Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wharncliffe DH on Saturday?
  • proutster
    Free Member

Never been before, but planning a trip on Saturday – will it be sloppy, wet, mud or does it hold up well?

Will a Wetscream on the front be too much?

RobHilton
    Free Member

One of my mates rides there regularly and has recently gone for wetscreams front and back – claims they’re great. Some of the descents are seriously hard to control yourself on when wet* as they’re steep and twisty, but I don’t know that the rocky bits would be that great with them – but it’s mostly not rock 🙂

proutster
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds a bit like Macc Forest DH then – I find that I need the Wetscreams for the middle and bottom sections which are muddy and slippy at the moment, but they’re not ideal on the rockier, dryer, top section. It’s all a compromise isn’t it?

daveh
    Free Member

Don’t know about the DH runs specifically but Wharncliffe gets soggy at the merest sniff of rain. Its rained for 9 months now, I’ve never seen it as bad (7 years), even parts of the fireroads are flooded!

pussywillow
    Free Member

Yeah it’s muddy as hell, don’t bother wi grip just drift darn it plus will hone the skillz 8)

nosedive
    Free Member

wharnecliffe will be like a muddy cliff in this weather. hope you can ride!!!!

there is one track that holds up pretty well though as its rocky, it is the one that singletraction built, I think it is call fastracks or something. It has a steep rocky chute straight from the fireroad and is pure rock for the first section, that is where I head in the wet.

It is too hard to describe how to get there in text but the locals are friendly, ask for directions from anyone wearing a full face

fieldy
    Free Member

We rode it yesterday on Peaty’s Xmas ride, but he knew exactly where to take us, as you would if you’d spent half your life in there 🙂

Obviously it is muddy but I was surprised by how well it has held up, especially with 70 plus riders going over it at the same time.

We did the fastracks part, it was good, we rode it all even though we were on full sus XC bikes.

It’s in better nick than some our regular trails…

proutster
    Free Member

Thanks guys, fastracks it is for most of the day then 🙂

proutster
    Free Member

Well, I’m glad of two things:

1. I kept the Wetscream on the front, could probably have done with one on the back as well.
    2. That I went!!

Some great trails – steep, rocky, rooty, wet, muddy and bloody good fun.

It seemed almost more like trials riding rather than DH sometimes – and I’m not sure how suitable a full-on DH bike is for that – but it was also like an extended skills session, with some of my boundaries being pushed lots of times.

Well done to all of the trail-builders.

Can’t wait to go back – even more so if it stops raining 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Good isn’t it 🙂

I’d disagree with the majority, Warncliff isn’t that bad in the wet, it’s thin watery mud, and there’s plenty of rock to grip onto, either that or embrace the sliding/drifting.

there is one track that holds up pretty well though as its rocky, it is the one that singletraction built, I think it is call fastracks or something. It has a steep rocky chute straight from the fireroad and is pure rock for the first section, that is where I head in the wet.

I think you’re thinking of another one that isn’t fast track, that’s a bit further back towards the upper car park (away from the push up track) than the one with the really steep start over the rocks then goes over the built up rock gardens zig-zaging over an older track.

proutster
    Free Member

Yes, as above – loved it.

Upon reflection, I’d agree with your comments on the mud – none was sticking to our tyres at all, so that definitely helps.

or embrace the sliding/drifting

Was one of the boundaries that I pushed and it was great fun, that and convincing myself to get more weight over the front wheel to help it grip, dig-in and turn.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wharncliffe DH on Saturday?’ is closed to new replies.