Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Whacked by car passenger, worth reporting ?
  • simmy
    Free Member

Just had a really close pass by some idiot and at first thought his mirror had caught me but then realised the passenger had pushed my right arm, probably in an attempt to push me off.

I’ve got the reg so is it worth phoning police or should I just note it down and get some bombers ?

Cheers

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Report it.

andyl
    Free Member

yup. Next time it could put someone under a bus.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

Yup, get it done

mattyfez

Certainly I’d report it if I had the reg, its assault at a minimum.

Maybe they’ll just get a talking to, but it might make the dingbat think twice in future.

simondbarnes

Report although doubtful anything will be done

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Report although doubtful anything will be done

This from experience.

nbt

Report it.

kcr
    Free Member

Yes, it is important to report things like this, but I’m sorry to agree with the others and warn you not to expect too much. I may have been unlucky, but my experience in two cases is that the police are not very interested in this sort of stuff.

andyl
    Free Member

They may not be interested but if the reg flags up a known driver with “previous” then they may use it as an excuse to go have a word and see if they can spot some other things. Or if they do it again and the result is someone gets hurt then it might be used to show intent rather than “sorry, didn’t see him”

officerfriendly
    Free Member

It honestly upsets me how some people are so horrible. Why? Just why?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Had a similar experience a few yrs back, I reported it at the time and police by chance caught up with the car, turned out to be a drink driver and no insurance.
    2yr ban and a £500 fine!
    RESULT!

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve reported it but they didn’t seem too interested until I told them I’d check the car on MID and it’s not insured.

Keeping my eye on Twitter as my local force love to brag when they seize a car for no insurance 😀

andysredmini
    Free Member

I reported someone for doing it to me. The whacked me then tried to run me over by driving at me head on twice. The police were not interested at all. My word against theirs they said.

scaredypants

I’d report it

and then I’d imagine finding my car all smashed up and with an old chainset embedded in the dashboard

burko73

I was outside my house last summer on my road bike eating to join the traffic. Bazzed up focus coming down the road, dad egging 10 yr old kid in passenger seat to do something it looked like. As they went past me the kid threw a McDonald’s bag, a big one containing the whole family’s rubbish at me, it hit me on the head, lucky I was stood still.

I ran in the house and wrote down the number. Called 101. Police attended his house, took a statement from me and he had some community order thing. Good result.

The copper said someone else locally had a can thrown at him from a car and he fell off into the traffic, near miss. Put me off road cycling a bit. Cyclists seem to some to be a legit target for random acts of violence. This is in rural hampshire. I don’t know what’s gone wrong.

kerley
    Free Member

Report it if you have the time to waste. I reported something similar, had a policeman round fro 30 minutes taking a statement had to take a few follow up calls and then they just dropped it.

I understand the police can’t go around resolving every incident with the number of people they have and the stats are pretty horrific – from memory something like 20% of reported crimes investigated and 50% of that 20% have some sort of outcome, i.e. 10% of reported crimes “resolved”

Just need a bit more honesty and tell you up front they won’t be looking into it as it is not high enough priority then as least you know where you are. Would save everyone some time.

theotherjonv

It needs reporting to build up a full picture of what goes on, and as said if several reports flag against the same car then things can be escalated.

zippykona

Would it be useful to put the reg and model of car on here so that people in your area can be wary of said motor vehicle.
    No doubt some worthy citizens can tell you where he lives so we can return his wallet if he should ever drop it.
    A random email of his front door should let him sleep easy about the safety of his wallet.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Yes report it. Injury or damage seem to be thresholds for taking things further so, whilst you shouldn’t lie, make the most of any injury what ever.

Cowman

Its sad but this is the biggest thing that puts me off a bike ride.

I’ve very regularly had abuse, rubbish and tennis balls thrown at me whilst out riding. I would say I get shouted at every other ride at the moment, most often not even words.

Its sad that I have to accept that if I want the joy of the ride on the trails, I must get the shouting and rubbish of the ride on the road.

simmy
    Free Member

As if by magic, the car appears on our local traffic polices Twitter feed having been abandoned on a main road.

Just have to look out for the idiots in another vehicle now.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I caught up one guy at the traffic lights where the passenger threw a drink at me so I punched him as hard as I could in the face and rode off.

I didn’t cycle that road for years in fear of retaliation or the police.

I was young and very stupid. I would just report it to the police.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some dick got upset that I was in his way so he blasted the horn and got agro did a silly pass of me and my mate, then my next 2 mates in front. Problem was there were a lot of traffic lights out of sync. Next set my mate with the biggest beard goes left I go to the right and point out the error of his ways, then again at the next set of lights, and the next ones…

montgomery
    Free Member

They may not be interested but if the reg flags up a known driver with “previous” then they may use it as an excuse to go have a word and see if they can spot some other things

You’d think, wouldn’t you? It’s not just the police, though, it’s also the CPS. A couple of months back my girlfriend (in her 40s) was called over to a car outside a school at 08:20, to be greeted by the sight of a guy wn@k!ng himself off. After subjecting her to foul abuse he drove off. She reported it, with the car number (doctored with tape, but close enough) and he was nabbed. Police were great, but CPS said the wn@k!ng thing was just ‘her word against his’ and they only did him on the abuse (which he admitted to).

Thing was, when we got his name, we searched and found out he’s been targeting kids and schoolgirls for years. Google ‘Jamie Roy Fowler sex offender’ and see what you get. Sentence this time? A rehabilitation order. He’ll probably get sent on an Outwards Bound holiday.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’ve very regularly had abuse, rubbish and tennis balls thrown at me whilst out riding. I would say I get shouted at every other ride at the moment, most often not even words.

Do you ride like a tosser? Where are you riding?
    Been a cyclist for over 15 years and can only think of a handful of incidents of abuse from drivers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you ride like a tosser? Where are you riding?
    Been a cyclist for over 15 years and can only think of a handful of incidents of abuse from drivers.

In one morening a mate had 1 swing at him, one lob a drink and a volly of abuse all from people heading homein Taxi’s irony as he probably spent most of his evening serving them beer.
    I’ve been sworn at repeatidly, last one was a truck driver who took objection to the car that was on the other side on a blind bend overtaking – obviously it was out fault.
    The incedent above where we were abused for riding in the lane (and withing 15% of the speed limit)
    Then there was the actual road rage incedent where the guy took a swing at me.
    This was all in Tassie.

Back in the UK beeped at, sworn at shouted at, car pulled over to abuse us after we questioned how safe it was overtaking on blind bends along borrowdale

Plenty more, not riding like a tosser, just in places where people see bikes are in the wrong for being on the road.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Well obviously the bogans are known cyclist haters but I guess I must be lucky and never had anything thrown at me while on the bike.

D0NK

I’ve reported it but they didn’t seem too interested until I told them I’d check the car on MID and it’s not insured.

sadly my experience has been mostly that if all paperwork is legit they don’t give a shit. Have had a couple of positive experiences from reporting terrible driving but as I said it’s mostly as above.

Flaperon

Lancashire police: “We’re not investigating minor road crime any more” after a similar incident.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Whacked by car passenger, worth reporting ?’ is closed to new replies.