Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wharncliff Saturday 25th July
  • Bludgeon
    Free Member

Hi,

I thought I'd try the Wharnclife XC loop this Saturday. I'll get there at about 12. As I'll be on my own, I wonder if any there are any others riding at that time that I could tag along with?

Ta,

Andrew.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I lived there for 4 years but never went to whooooooooo'n'cliffs, where are you meeting (i'll come up by train, anyone fancy riding over from the Art's Tower with me?)

Tracey

Was going to do it as our last ride before the Alps but with the amount of rain it has put down in the last week it will be very muddy. Going up onto Cut Gate instead as long as the rain holds off

Tracey

jackthedog
    Free Member

I'm local and always up for a spin round Wharny.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

good point

*fits HR semi-slick because he's core, not because he'll have a 20mile road ride at either end……..*

Bludgeon
    Free Member

If it's wet at Wharney I'd be up for Cut Gate. Do you have a link to the route? Not ridden the Peak District before but probably good for 20 miles.

Tracey

We park at Langsett Barn and go over to Derwent via Cut Gate, coming back we turn off and go down North America and then back up for the descent down the zig zags. It a straight forward route and hard to get lost

Tracey

thepodge
    Free Member

if the wharn ride is still on. post here, i may join you. i ride from the bottom though

jimmy

do the crag top loop if at Wharncliffe and its wet. Shooperb trail

Bludgeon
    Free Member

Podge: From the bottom? That might be interesting….. where does that start?

Weather looks fine tomorrow in Sheffield.

I'm driving up from Buckingham and I'll be there by about 11:30 (M1 traffic permitting), if anyone is about.

Where should I park for the easy loop? Woodhead Road?

Peak district ride will have to wait until 8th August.

Andrew

thepodge
    Free Member

I guess you've already set off but at the bottom right of the map there is a factory, park in there. it means i only have to climb the hill once on the loop being that i live at the bottom of the hill.

Bludgeon
    Free Member

I was given a last minute chore to do…. leaving now.

I don't know where you mean, but if you check your work email, I have sent my mobile number. Text me an address and the satnav will do the rest.

thepodge
    Free Member

hotmail or on-one?

nothing there yet.

Bludgeon
    Free Member

Well I managed to do the XC loop. It was very wet and thanks to my modest skills I found myself walking several sections – simply too rocky, rooty and muddy for me especially at the start of the loop. If it had been dry I would have probably had a go.

I took a small diversion across Wharncliffe Crags (along side the huge rocks on top?) and managed a face plant on a rock 😳 … which was nice… 😕 Teeth OK tho.

Left exhausted…..

jackthedog
    Free Member

Crikey, you drove from Buckingham? Hope it was worth the trek 🙂

I'm not online outside working hours so never revisted the thread.

I nipped up for a couple of hours yesterday – unfortunately it appears the forestry work has killed a couple of sections, and it was horrendously wet in places, so the place certainly wasn't at it's best.

Bludgeon
    Free Member

I went on to see my mum and sis etc, near Wakefield. Got a massive dinner out of it ….

I'd go again, but when it's dried out. If….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wharncliff Saturday 25th July’ is closed to new replies.