Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • We've not done Greece and the euro tightrope for a while…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’m astonished at the EU are demanding, and how the Greek robogoverment keep bending over for them…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17054220

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There is a very interesting book written by Jason Manolopoulos called “Greece’s ‘Odius’ Debt’ which is subtitled interestingly

“The looting of the Hellenic Republic by the Euro, the Political Elite and the Investment Community.”

A different take on the Troika concept?

We are now reaching the endgame for the tragedy of Greece. For me the question is have the politicians been remarkably stupid or very smart but deceitful? The idea that Greece could avoid default has been peddled by politicians for many months (Greek, European and International) despite the obvious maths that indicate that there is a very, very small chance of this being possible.

In the meantime, draconian austerity measures have been “imposed” on Greek society (wage adjustments etc) because they cannot affect this required international adjustment via the currency. And yet, even these strict measures (if successful) will only deliver Greece to the level of other vulnerable countries by 2020.

So to repeat the question, have the politicians been stupid of very smart and deceitful? I guess the latter. Of course they understand the maths but they have played a false hand for one simple reason, to get enough time to build a firewall sufficiently strong enough to allow for a manageable (??) default by Greece and its possible exit from the euro.

This week, we are seeing signs that the Germans, Fins and Dutch feel the the time is now ready to let Greece go. This is a very dangerous moment for all! Whether they have been smart in the grander scheme of things, well we will see.

Have they been deceitful? Yes, and this comes back to the book. In the end, the real losers are the Greek people who have been looted by the Euro, the political elites and the financial community. A real tragedy but not without precedent.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Given Schauble’s position today (FT), it looks like its becoming increasingly (but not completly) likely that the N Europeans are getting ready to let Greece default/leave the Euro. The rhetoric has completely changed although looks like Schauble and Merkel still do not agree.

Must be intriguing for the lawyers/advisers who are currently seeking a compromise phasing of the next financial package (if it happens at all). Imagine getting the wording right on that????

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

I’m astonished at the EU are demanding, and how the Greek robogoverment keep bending over for them…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17054220
    ultracrepidarious is the word you’re looking for

IanMunro
    Free Member

A Greek work colleague told me last September that it had been worked out that the 23rd of Feb would be the day Greece would go bankrupt. Seemed a bit fancifully specific at the time, but his prediction doesn’t look quite so off now.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ian, that’s very interesting. Wonder where that date came from? Was it a debt roll-over date or something similar? Makes you wonder just how much of this has all been pre-planned behind the scenes?

footflaps

I really feel for them, their country will be economically wrecked for a generation or so (even if some of it was their fault).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘We've not done Greece and the euro tightrope for a while…’ is closed to new replies.