Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whacked finger / black fingernail remedies
  • organic355
    Free Member

Whacked my finger last night splitting logs. Using log grenade, got a log split except for a stringy bit in between, tried to flip the log to break the stringy bit and other half came crashing down on my finger. Bloody hurt to the point of pass-out, but didn’t.

Finger now still throbbing and fingernail nicely black.

Any remedies other than MTFU? piercing it with a hot needle doesn’t sound much fun.

flatfish
    Free Member

Hot needle/paperclip was going to be my suggestion but i would suspect the blood has congealed by now so it wouldn’t work anyhow.
    Suppose you’ll have to suck it up princess.

anjs
    Free Member

just wait for the nail to fall off by itself

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve seen workmates drill their fingernail using a 1/16th inch drill bit and a pillar drill to relieve the pressure/pain.
    I’ve had the nurse at work use the hot needle cure on me in the past, and although it hurt like ****, it was worth it to relieve the pain.

organic355
    Free Member

so does the needle thing only work straight after you have done it? i.e. is it pointless trying it tonight when I get home, 24 hours after the “incident” and the blood will be dried/congealed?

Also why is my finger so bloody hot?

steviep
    Free Member

If you get a brand new 1mm drill you can drill the nail by just turning the drill between finger and thumb and gently pressing on the nail.This way when you break through the nail it just relieves the pressure and doesnt hurt at all.

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you get a brand new 1mm drill you can drill the nail by just turning the drill between finger and thumb and gently pressing on the nail.

I’ve seen that done too, it’s got to less painful than what the nurse (I think she did her training in the SS) did to me.

In my experience the blood hadn’t congealed after a night of pain bad enough to stop me sleeping.

GW
    Free Member

just go emo and paint the other 9 black too.

duckman

GW PMSL 😀

Peyote
    Free Member

Same as Dibbs, in my experience it takes a while for the blood to congeal enough to prevent pressure relief.

I caught a fingr in between a door and frame a few years back. A night of pain and no sleep and a quick phone call to a friendly Quack who recommend the paperclip trick. I was reassured that it wouldn’t hurt because the paperclip would be cooled quickly by the nail/blood underneath before it got a chance to damage any nerves. Ten minutes later and I was holding a safety pin over the gas ring waiting for it to go red hot. MTFU and I pierced the nail. The relief was immense and there was no pain either, the nail and blood did cool it enough!

A couple of tips though, don’t use a needle or safety pin. Go for the paperclip. The larger diameter metal means that there’s a bigger hole for the pressure to be relieved out of. Also, you really don’t need to put much pressure on your nail.It’s like a hot knife through butter when the clip is red hot.

all the best Chap!

pwf1
    Free Member

I did mine a couple of days later when the pain didn’t subside and it hadn’t congealed. I used a hot 1mm drill.

If you search on the net there are lots of american sites discussing this and DIY dentisty, I guess not having the NHS means people DIY it 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I used a Dremel on mine. Pain relief on the bad finger and then polished the other 9 nails. Be careful if you do polish your mails as they get very hot, very quickly and don’t cool down for about 30 seconds after you stop polishing. Nice finish though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whacked finger / black fingernail remedies’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts