Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Weymouth.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Alright for family holidays?

Three generations of my clan are thinking of going next year.

wors

we went to littlesea haven site a couple of years ago just outside weymouth, quite a lot to do and see for everyone.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

In answer to the OP:

Yes.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Good spot for family holidays and access to beautiful West Dorset and it's many and varied delights.

As a town, it's turned into a bit of a toilet though. Then again in my line of work I come into contact with the very worst of the local population so I'm probably not getting a representative view.

trailmonkey

Weymouth itself is a bit scraggy but there are lots of really nice places around it and you can always go into Weymouth for things to do.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

What TM said.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Might jump on the train to Weymouth for a day soon – anyone know if there is any decent riding on/in Portland ?

anthonyb
    Free Member

On hols in Weymouth now. Other halfs parents own a (surprisingly nice) static down here. It's just me, the missus and the dog. It's abit busy in Weymouth itself now during school holidays for my liking, but we tend to stay out of town. Went to Portland today for a costal walk to Portland bill lighthouse. Beautiful walk.
    As mentioned above, plenty to do/see outside of Weymouth itself. And some great restaurants on the old harbour.
    We came down in September last year (without hound) and spent the whole week biking. Not exactly a trail mecha (but I'm spoilt living on the edge of the peaks) but still some fun to be had. Plus do the old railway track out to Portland, then the road climb up to the old quarry. There's a fair bit of easy bridalways to adventure along too. Scenic and sedate really.
    I'm actually just working out where to head off to tomorrow.

sharki
    Free Member

Get to durdle dor Anthony, it's on a little from west lulworth,towrds swanage which is lovely also, you like walking? the whole of the coastal path is a little special if not a little steep in places…Other places of interest are dancing ledge and winspit quarry.

East of Weymouth try Abbottsbury, a gorgeous village, with an Abbey, swannery and St Catherines chapel, beware women go there looking for a husband, not that i saw any there. phew!

As for Wheyhaymouth being a good place to go….well i passed through quickly as far to busy for me, lovely Harbour however. Whilst you're there, be sure to do the portland circular walk, bit a a Jekyll an Hyde stunning views over chesil beach, lots of industry the Bill light house and then past the high fences of the prison then back to stunning views over the bay. About 8 miles round i think, i walked 26 that day which was perfect as i watched the sunset over chesil that evening.

luke
    Free Member

Depends on what your after, when we go on holiday we tend to have an activity planned for each day, and pretty as it is Dorset does lack things to make a full day with if you have kids.
    The sealife centre would fill a couple of hours, Monkey world half a day, the tank museum no more than half a day, the same goes for the swannery and so it continues.
    If your a family that prefers walking or avoiding attractions then Weymouth is ideal, but if it were me I'd head to Devon.

Harry_the_Spider

My kids will be 3 and 1 and the grandparents in their 70s so full days of walking are out at both ends of the spectrum!

yetidave
    Free Member

good sailing

badnewz
    Free Member

my sister and her family had a caravan in the 'haven' there last week , i went down for the weekend. the area is fine but i would avoid the haven campsite, its overcrowded – no real room nxt to caravans, tiny swimming pools, and the staff are a fairly miserable lot.
    The site just down the road, waterside, looked a lot nicer.

Harry_the_Spider

We're looking for a 4 or 5 bedroom cottage.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Weymouth.’ is closed to new replies.