Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wharncliffe Early to mid 2000's who on here
  • discoduck
    Free Member

Was riding there then ?

Religiously, on an evening and all day Saturday and Sunday.

There was a fairly strong scene there above 10 years ago now, guys used to travel from all over to ride there, Hull, York, Manchester to name a few. A few of us were more local.

As the hill widened from the Old Diamond Back run right across to the crag run with everything inbetween being carved out and with North Shore cropping up everywhere who used to ride there and are they still riding ?

Just interested to see if there’s any chance of a re group ?

If you did what were you riding.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I used to be up there on my old Stinky then Big Hit from around 2004. Was pretty much most weekends, evenings and free weekdays.

Moved away now and gave t been back for ages.

I used to love Diamond Back and Fast Track. The run with the three big fly off jumps was ace too.

discoduck
    Free Member

I think I can vaguely remember a Kona ? Did you ride with any one else ?

jackthedog
    Free Member

I pretty much lived on that hill (particularly the middle section of the Diamondback) around that time. Usually had a spade propped up against a nearby tree.

Shonky blue jump bike, jeans and TShirt. Used to do lots of mass start DH runs down the Diamondback and Fast Track, much carnage, much fun.

Gravity Slave and Alex222 (members on here) were both on the hill around that time too.

edward2000
    Free Member

I rode there a lot in the time you mentioned. Drove up from Leicestershire! Keep meaning to go back, but the push-ups are not fun!

discoduck
    Free Member

It’s not the same, things have moved on……. Progressed !

Most of the old stuff has gone, if you stood on the take offs on some of the lines that have been carved out at the back end of Wharncliffe side towards the iron ore stream it would make your balls shrivel up !

Some of the step down over there are truly impressive, I haven’t do e them, I’ve never actually seen any one do them, but they have been ridden. There’s a lot of building work gone on up there in the past 18 months.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think I can vaguely remember a Kona ? Did you ride with any one else ?

Rode with various people, most of them on big bikes and better than me!

My Stinky was a fetching shade of gold. There was a young lad up there with an orange Stinky….he as always up there.

The Big Hit didn’t really stand out because there were loads up there. And Demo 9’s.

Rscott
    Free Member

I used to ride there not religously but at least once a month, had a keewee cromoEight with boxxer WC from about 2004 on wards. been down recently and it has changed for the better. but what i time we used to have.

matt_outandabout

It was one of the local evening pootles for me, mincing on my Sub5 then Niner EMD.

Xc nesh rather than DH free ride.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Yup, was up there quite a bit from late 90’s until 2007ish, mostly early 2000s I guess, odd bit of digging and lots of good times on too many bikes to list!

Only go on the trail bike now and ride techy loops with some descents thrown in. More riding less pushing is better use of my more limited time these days. Some old courses held up really well, testament to the builders. Love the place.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I used to knock about up there on occasion. Had a Big Hit and then a Tomac 204… Think I sold the Big Hit to a lad who rode Wharncliffe regularly too and the Tomac went to a lad in York and then I think that ended up with a Wharncliffe local too…

paule
    Free Member

I used to be there a fair but, quite often with Gravity Slave…. Used to ride a sunn radical in the late 90s, and then a Schwinn straight 8 in black/glitter gold after that, or sometimes on a trailstar or muddyfox jump bike. Not been for years, might have to rake the kids round there in the trailer and nip off for a play at some point.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There was a tomac 204 occasionaly out on UOS XC rides, that you?

Didnt ride Wharncliffe much, but did have a crush on a girl in halls who did (hannah, on a white spesh SX), I think she figured it out as I’d be the muppet spannering her bike for her!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wharncliffe Early to mid 2000's who on here’ is closed to new replies.