checking out a bloke who thought it was wise to sit in his fully tinted banger car while blasting out tunes on his sub. I think someone must have phoned the cops, when we left after our ride they were searching his pockets and car 🙂

bikeind
    Free Member

I would seriously not like to take photo of these chaps as would likely have beaten me up!!!

simonm
    Free Member

O…there back again. Be carefull in talking to these guys. One threatend to stab a mate of mine in the neck with a screwdriver when approached.
    I’ll pass this on to Forestry as I still have a contact there.

simonm
    Free Member

Devils advocate here but since the “crossers and trailies” have been succesfully purged from my neck of the woods at least 50% of the old (and very good) trails ha e completely overgrown and gone!

Not the case at Wharncliffe..Its heavly used by riders, stunningly daft to advocate this illegal behaviour.

pussywillow
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    pussywillow seems to be another troll who has found STW.
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Why the **** would u say that??

steveh – Member
    pussywillow I’m not aware of any of the trails I ride in the woods having been made by anyone but folks who ride bikes.
    Motocross bikes are not allowed in the forest but cyclists are. There was a crack downa few years ago from the police on the use of motorbikes and it all died out for quite a while, guess its back now and another crack down will be needed.

Erm….yeah they have helped!! Perhaps your on about the xc loop, I’m on about the secret stuff! There’s too many do goodies on this site!!! 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lawmanmx – Member

WTF ? Seems to me you should get getting out there and doing some maintenance. How long does it take to cut a bit of fresh growth back ? Riding the trail will take care of the lines.

ads678

Erm….yeah they have helped!! Perhaps your on about the xc loop, I’m on about the secret stuff! There’s too many do goodies on this site!!!

He doth protest to much could he be one of the affore mentioned yobbo’s.

and it’s do gooders, not do goodies.

steveh

Erm….yeah they have helped!! Perhaps your on about the xc loop, I’m on about the secret stuff! There’s too many do goodies on this site!!!

I’m on about everything dh, xc, secret stuff. I’ aware of MX folk riding trails that exist and making a mess of them but not making trails.

alex222
    Free Member

There are the okay bunch of trails riders/enduro riders who in my opinion are fine can stay what ever. It is the scalleys on stolen bikes that are the problem. They are the ones that will threaten you. They are also unlikely to be wearing proper kit.

thepodge
    Free Member

Last time I was up there most of the xc climbs had been turned into dh runs & I got loads of abuse for riding up them.

Time before that I was told Steve Peat owns the woods & regularly rides his pit bike up there

Idiots come in all shapes & sizes

pussywillow
    Free Member

steveh – Member
    I’m on about everything dh, xc, secret stuff. I’ aware of MX folk riding trails that exist and making a mess of them but not making trails.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Yeah they have carved some nice lines in on some of the stuff, my mate helps, he rides up it a few times then u have yer line, even help with the berms, makes it a whole load easier than having to dig it up! Yeah u prob aint seem some of the stuff, some new lines, one called ball buster, proper tech, u’ll enjoy it if u like yer riding tech, it’s on strava called ball buster next to the new xc descent, originally called twist it, mint! Check it art lad! 8)

simonm
    Free Member

Hehe, makes me laff. When Forestry asked us (Singletraction / WRC) To stop building officially years ago they thought they would stop all the building 😀

I awlways wanted to build down that end of the woods, can get the longest run of the hill down there and Peaty always said the same, will take a look next time I’m up.

simonm
    Free Member

Still maintain fast motor bikes in woods that are populated by walkers, riders and cyclists should not be advocated due to the potential speed differntial and chance of an accident.

FOG

20-30 years or so ago there was a big move in off-road m/cycling towards bike parks which would be exclusively for bikes. A lot of people didn’t like the idea because they thought the powers that be would use this as an excuse to curtail existing rights of way.
    2012 and there are few if any bike parks and the RoWs have been reduced to next to nothing.
    I don’t think this will happen to MTBing but we need to keep an eye out for moves to undermine our RoWs and private eg forestry access.
    Having said all this theres no excuse for a bunch of k**** to rip round MTB trails on motor bikes. The establishment thinks they will stop illegal motorbikes in the country by removing rights of way but that will only stop the legal brigade, the idiots will continue as they always have until they get their bikes crushed which apparently is an option!

ChrisE
    Free Member

speak to the police and ask them to consider a s59 notice. this means if either the rider or the motor is caught again within 12 months it will be ceased

perhaps go speak to the police now so that everyone is primed and read for next time

C

bikeind
    Free Member

If I could stand up to the rif raf I came across I would do,but alas I am not am agressive person and weigh 9.5 stone at the most they would snap me in two if I tried to apprehend them!

That said it is certainly a beautiful part of Yorkshire and a pleasant place normally
    I only ride the xc loop normally and the fire trails

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Jambalya… I do way more than most with my folding saw spade and machette my friend, but one man can only do a fraction of what a handfull of crossers/enduros can do in one ride!

bikeind
    Free Member

i would think encouraging this caliber of people not good.

we do not need their yobbo machines tearing up our trails.

thepodge
    Free Member

Said the walker to the cyclists

bikeind
    Free Member

la plodge i walked down to study how much damage they had done.

Blower
    Free Member

you ought to get this Shredder to bed the tracks in for ya 😉 😆

[video]https://vimeo.com/41343426[/video]

null

thepodge
    Free Member

Define damage, it’s a man made forest with man made tracks that has man made machines logging it

It’s not a cosy little habitat for cyclists, bloody dog walkers have done more to wreck the place than motorbikes and the forestser is just as bad

Dig some new lines instead of whining on here about “yobbos” who dared to use foul language

simonm
    Free Member

stab you in the neck with a screw driver is a bit beyond bad language podge.

And everyone is missing the inevitable nasty accident due to the speed differential between Motor powered bikes and human powered…..

I’ve come really close to a nasty crash with a crosser climbing the legal Roman road in hope as I was descending…very very scary moment.

klumpy
    Free Member

I’ve come really close to a nasty crash with a crosser climbing the legal Roman road in hope as I was descending…very very scary moment.

You were descending slowly, of course. (You might well have been, but if you had to pick your way down, he’d be having to pick his way up.)

We like to hurl our silly little bikes down hills and get out of control, we should be careful moaning about speed.

For all this emotive and partisan sniping, if the landowner says he is or isn’t ok with any particular group, it’s their land. But some user groups might be less “allowed” and more “too hard to police”. Don’t mistake getting away with it as having a right!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Wharncliffe = Motorbikes’ is closed to new replies.